You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO8 DYM bubble

edited August 2014 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancegerardirlSmall blind 75.0075.002612.50tikay1Big blind 150.00225.003320.00 Your hole cardsJ72A   xCall 150.00375.004587.50dragon1964Raise 675.001050.00430.00gerardirlFold    tikay1Fold    xCall 525.001575.004062.50Flop  410A   xCheck    dragon1964All-in 430.002005.000.00xCall 430.002435.003632.50
I am shorty by a way and need the double up
Was I correct to pot raise with this hand 
Once he called, I was committed

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Hi again Dragon, I don't remember this as I think it's the game I repped a monster and Ger dumped me out early doors!
    My opinion, for what it's worth after I just told you the above..
    It depends on who player x is.
    Simply, a lot of player x's, will limp into a pot, and 100% of the time call a pot raise which follows. If I knew player x, to be one of the bunch who does that, I'd be folding. If player x had folded, I'd be pot raising too. Both SB and BB have big enough stacks to fold. But if either had a genuine hand, you're getting put all-in and it would be cross fingers time and hope to get lucky.
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Dragon

I have noticed with the 2 hands you have posted, that you are the shorty when getting to the bubble.
    Maybe worth looking at previous hands that that you got involved with that lost you chips.
    Maybe just got a bad beat along the way, but worth looking at.

Also as Mac says, there are 1 or 2 players who will limp their whole range and call a raise, so taking notes is vital.

Gl
    Mick
  • edited August 2014
    Thanks to both for the advice.

As for being the short stack, I have realised I will call in hands with the low draw 
    eg A2xx on 37TK and either not making a low hand or only winning a quarter of pot.
    Certainly something I can look at improving.

As above I don't really know which hands I should be folding or playing in the later stages when blinds are high, particularly when I am one of the shorties.

Thanks again.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM bubble:
    Thanks to both for the advice. As for being the short stack, I have realised I will call in hands with the low draw  eg A2xx on 37TK and either not making a low hand or only winning a quarter of pot. Certainly something I can look at improving. As above I don't really know which hands I should be folding or playing in the later stages when blinds are high, particularly when I am one of the shorties. Thanks again.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Generally, I agree with everyone else on this hand, but lets look at your highlighted point, as I have been watching you, & you do this a lot.  

In my personal view......when we are mid to late stage, with LOW ONLY hands, my preferences, in order, are....

1) Bin it.

2) Pot it.

27) Call with it.

I really think CALLING all-in with Low Only hands (unless we are desperately short) is not a good policy
  • edited August 2014

Let us look at that a bit closer.

Late Stage play.

We are ALWAYS playing for stacks.

We are never folding once we raise.

We MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer to be the raiser than the calleer. If we force folds 50% of the time, we MUST be getting good odds to pot it.

What are the hands we look for late stage, when playing for stacks?

TWO WAY HANDS.

These are (I won't include Aces, as they are obviously a pot bet)....

Any hand which contains these combos.

A-2

A-3

A-4

A-K

A-Q

A-J

A-10

Note they ALL contain an ace. Never go to war without an ace in PLO8, if at all possible. My late stage shoves almost ALWAYS include an Ace, it is so powerful as it can win either or both ends for us.  

And it MUST have both ends.

The absolute best of these (non A-A hands) are any A-2-K-x combo. That is the premium hand we dream of really. In descending order, we can replace the K with any Q or J, & the deuce with any 3, 4 or even 5. But ALWAYS have both ends & the Ace.

Low only hands are fine, but time & place, & only as an emergency.

So many people lose because they over-value A-2 low only hands. It is a terrible mistake, imo, perhaps the worst, & most seen, mistake in PLO8. 

Remember the golden rule of PLO8.

ONLY GO TO WAR WITH POTENTIAL SCOOP HANDS. WINNING HALF THE POT IS NO GOOD.

• edited August 2014
    Hi Everyone,

Been starting to dip my toes into plo8 dym, having initially accidentally registered (wanted plo hi) and wondering what the devil was going on.....lol

I have played a few hands with all of you, I find it a hugely facinating game (playing a few every time I am online) actually wish there was more interest, but perhaps that will come as more people try it, I know i was reluctant for a long time after my first painful introduction ha ha ( i actually read the rules back to front and watched numerous you tube videos, then railed a few games to try and get a feel before finally registering agin for a 0.60p DYM :-)

It is interesting reading this and other threads on the subject, I am still struggling with the levels you guys play at, but I feel I am learning all the time. Hope to see you again on the tables soon.

Neil