You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What Is The Biggest Flaw In Your Game?

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat

I guess that whatever the stakes, whatever the game, everyone makes mistakes at the table now and again.
So, whether it be MTT, SNG/DYM or Cash, have you identified a problem, but just can't seem to kick it? 
Is there anything about your game you wish you could specifically improve?
Or, are you superhuman and maintain a concentrated mind forever and never put a foot wrong?

I guess I had better own up first.

I almost always play PLO8 DYMs. If you don't know the game, it's (or is for the most part) a game very much card dependant. Hand selection Pre-Flop is probably the most important aspect of the game. Anyways, If I'm involved in a pot and the board is a complete bag of spanners, I find it very hard to accept that people have called a raise Pre-Flop, with the bag of rubbish necessary to have hit the board big. Too many times I'll call with the 3rd or 4th nuts, when I shouldn't be calling, and I'm invariably losing. Easily fixable I know, but quite simply, I'm too often a non-believer.  Far too often I have a finger bouncing up and down ready to click 'call' whilst saying to myself, 'I shouldn't be doing this'. but I will do it anyway!  It's sort of difficult to describe if you don't play the game, it doesn't make me a station, but it's still a flaw and something I will improve upon.

So, without giving too much away about your game, what is you biggest flaw, or to put it more kindly, what one single aspect of your game do you wish you could improve on?

I told Tikay I was gonna start this thread, he kindly asked me to add a note and request that RichOrford doesn't contribute as people won't want to read page after page after page after page after page after page of his self-admitted shortcomings.

GL, run well.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Nice one Mac

Biggest flaw is sitting down with you ! (only kidding) :-)

I've been thinking a lot about this recently , with the bad run i've been having.

I found that i have been 3 betting too much with less than premium hands.
    e.g. AQ36, etc.

Also i'm like you , a non-believer against certain players (need to read notes before clicking) lol.

See you later to see if i've learnt anything !

Edit: I wont mention splits again, promise :-)))
  • edited August 2014
    It's hard to narrow it down to just the one flaw...

But it's probably not paying enough attention to my opposition and making plays which might be solid in isolation, but are utterly ridiculous /obviously losing against the person I'm facing in that hand.

I'm just very, very slow to pick up on other people's habits/tendancies/strategies etc. Not much different to real life to be honest lol.

It does feel a lot more money when you do notice (and exploit) a read, just that it's very, very rare... if only I could concentrate more on the player and not the cards!!
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to What Is The Biggest Flaw In Your Game?:
    I guess that whatever the stakes, whatever the game, everyone makes mistakes at the table now and again. So, whether it be MTT, SNG/DYM or Cash, have you identified a problem, but just can't seem to kick it?  Is there anything about your game you wish you could specifically improve? Or, are you superhuman and maintain a concentrated mind forever and never put a foot wrong? I guess I had better own up first. I almost always play PLO8 DYMs. If you don't know the game, it's (or is for the most part) a game very much card dependant. Hand selection Pre-Flop is probably the most important aspect of the game. Anyways, If I'm involved in a pot and the board is a complete bag of spanners, I find it very hard to accept that people have called a raise Pre-Flop, with the bag of rubbish necessary to have hit the board big. Too many times I'll call with the 3rd or 4th nuts, when I shouldn't be calling, and I'm invariably losing. Easily fixable I know, but quite simply, I'm too often a non-believer .  Far too often I have a finger bouncing up and down ready to click 'call' whilst saying to myself, 'I shouldn't be doing this'. but I will do it anyway!  It's sort of difficult to describe if you don't play the game, it doesn't make me a station, but it's still a flaw and something I will improve upon. So, without giving too much away about your game, what is you biggest flaw, or to put it more kindly, what one single aspect of your game do you wish you could improve on? I told Tikay I was gonna start this thread, he kindly asked me to add a note and request that RichOrford doesn't contribute as people won't want to read page after page after page after page after page after page of his self-admitted shortcomings. GL, run well.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    nice post macac

my biggest flaw is sitting down at a table:@)

Probably being too agressive with risky 2nd nuts not believing like you vespa and still going with it.
    Also playing too many spanner hands too often!
    not really paying attention as i should i,e stop playing fifa on the ps3 at the same time.

but my biggest problem is me and my own game which needs me too go back too the drawing board and start again and figure out why im doing so bad lately... all the best churchy
  • edited August 2014
    I think I have the same leaks as most

Play too many hands (tight is right in HiLo)
    Get too attached to A2
    Overplay AAxx or KKxx hands

Dave
  • edited August 2014
    Putting someone on a range, realising I am behind and then calling anyway 'to prove I am right'.

Dumb.
  • edited August 2014
    my biggest flaw is forgetting to take my dog for a walk and then trying unsuccessfully to bust out of a dym while he gives me the eyes. other than that, im pretty perfect... ish.
  • edited August 2014
    Nice post Mac. 

As a fellow PLO8 dym'er we both know each others game very well.

When I have a bad run (which I currently feel Im having despite breaking even) I sometimes think I am too often the short stack on the bubble and leave myself scrambling either on my own or with the other shortie.

So then I think maybe I need to adjust my tactics and be less tight. I look at the aggressive players cashing in style. But then I shark them and realise most of them are losing long term!

I think these ups and downs keep us guessing and keep us questioning our own tactics which inevitably is the incentive to bring us back to the tables time and time again.
    Maybe Im being too harsh on myself as I do need to remind myself that breaking even is better than average.

My biggest downfall is playing too many hands early on against bad aggressive players as I'm too eager to take their chips and often bust in these games.

Also I shove too often late on with 4 low cards and I lose almost always when called so this is one adjustment I plan to make!

