You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Psycological issues in moving up

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat
OK looking for some quick advice

I have a major issue which is effecting several aspects of my game. And its became purely psycological. 

I've managed to remove almost every other blocker. I'm crushing games im playing. Both cash and mtt, and have been for a while now when playing. However every time I've moved up i've ran awful. That part is variance whatever move on i get that. 

However its almost became a monkey on my back. 

Recently i sold some stake to higher stake game mtts. At the level i currently play i have a 54% ROI over a reasonable sample. Thats higher than some of the best mtt players on the site at that specific buy in and format. However when i moved up, and part of it was due to variance but it was clear it was a mental block which was also clearly effecting how it play. 

The same issues seem to appear when I'm playing cash. Last time i took a shot i done a -10 buy in session, i didnt run great but i defo could have lost less. That meant i had to move back down and rebuild. 

Im almost at a br level where i can move up again, and this psycological stuff worries me, and would like some basic friendly advice. 

Comments

• edited August 2014
    MTT -

load up games of lower and higher stakes, but cover/hide the bar at the top and bottom that tells you the buy in.
    Won't know whar srakes your playing, just play good poker.
  • edited August 2014

Why not just stay at the levels you "crush" at, but play more at those Levels?

I've never quite understood why the Holy Grail is to play bigger stakes as soon as we can beat a level. Human nature means we tend to try & rise to our level of incompetence.

I'd just stay where you are, play more volume, more tables, & win more that way. The game is far, far, tougher at the higher levels, & you will be swimming in a pond that is filled with extremely good players.

The players in poker I most respect & admire, are those who find their level of competence, stick to it, & survive in the game year after year. There are not many, mind, as everyone aspires to play bigger stakes, where the game is so much tougher. Small & profitable (& enjoyable) beats big & painful all day. 

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Psycological issues in moving up:
    OK looking for some quick advice I have a major issue which is effecting several aspects of my game. And its became purely psycological.  I've managed to remove almost every other blocker. I'm crushing games im playing. Both cash and mtt, and have been for a while now when playing. However every time I've moved up i've ran awful. That part is variance whatever move on i get that.  However its almost became a monkey on my back.  Recently i sold some stake to higher stake game mtts. At the level i currently play i have a 54% ROI over a reasonable sample. Thats higher than some of the best mtt players on the site at that specific buy in and format. However when i moved up, and part of it was due to variance but it was clear it was a mental block which was also clearly effecting how it play.  The same issues seem to appear when I'm playing cash. Last time i took a shot i done a -10 buy in session, i didnt run great but i defo could have lost less. That meant i had to move back down and rebuild.  Im almost at a br level where i can move up again, and this psycological stuff worries me, and would like some basic friendly advice. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    First response is man up!

If you feel its the money involved then get an even bigger roll before you move up. Maybe you could add in one higher value MTT at a time and gradually step up.
  • edited August 2014
    I know what tikay is saying but you won't improve unless you push yourself. 

I would build your roll bigger to lessen the effect a bad run would have and then start by adding the odd bigger level and gradually increase your tables and reduce the lower levels as you get more into it. 
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Psycological issues in moving up:
    I know what tikay is saying but you won't improve unless you push yourself.  I would build your roll bigger to lessen the effect a bad run would have and then start by adding the odd bigger level and gradually increase your tables and reduce the lower levels as you get more into it. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    You can push yourself by playing more tables at a level you can beat. You don't need to go busto trying to prove you can beat higher levels. Just keep on winning at the stakes you usually play, but play more & win more. What's not to like?  
  • edited August 2014
    stick to what ya at why move up if ya crushing the games ya playing

i notice alot of difference on here if u play a £1.10  -  £3.30  mtt to when u play a £11  £22 mtt   stick to what ya know
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Psycological issues in moving up : First response is man up! If you feel its the money involved then get an even bigger roll before you move up. Maybe you could add in one higher value MTT at a time and gradually step up.
    Posted by MattBates
  • edited August 2014
    fwiw the mtts is purely so i can double my volume by adding in the higher level, actually on some days i could even get an extra mtt out of that too. Which is handy. (mains/minis). In the games i've played there defo doesn't seem to be too much in the way of ability differance. 

The cash is purely because i feel my ability as a player at my current level isn't going to improve much further, although a couple of things could improve. I find my self often getting bored in sessions and i start auto piloting currently. 

Fwiw i do agree with the comments about the bigger BR thats a defo must. 

