You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Challenge the nonsense.

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat

We have all seen & read, way too many times, that ridiculous expression....

"show me a good loser, & I'll show you a loser".

It is, of course, utter nonsense.

Yesterday, elsewhere, I saw a Post by a pal of mine called Stu Barnett, who many of you may have met at UKPC last week, where he had a deep run or two.

He adapted that cliche into a much better version.

".....To be a winner at poker you must be very good at losing...."

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Meh, that phrase is ok but come on its no "Poker is a never ending game"

(c) Carlo Citrone
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Challenge the nonsense.:
    We have all seen & read, way too many times, that ridiculous expression.... "show me a good loser, & I'll show you a loser". It is, of course, utter nonsense. Yesterday, elsewhere, I saw a Post by a pal of mine called Stu Barnett, who many of you may have met at UKPC last week, where he had a deep run or two.   He adapted that cliche into a much better version. ".....To be a winner at poker you must be very good at losing...."
    Posted by Tikay10
    im good at the latter part of the sentence its the 1st part i struggle with :)
  • edited August 2014
    Tikay I have used a variation of Mr Barnetts a few times on Sky. To be used when the hand winner is less than courteous. " The only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner".
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Challenge the nonsense.:
    Tikay I have used a variation of Mr Barnetts a few times on Sky. To be used when the hand winner is less than courteous. " The only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner".
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    I like that just as much.

As it happens, bad losers are also often (but not always) bad winners.

• edited August 2014
    I am ALWAYS being told I am both a bad winner and a bad loser :/
  • edited August 2014
    I've been accused of being a bad player at times, but am neither a significant winner or loser. So can I be a bad-break-evener?
  • edited August 2014
    Tbh I am a bad loser and a bad winner but it is kind of forced on me.

Take crib for instance.  I play with the missus/inlaws.  When I win I get 'oh look at him gloat'.  When I lose I get 'hahahaha you lost'.

When you get hammered whether you win or lose, you give them a bit of gib back.

I am like it in all games though, I am banned from monopoly (everyone refused to trade with me but traded with each other 'because if we trade you win', so of course the board went flying.

And things like trivial pursuit, they make my answers have to be exactly the same as on the card, but theres have a bit of artistic licence.  Board went flying then too.

It is hard being at the top (that is not to say I am clever, I am not particulary, my family just happen to be especially dumb!)
  • edited August 2014
    If winning or losing effects your mentality at all then i think thats just a leak in your game, if you are playing well then be happy, if you arent playing too well then work out where you are going wrong. results should just be irrelevent.

i get more satisfaction from winning a tournament for £500 than i get from maybe finishing 4th/5th in a main event for £800. does anyone else find that? money is great but taking a tournament down is surely the best feeling in poker?

But that is slightly off topic, the first 6 months i had playing poker i was breakeven at best and it was only when  i learnt to embrace losing that i managed to improve as a player. 
  • edited August 2014
    Its been one of the biggest improvements in the game this year, taking bad beats, if you cant handle them you wont win at poker. Keep emotion out the game,
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Challenge the nonsense. : im good at the latter part of the sentence its the 1st part i struggle with :)
    Posted by stokefc
    not when I've been on your table!!!!
    :)))
  • edited August 2014

Most successful Male player in the World = Phil Hellmuth?

Most successful Female player in the World = Vanessa Selbst?

Probably numbers 1 and 2 on the 'Worst losers' list. 
  • edited August 2014
    Most successful Male player in the World = Phil Hellmuth? Most successful Female player in the World = Vanessa Selbst? Probably numbers 1 and 2 on the 'Worst losers' list. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    so your saying there is hope for me yet ;) 

• edited August 2014

Poker is just a constantly revolving door on a personal level ive had a very good year so far,so confidence was very high and playing well,but im on the flip side for the last 6 0r 7 weeks were nothing is going my way and to be honest its being able to still play correctly through a downswing should make you a stronger player (well thats the hope anyway)..
    I'm not a person who  would get abusive when i loose a big pot (small rant maybe) then i just move on,if you cant take loosing at this game maybe you should just take up knitting...

• edited August 2014
    Poker is just a constantly revolving door on a personal level ive had a very good year so far,so confidence was very high and playing well,but im on the flip side for the last 6 0r 7 weeks were nothing is going my way and to be honest its being able to still play correctly through a downswing should make you a stronger player (well thats the hope anyway).. I'm not a person who  would get abusive when i loose a big pot (small rant maybe) then i just move on,if you cant take loosing at this game maybe you should just take up knitting...
    Posted by neil1970
    Look forward to the 'knitting is rigged' thread.

Some delicious punage right there.
  • edited August 2014
    someone who i will not name called me childish and boring,and that it was time i grew up,THIS PERSON SAID TRISH YOU ARE A ADULT,ACT LIKE ONE,NOW THAT IS POKER :):):):)
  • edited August 2014
    someone who i will not name called me childish and boring,and that it was time i grew up,THIS PERSON SAID TRISH YOU ARE A ADULT,ACT LIKE ONE,NOW THAT IS POKER :):):):)
    Posted by paige55
    Well if that person really said that to you then he/she is a fool. I know it's hard to ignore but do it and don't let it get to you. I mean ... "A adult". That's basic English fail.