Good luck at the tables mac!
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: What Is The Biggest Flaw In Your Game?:
    Putting someone on a range, realising I am behind and then calling anyway 'to prove I am right'. Dumb.
    Posted by MrWh1te
    Ha.

Gotta agree with this.

It usually works like a charm too.
  • edited August 2014
    my biggest flaw is not playing enough PL08, holdem is a game which is now getting so tight, recently i've seen them come up with a new type of villian called a TAG fish- someone who is excellent preflop but is poor post flop

full houses sets weak flushes... they all were hands that people usually say can't be folded but some villians now show evidence that they can.

so all i need to do is play more omaha and it will become much easier to fold these full houses, sets and flushes.
  • edited August 2014
    Calling for chops....I'm a VIP customer at my local takeaway. So delicious and moreish.

Poker wise, how long is a piece of string?
  • edited August 2014
    My biggest flaw is pressing the confirm button.
    I play my best poker in all in Sats!
  • edited August 2014
    At the moment, it appears to be playing too many hands in the middle stages of Hi-Lo DYMs
  • edited August 2014
    About ten minutes ago it was shoving twenty-one big blinds with pocket 10s in a bounty hunter, over the top of a button raise, because obviously he's going to insta-call me with 4 6 off, and obviously he is going to river a straight to put me out.
  • edited August 2014
    Flaw #2

About an hour ago, whilst holding the stone cold nuts, I folded to a pot raise because I wasn't paying attention, due to giving Tikay some verbal in the chat-box!

That'll learn me.
  • edited August 2014
    Thanks to those that have replied. I find it refreshing to hear about negative aspects of my/our/your own play, when it's being spoken about positively, honestly and without moaning! It can be nothing but enlightening and educational, right?
    Only my opinion of course, but it sure beats chest thumping bravado and endless nonsense about the R.N.G.
    Please keep them coming, there's no shame!
  • edited August 2014
    Thanks to those that have replied. I find it refreshing to hear about negative aspects of my/our/your own play, when it's being spoken about positively, honestly and without moaning! It can be nothing but enlightening and educational, right? Only my opinion of course, but it sure beats chest thumping bravado and endless nonsense about the R.N.G. Please keep them coming, there's no shame!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    So...

...about that RNG...
  • edited August 2014

Ha!
    Love your humour, never cease to make me smile.

• edited August 2014
    Ha! Love your humour, never cease to make me smile.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I've been told if you can make a woman laugh, you're halfway to getting her into bed.

My grandma laughs a lot at my jokes.

I really wish she wouldn't .
  • edited August 2014
    Logging-in.
    Then looking at my cards.
    Finally ending up in the fetal position under the bed ;-(.
  • edited August 2014

Great thread Twiglet Lady.

Mine is lack of concentration, maiinly due to chatting too much in the chat box. I can prove my results are better when I ignore the chat. However, part of the fun IS the chatting, so it's a bit of an awkward situation.

I think, on balance, I'd rather lose a few % points of profit & still chat, as long as I can still turn a profit.

To me, abusing you & MOTHER is part of the fun. You both deserve it, too. You do. 

• edited August 2014
    Just the fact that the adrenaline starts pumping like crazy in £11 DYM's, cos I'm thinking about the money. I'm rolled for games higher than these, but while the good times are back, I'm still recession affected, because of all we went through. I just wanna be able to play as I normally do, instead of it being like I'm having a heart attack for 40 mins! I've won over 70% of every £11 I've played, but I just can't leave the low stakes behind..
  • edited August 2014
    Great thread Twiglet Lady. Mine is lack of concentration, maiinly due to chatting too much in the chat box. I can prove my results are better when I ignore the chat. However, part of the fun IS the chatting, so it's a bit of an awkward situation. I think, on balance, I'd rather lose a few % points of profit & still chat, as long as I can still turn a profit. To me, abusing you & MOTHER is part of the fun. You both deserve it, too. You do.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    That is, er... quite the image, Tikay.
  • edited August 2014

My biggest flaw (there are a few lesser ones too) is playing too many types of games at the same time. I have been known to play 2 or 3 holdem MTTs, a couple of Omaha HL STTs and some straight Omaha cash at the same time and all whilst trying to give Tikay some abuse at the Omaha HL STT tables!

I get confused, my brain hurts, I play badly and then usually lose connection too. All in all not profitable play.   

Also, occasionally making spite calls when I'm pretty sure I'm behind but bored and fed up with being on the wrong end of some bad beats. Making a call thinking 'everyone is doing it to me lets see if I can put a bad beat on someone else' is also not profitable!

• edited August 2014
    Spite calling after seeing bad bet sizing. Limp-shove your aa first level and yes I will call with 88 like an idiot. Overbet with trips...ill call with my overpair. Donk minbet the flop and I will raise any 2 and barrel all streets. Costs me a lot. 
  • edited August 2014

Will have to class drinking alcohol as 1 of my biggest flaws while playing. To much beer leads to silly raiseing out of position and lose calls on the river not the best of combos for winning poker.

• edited August 2014

The biggest flaw 90% of sky players make is not taking TIME into account. We get so much of it with no antes in play.
    I play so much better when I Just walk away in mtt and come back refreshed, chips permitting. A fav has to be when playing at work, I'm just off home lol. A couple of levels out can do anyone the world of good.

Mine has to be none believing aggro spots, always at the wrong time lol
    Rungood 
    JON

• edited August 2014
    Honestly scared of moving up.
    I play for fun micro dym's,freerolls & the odd mtt.Over 6 years my brm has been uber tight as can't afford to redeposit but have built up a big 3 figure sum.I am well over rolled for what I am playing but every time I try to move up the littlest amount it makes me feel uneasy & any bad run knocks my confidence big time.