• edited August 2014
    fwiw the mtts is purely so i can double my volume by adding in the higher level, actually on some days i could even get an extra mtt out of that too. Which is handy. (mains/minis). In the games i've played there defo doesn't seem to be too much in the way of ability differance.  The cash is purely because i feel my ability as a player at my current level isn't going to improve much further, although a couple of things could improve. I find my self often getting bored in sessions and i start auto piloting currently.  Fwiw i do agree with the comments about the bigger BR thats a defo must. 
    Posted by The_Don90

Don please don't take this the wrong way but one of the answers is to sort yourself out a career. You are still young, poker wont go away overnight. Having a steady wage (even if its not megabucks) will allow you to take shots at higher levels with the knowledge that you can reload easily if it goes belly up. 

You will then when you get time to play, appreciate it more and be more focused than if you got the whole day and you cant find the motivation to grind, as I know is the case at times.  

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Psycological issues in moving up : You can push yourself by playing more tables at a level you can beat. You don't need to go busto trying to prove you can beat higher levels. Just keep on winning at the stakes you usually play, but play more & win more. What's not to like?   
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm not sure I can agree with this. I guess there is more of a case for it if you are playing, what, NL100/NL200, bringing in a few grand a month that more than covers the bills for 40 hours work per week and the ability to earn overtime if you need to pick up some bonus cash / push to win rake race for an annual bonus

But for those further down the chain, taking shots at higher levels seems a fairly sensible thing to do - both from a money making point of view (because if it turns out you can beat the higher level, happy days) and from trying to better yourself / take on more of a challenge.  There's a definite difference in how much thought you have to put into the game from NL4 through to NL20 and I'm sure that becomes more fun and involved as you go even higher (if I ever have the roll to try the next levels up).

I'm not sure that just adding tables really changes your game that much (albeit maybe highlighting some of the things you aren't good enough to do on autopilot) and, even more so with the latest software, there is a ceiling of how many you can run before your computer can't cope and the game becomes unplayable.

In response to OP - I'd suggest that bankroll may be key, the bigger the buffer, the less you'll be influenced by trying to survive in tournaments (to min cash and avoid a big hit to the roll) vs playing your normal game and going for the win.

There may also be something about finding ways to improve your focus on the game / oppos. If you have spent a large amount of time at lower limits, you could well be slipping into autopilot to some extent, using plays that beat the majority in low stakes, but need more care and attention as you play more skilled opponents.

I have the same head-issue at the moment when trying to step up in cash so will follow the thread with interest. Good luck with the shot taking Don!
  • edited August 2014
    Shakin is pretty much spot on.

Adding more tables at stakes you already beat actually has an adverse effect on your ability imo. It may earn you more £ in the short term but will not help you move up and improve.

My advice would be to add a couple of tables at next limit up. So if you normally play 6 at your current level try 4 and 2 to start with.

And a big +1 to having a bigger BR. 

• edited August 2014
    For cash...

Having a bigger roll wont neccesserily help in my experience. 

Staying at 1 level for too long trying to become overrolled to tackle the next level can be counter productive. 

If it is psychological, take shots but sell some of your action. So you're effectively playing your usual stakes but at a higher level. 

If it works out, you'll begin to feel comfortable and any mental barriers which were there will be lifted. You should then be able to go on your own as bankroll isn't the issue. 

If it doesn't work, rebuild and try again. 

If it continues to not work, it's probably more than just a psychological issue. 

-------

For mtts don't bother. 

All the value for a player of your (and my) ability is at micro stakes. Spread your roll around 3/4 sites and play high volume with a $5 abi or something. 

Invest in a box of stress balls first. 
  • edited August 2014
    For cash... Having a bigger roll wont neccesserily help in my experience.  Staying at 1 level for too long trying to become overrolled to tackle the next level can be counter productive.  If it is psychological, take shots but sell some of your action. So you're effectively playing your usual stakes but at a higher level.  If it works out, you'll begin to feel comfortable and any mental barriers which were there will be lifted. You should then be able to go on your own as bankroll isn't the issue.  If it doesn't work, rebuild and try again.  If it continues to not work, it's probably more than just a psychological issue.  ------- For mtts don't bother.  All the value for a player of your (and my) ability is at micro stakes. Spread your roll around 3/4 sites and play high volume with a $5 abi or something.  Invest in a box of stress balls first. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    JJ check your PM's please
  • edited August 2014
    Hey Don

I'm exactly the same as you when it comes to playing higher/ bigger games.

The standard is better, but not massively. A lot of regs will play the same levels, 10nl and 20nl.

