You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts on AQ and QQ

edited October 2014 in Tournament Strategy
Here's the thing, sometimes I get in sticky spots with these 2 hands. I was just looking for a few different perspectives on how people play with these 2 hands specifically.

Now I know the same variables are going to come up, position, villains range, flop texture etc etc

A few basic questions spring to mind, if there is a raise is QQ always a 3 bet? even oop? Or in position is it a 4bet? (assuming there's been a 3bet obv)

If you're facing a UTG raise, and you're sure they have a narrow range what's your play with AQ QQ OTB? Could you fold either hand pre?

If the villain has a narrow range and you hit the A holding AQ, how do you feel about your hand strength?

I have used those examples, but I am speaking in broader terms too, how to play them down the streets? Getting to showdown cheaply with QQ if there's an A or K on the board.

Any input appreciated.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    QQ for me is almost always a three-bet. There are certain situations where smooth-calling the initial raise may be preferred, but I'm looking to narrow the field when I have queens - not keep everyone in.
  • edited August 2014
    I think early stages you never need to get carried away with qq, obviously if there are a couple of callers you need to be 3 betting, but if the original raiser is 4 betting you then you have to ask yourself whether he would do that with jj and 1010 if he wouldnt then you can fold, no point hoping to see ak. out of position early on i dont mind flatting from the sb or bb as if you 3 bet and hit a dodgy board it makes the hand so hard to play, but by flatting you allow your opponent chance to bet worse pairs on 3 streets if the board is right, and if it is aa, kk you wont go broke. once your down to 30bbs i think its a leak not to get qq in pre if possible, id only fold it 40 bbs deep if i was pretty sure i was beat.
    As for aq, early on its a great hand to flat in position, it plays well and is easy to get away from on most flops, sometimes they will have ak and you might lose a bit on an a high board, but you make more than that back from when they have aj a10... out of position it can be hard to play, with aj aq qk etc oop its sometimes good to play them like a set, if you dont flop top pair or a straight/flush draw just let it go, 
  • edited October 2014
    It really does depend on postions and your reads on the players and of course more importantly stack sizes.

AQ facing an UTG raise vs a tight player when deep in general is just a flat, vs later postions and vs active players it's almost certainly always a 3B.

QQ is totally different. More times than not I'm happy in a 6max game to 4B stack off with QQ. If we're some how really deep which isn't very often in tournaments we can flat call vs tight UTG raises but default for both hands is just to 3B.