You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Turning our hand into a bluff

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
lJAMESl Small blind   £1.50 £1.50 £529.37
PCPara Big blind   £3.00 £4.50 £164.99
  Your hole cards

BrownnDog Fold        
Sharksbite Fold        
Villain Raise   £9.00 £13.50 £553.68
red16 Fold        
lJAMESl Call   £7.50 £21.00 £521.87
PCPara Fold        
Flop

• K

lJAMESl Check        
Villain Bet   £14.00 £35.00 £539.68
lJAMESl Call   £14.00 £49.00 £507.87
Turn

• A

lJAMESl Check        
Villain Bet   £40.00 £89.00 £499.68
lJAMESl Raise   £111.00 £200.00 £396.87
Villain Call   £71.00 £271.00 £428.68
River

lJAMESl ????        

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Villain is a good LAG, thinks deeply about the game and knows I am capable of making moves and representing hands.

Preflop I elect to flat call knowing that villain will probably call my 3bet light or possibly even 4bet me light and we don't really want to get in 6s preflop so a call here is the best option.

Villain cbets about 80% of flops and espesh ones he thinks he can represent well, here I decide to flat call knowing that my 6s are good most of the time. On the turn an Ace comes I know Villain will be thinking this is a great card to represent and even may of turned a pair of aces here in the process, he bets £40 I decide that now my 6s are pretty much worthless and this is also a good card for me to represent as I could easily be on a flush draw so I decide to reraise I make it £111 to go, I'm pretty much expecting the Villain to fold his Kings here if he had one and even fold an ace some of the time. He decides to call.

Now I figure villain for an Ace with either a big spade e.g. AJ with the Jack of spades AQ with the Q of spades or perhaps even A3 with a wheel draw omaybe even A4 for two pair. I think he calls here, expecting me to give up on alot of rivers if I am bluffin and his ace to be good at showdown.

The river comes a 5 which in turn pairs the board giving all Ace hands two pair Aces and 5s with a king kicker, the problem I have here is I cannot now overbet-shove to represent the ace as I will suddenly be representing a fullhouse instead so I have to be careful about my decision, do I check and give up or do I make a value sized bet to make the villain fold his Ace?

If so what bet size should I make it? I've already discussed why an allin will look too bluffy.

Would like to hear peoples thoughts. And will show the results and my final decision later on.

James
  • edited January 2010
    Playing hands like this OOP is tricky, isn't it?   :-)

Without your knowledge of your opponent, I think that I would often try to check raise the flop if I am going to have a try at taking the pot. I only defer and check raise the turn in spots like this if I think my opponent is at "a level" where he would be able to fold here. In my mind, the deferred check-raise looks extremely strong.
    Having tried this move (and failed) I'm a wuss and think that I generally give up at this point. I place him on at least a decent ace (probably with the draws that you have indicated) and I can't think of a bet-size that I would want to make that would take the pot down from someone who I think is likely to call. As you said, any ace looks strong after the river. With the As & Ks on the board, we can really only represent suited (gapped) connectors for the flush or a full house and I hate to try and represent hands that my opponent may well be holding.

In summary, I surrender.
  • edited January 2010
    Turn is total spew if you don't intend to follow this through, though personally I think the size of the raise makes it spew if you barrel river too anyway.

You do realise you rep nothing right? 

A set raises flop, as does most flush draws apart from maybe the 910s area.

Kings check/call 3 streets hoping for blanks usually so your turn raise makes no sense - it looks like 99-66 doing what you're doing, small kings in your spot fold turn to 2nd barrel, KQ/KJ might hold on for 1 more street with a spade.

Two pair wise you only rep A5 as 54/A4 flat turn hoping for river blank to c/c because we're deep. Most people don't even raise A5 here..

So in a straight forward pot at river on this board with previous action you rep a medium sized flush which you'll now only half bet river due to a paired board, where he can easily rep a full house cause of his turn flat and you now get called by AJ/AQ/AK or lower flush and get raised by numerous hands along with some bluffs because if he's decent like you say he'll know he can rep a lot from his turn play and fold out any hand worse than J high flush with an all in over you.

If you have an argument against this play being total spew I'd like to hear a thought process.

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Turning our hand into a bluff:
    Turn is total spew if you don't intend to follow this through, though personally I think the size of the raise makes it spew if you barrel river too anyway. You do realise you rep nothing right?  A set raises flop, as does most flush draws apart from maybe the 910s area. Kings check/call 3 streets hoping for blanks usually so your turn raise makes no sense - it looks like 99-66 doing what you're doing, small kings in your spot fold turn to 2nd barrel, KQ/KJ might hold on for 1 more street with a spade. Two pair wise you only rep A5 as 54/A4 flat turn hoping for river blank to c/c because we're deep. Most people don't even raise A5 here.. So in a straight forward pot at river on this board with previous action you rep a medium sized flush which you'll now only half bet river due to a paired board, where he can easily rep a full house cause of his turn flat and you now get called by AJ/AQ/AK or lower flush and get raised by numerous hands along with some bluffs because if he's decent like you say he'll know he can rep a lot from his turn play and fold out any hand worse than J high flush with an all in over you. If you have an argument against this play being total spew I'd like to hear a thought process.
    Posted by zing

+ 1 I would probably fold aswell like merenovice and zing as u really dont rep much.

A guess there could be a argument for a bet if he thinks you are tricky/unorthodox player instead of a solid good tag.