Good idea to try 3/4 tabling, or a couple less tables than you would normally play.

Spend some time getting an idea of how people play, loose/ tight players.

Also a good idea to check what tables people are playing to check out if they are regs or 1 tabling. When you move up, you will know some of the players, but there will prob be many more regs you have not come across before.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Psycological issues in moving up : You can push yourself by playing more tables at a level you can beat. You don't need to go busto trying to prove you can beat higher levels. Just keep on winning at the stakes you usually play, but play more & win more. What's not to like?   
    Posted by Tikay10
    I,m having a similar problem to Don.

I.m playing £2 - £5 satelites and have a good record in them , but when i get to the £30 - £55 games i,m falling short and its getting to the point where i,m now thinking of just buying str8 into the target tournaments and then de-reging after playing the satelites ( therefore just taking the cash). In the last 10 -15 £33 and £55 Bounty hunters on here i think i,ve taken 1 head and its become a physcological thing.

I don,t want to take the cash by reging and de-reging as these are the games i want to be playing in.

Any advice appreciated
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Psycological issues in moving up : I,m having a similar problem to Don. I.m playing £2 - £5 satelites and have a good record in them , but when i get to the £30 - £55 games i,m falling short and its getting to the point where i,m now thinking of just buying str8 into the target tournaments and then de-reging after playing the satelites ( therefore just taking the cash). In the last 10 -15 £33 and £55 Bounty hunters on here i think i,ve taken 1 head and its become a physcological thing. I don,t want to take the cash by reging and de-reging as these are the games i want to be playing in. Any advice appreciated
    Posted by MP33
    If you're regularly satting into the larger events then I don't think you're doing too much wrong, regardless of how early you may bust. The Main events and that £55 BH especially attract some very solid players, so making money in these is never gonna be easy. But if you're getting in for a few quid then I wouldn't worry about it too much.....just enjoy playing against some of the sites best players, play your normal game, safe in the knowledge that you have only stumped up a few quid for the privilege.

Buying direct into the £33 and £55 games direct can ruin your bankroll, trust me I know!
  • edited August 2014
    Why not just stay at the levels you "crush" at, but play more at those Levels? I've never quite understood why the Holy Grail is to play bigger stakes as soon as we can beat a level. Human nature means we tend to try & rise to our level of incompetence. I'd just stay where you are, play more volume, more tables, & win more that way. The game is far, far, tougher at the higher levels, & you will be swimming in a pond that is filled with extremely good players. The players in poker I most respect & admire, are those who find their level of competence, stick to it, & survive in the game year after year. There are not many, mind, as everyone aspires to play bigger stakes, where the game is so much tougher. Small & profitable (& enjoyable) beats big & painful all day.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Big plus 1 to this my good man,I have been playing poker for a number of years and play between 2 and 5 pound buy ins,I am a profitable player but most importantly I don't play for money as I find if I do that it sort of ruins the enjoyment,When I get a decent cash I withdraw some and spend it on my family which earns me big brownie points:) win win situation.
  • edited August 2014
    For cash... Having a bigger roll wont neccesserily help in my experience.  Staying at 1 level for too long trying to become overrolled to tackle the next level can be counter productive.  If it is psychological, take shots but sell some of your action. So you're effectively playing your usual stakes but at a higher level.  If it works out, you'll begin to feel comfortable and any mental barriers which were there will be lifted. You should then be able to go on your own as bankroll isn't the issue.  If it doesn't work, rebuild and try again.  If it continues to not work, it's probably more than just a psychological issue.  ------- For mtts don't bother.  All the value for a player of your (and my) ability is at micro stakes. Spread your roll around 3/4 sites and play high volume with a $5 abi or something.  Invest in a box of stress balls first. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

I agree with the bolded bit. I think for most MTT players the value isn't as much in grinding one site to death but having a main site and then cherry picking other good value MTTs from other sites. This will give you issues with spreading £ around sites but you can slowly add in sites.

Working out your most profitable level MTT wise is actually quite an interesting discussion. I think a lot of players try and play above their most optimum level and in doing so lose a lot of value. It is very easy to look at whats ftw and let that cloud your judgement. I guess once you get a decent sample size you can work out what is best but to get that sample size you can have lost a load of value in the meantime. MTTs are about getting top 3 finishes so your best playing the games that give you the most top 3 finishes.