• edited August 2014
    NoseyBonk you posted on the thread i was talking about,:):)
  • edited August 2014
    I must get some new glasses

I thought it said "to be a winner at poker you must be very good at boozing!"

I resemble that remark but sadly not the first part!
  • edited August 2014

yep i am good at boozing,but 1 drink and then 1 coffee,hope that helps :):):):):):):)

• edited August 2014

Had Enough yet, not me xxx, just waiting for the rabbit :):):)

• edited August 2014
    come on rabbit  i am waiting
  • edited August 2014
    come play me on the tables
  • edited August 2014
    come on rabbit  i am waiting
    Posted by paige55
    Make sure it has batteries in it and look for the 'on' button/switch.

Hope this helps.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Challenge the nonsense.:
    We have all seen & read, way too many times, that ridiculous expression.... "show me a good loser, & I'll show you a loser". It is, of course, utter nonsense. Yesterday, elsewhere, I saw a Post by a pal of mine called Stu Barnett, who many of you may have met at UKPC last week, where he had a deep run or two.   He adapted that cliche into a much better version. ".....To be a winner at poker you must be very good at losing...."
    Posted by Tikay10
    Possibly my favourite quote.

Pokerwise, i still agree long term.
  • edited August 2014
    Most successful Male player in the World = Phil Hellmuth? Most successful Female player in the World = Vanessa Selbst? Probably numbers 1 and 2 on the 'Worst losers' list. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Is RIGHT......but WRONG.

They are both Poker Pros, poker is their JOB. Jobs are stressful sometimes.

On Sky Poker, 99.5% of the players - more maybe? are NOT poker pros, they play poker as a recreation.

"Recreation", as in tending an allotment, playing crown green bowls, fishing, watching movies. If any of those recreations caused us to behave like a nimcompoop, we'd not do them, as we play for fun.

How we react to winning & losing defines us us people, & poker is very good at exposing our true character. 

• edited August 2014

After seeing the subject title,  I thought this was gonna be about responding to TK's chatbox moments!

Anyhow, about a billion years ago, an athletics coach said to me "You need to learn from your failings, before you can learn how to win"

That sort of nails it I think.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Challenge the nonsense. : Is RIGHT......but WRONG. They are both Poker Pros, poker is their JOB. Jobs are stressful sometimes. On Sky Poker, 99.5% of the players - more maybe? are NOT poker pros, they play poker as a recreation. "Recreation", as in tending an allotment, playing crown green bowls, fishing, watching movies. If any of those recreations caused us to behave like a nimcompoop, we'd not do them, as we play for fun. How we react to winning & losing defines us us people, & poker is very good at exposing our true character.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    It doesn't really apply to me as I'm too laid back to get aggro about it when things don't go my way (in all fields of life), but plenty of other recreations cause way worse anger issues than a few snide comments in a poker chatbox.

Head down to watch any local Sunday league football game and you'll soon appreciate what I mean!!

Not sure it even detracts from their fun. I think the angry guys wouldn't enjoy these activities as much if it they didn't get the blood pumping and emotions fluctuating.

In fact, in many ways it's probably an extension of your point about Hellmuth and Selbst. The recs have had to bite their tongue in front of colleagues, the visiting mother-in-law, the noisy kids - meaning that the poker tables feel like a safer environment to release that pent up stress / anger.
  • edited August 2014
    But why do so many people seem to have so much pent up stress/anger? And why do they feel they can take it out on people they don't even know?

Life is full of challenges. Being happy shouldn't be of them.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Challenge the nonsense. : Is RIGHT......but WRONG. They are both Poker Pros, poker is their JOB. Jobs are stressful sometimes. On Sky Poker, 99.5% of the players - more maybe? are NOT poker pros, they play poker as a recreation. "Recreation", as in tending an allotment, playing crown green bowls, fishing, watching movies. If any of those recreations caused us to behave like a nimcompoop, we'd not do them, as we play for fun. How we react to winning & losing defines us us people, & poker is very good at exposing our true character.     
    Posted by Tikay10

Not sure i agree.  I would poker is more of a sport than a recreation. In sport the reason why we play and watch these hobbies is for the competition (vs our opponents and ourselves) and the highs and lows that go with success and failure. Anger is a natural by product of such hobbies. Our ability to control this anger defines us as a competitor. 

Our true character can be completely different. For instance outside of competitive sports/hobbies im as chilled out and as easy going as they come but im a different animal once i can beat something or someone. I get annoyed and angry when i lose and im delighted and hapoy when i win. I enjoy the swings in emotion these hobbies bring. If i was unmoved win or lose i wouldnt play. 

Below sums up my thoughts:

You must never be satisfied with losing. You must get angry, terribly angry, about losing. But the mark of the good loser is that he takes his anger out on himself and not his victorious opponents or on his teammates.
    Richard nixon

• edited August 2014
     Learning how to be a better loser --- hmmmm--- could be the best advice I've ignored for a long time --- thanks Tikay!