Again, I will go back to my first comment I made in this thread....man up! All poker is full of emotion, the best hand wont always win (especially if your in a hand v me). Accept that fact and make sure your making the right plays irrespective of the results, this can mean we can review hands and accept we won but played a hand bad.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Psycological issues in moving up : I agree with the bolded bit. I think for most MTT players the value isn't as much in grinding one site to death but having a main site and then cherry picking other good value MTTs from other sites. This will give you issues with spreading £ around sites but you can slowly add in sites. Working out your most profitable level MTT wise is actually quite an interesting discussion. I think a lot of players try and play above their most optimum level and in doing so lose a lot of value. It is very easy to look at whats ftw and let that cloud your judgement. I guess once you get a decent sample size you can work out what is best but to get that sample size you can have lost a load of value in the meantime. MTTs are about getting top 3 finishes so your best playing the games that give you the most top 3 finishes. Again, I will go back to my first comment I made in this thread....man up! All poker is full of emotion, the best hand wont always win (especially if your in a hand v me). Accept that fact and make sure your making the right plays irrespective of the results, this can mean we can review hands and accept we won but played a hand bad.
    Posted by MattBates
    Cheers Matt. I am sticking to one disipline of MTT now. sample size is 330 game which i know isnt massive - think you have a sample of 500 games for same disipline/buy in - i compared our ROI's - i wont say who's was better ;) 

Agree that multiple sites is defo the way forward. I wont say which site, but theres a site that i think has a low stakes mtt schedule during the day that crushes every other site, and i don't have a single cent on it. 

I do need to man up, 100% agree there. Won't even lie. Think I'm slowly getting there. 
  • edited August 2014

I'm really quite surprised so many folks think Don should move up the levels.

Did you not read his previous Diaries? It always seemed to end in pain. I read every page, every day, & ached for him.

Don described himself as having "the mental strength of a cabbage", so that's why I truly believe that if he is genuinely winning now ("crushing"), then that must be fun, very satisfying. Why forsake that for the near inevitable stress & angst if things go wrong at higher levels? The higher the levels, the more the stress.....

I have no idea how much "crushing" means in monetary terms, but lets call it, say, £50 per week. That's £2,500 in 12 months, well on the way to a Vegas trip. Surely that must appeal? £25, £50, £100 a week soon adds up, dripping taps soon fill baths & all that.

But instead of that steady success, we want him to move up to where the game gets a lot tougher.

Is that REALLY wise? Would you tell your Son to do that?

I'm not trying to be Mr Wet Blanket, I genuinely want him to succeeed, as in enjoy his poker.

I still think he'd be better doubling his volume at the levels he "crushes".

Anyway, good luck Don, I hope you choose the right paty, & get the lot, I really do, & I shall read the diary every day. I used to sort of steel myself to open your Diaries, as you really seemed to be hurting so many times, & it was often a painful read if you really care about folks.   

Good luck Don, truly.
  • edited August 2014
    what are your reasons for moving up?
    are you playing for fun still at the higher levels or are you more serious?
    are you not having fun where you are now?
    if you aren't, do a table at the higher level and see if you enjoy it more

I've thought long and hard about moving up from the lowest stakes but, as I play for fun mostly and am profitable, I haven't bothered. I'm not thinking of making a career out of it. I have one and a young family. Poker is just one part of my life. I have enough stress from the rest!!  

I also followed your previous diaries willing you on as I, like everyone else, will continue to do so if you start another one.

good luck with your decision. 
    David 
  • edited August 2014

It's a competative game, moving up and challenging yourself is part of the fun. 

I agree there's nothing wrong with finding your level and being content with that. But Dons level is at least a few above nl4. 

Everyone who's ever deposited on the site has moved up at least 1 level at some point, from freeplay games online/with friends, to real money games.

fwiw Don still has his massive blowups even though he's 'crushing'. 

He manages them better now, but they will never go away no matter how much he wins. Doesn't mean he isn't enjoying it most of the time.  

It's only nl4 to nl10..........
  • edited August 2014
    It's a competative game, moving up and challenging yourself is part of the fun.  I agree there's nothing wrong with finding your level and being content with that. But Dons level is at least a few above nl4.  Everyone who's ever deposited on the site has moved up at least 1 level at some point, from freeplay games online/with friends, to real money games. fwiw Don still has his massive blowups even though he's 'crushing'.  He manages them better now, but they will never go away no matter how much he wins. Doesn't mean he isn't enjoying it most of the time.   It's only nl4 to nl10..........
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    agree with you
    if I could put the time in I'd want to move up also
    enjoyment is the key