If i was going to bet it would probably be between 1/3 and 1/2 pot. (praying they fold aj,aq etc)

As your deep u obviously have to at least call just for the implied odds of hitting a set, if i was 100bb deep i would probably fold this against this player.(if my 3bet wasnt getting any credit.)

Is that being a huge nit? What would evreyone else do 100bb deep?

Deuce

• edited January 2010
    Turn is total spew if you don't intend to follow this through, though personally I think the size of the raise makes it spew if you barrel river too anyway. You do realise you rep nothing right?  A set raises flop, as does most flush draws apart from maybe the 910s area. Kings check/call 3 streets hoping for blanks usually so your turn raise makes no sense - it looks like 99-66 doing what you're doing, small kings in your spot fold turn to 2nd barrel, KQ/KJ might hold on for 1 more street with a spade. Two pair wise you only rep A5 as 54/A4 flat turn hoping for river blank to c/c because we're deep. Most people don't even raise A5 here.. So in a straight forward pot at river on this board with previous action you rep a medium sized flush which you'll now only half bet river due to a paired board, where he can easily rep a full house cause of his turn flat and you now get called by AJ/AQ/AK or lower flush and get raised by numerous hands along with some bluffs because if he's decent like you say he'll know he can rep a lot from his turn play and fold out any hand worse than J high flush with an all in over you. If you have an argument against this play being total spew I'd like to hear a thought process.
    Posted by zing
    Erm wrong, to always check-raise sets and flush draws here on this flop is a massive mistake, firstly you can't balance your range for when you have a flush draw and turn the flush or when you flop a set and check/raise a blank turn. Against a player like this we are going to get owned always check/raising flush draws here. I take it you play lower limits and always play your hands the same? Which is massively exploitable by the way, I would just float you in position everytime you check-raised a nothing flop like so with your flushdraws and you would end up giving up on blank turns or would get called down light.

Hello! We are representing a flush draw flatting here and calling is absolutely fine and the raise is perfect if we want to get maximum value from our hand (flush). Why on earth would I raise 2 pair on this turn? would be the dumbest raise of all time lol. He's never going to rep a house here unless he has it, this is a good player we are talking about who is pretty sure I wont fold my flush, and for him to turn his pair into a bluff is pointless he has to decide now whether his ace is good and whether he believes I truly do have the flush.
  • edited January 2010
    lJAMESl Small blind   £1.50 £1.50 £529.37
    PCPara Big blind   £3.00 £4.50 £164.99
      Your hole cards

BrownnDog Fold        
    Sharksbite Fold        
    Villain Raise   £9.00 £13.50 £553.68
    red16 Fold        
    lJAMESl Call   £7.50 £21.00 £521.87
    PCPara Fold        
    Flop

• K

lJAMESl Check        
    Villain Bet   £14.00 £35.00 £539.68
    lJAMESl Call   £14.00 £49.00 £507.87
    Turn

• A

lJAMESl Check        
    Villain Bet   £40.00 £89.00 £499.68
    lJAMESl Raise   £111.00 £200.00 £396.87
    Villain Call   £71.00 £271.00 £428.68
    River

lJAMESl Bet   £160.00 £431.00 £236.87
    Villain Fold        
    lJAMESl Muck        
    lJAMESl Win   £429.20   £666.07
  • edited January 2010
    I'll demonstrate 2 examples as to why its important to not always reraise the flop with sets and flush draws, although in these instances I am in position, will show a successful win with a hand out of OOP like this once I have one that hasnt been deleted from the HH. Notice on the first hand my raise is smaller than above due to stack sizes. I give him just enough room to shove over the top of me making him think I may fold, this is why you shouldn't always bet your flush on the turn but imo I bet sometimes and I check sometimes as I like to mix my game up all the time.
    lolufold Small blind   £1.00 £1.00 £227.73
    Cutiepie81 Big blind   £2.00 £3.00 £201.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

babyhippo Fold        
    STANTH Fold        
    lJAMESl Raise   £6.00 £9.00 £381.09
    Villain Call   £6.00 £15.00 £176.15
    lolufold Fold        
    Cutiepie81 Fold        
    Flop

lJAMESl Bet   £10.00 £25.00 £371.09
    Villain Call   £10.00 £35.00 £166.15

• J

lJAMESl Check        
    Villain Bet   £35.00 £70.00 £131.15
    lJAMESl Raise   £70.00 £140.00 £301.09
    Villain All-in   £131.15 £271.15 £0.00
    lJAMESl Call   £96.15 £367.30 £204.94
    lJAMESl Show
    • A

Villain Show
    • Q
    • A

River

lJAMESl Win Flush to the Ace £365.50   £570.44
  • edited January 2010
    By just flatting on the flop we are allowing villain to hang himself with Bluffs, Flush draws, Combo draws and single pair hands on the turn although in this instance villain was never folding the flop as he was huge but we managed to get him allin on the turn with just 9 outs a huge dog. If we reraise (3bet) the flop with our set he folds all bluffs, all single pairs and has to shove or fold most flush draws. By getting to the turn we are leaving villain with less outs and getting him to barrel a second bullet with his bluffs and semi bluffs, also he may bet his ace for protection thinking he is good. This is a great way to balance your range imo.
    Keysasoze6 Small blind   £2.50 £2.50 £1505.70
    Villain Big blind   £5.00 £7.50 £695.70
      Your hole cards

lJAMESl Raise   £15.00 £22.50 £647.10
    Keysasoze6 Fold        
    Villain Raise   £45.00 £67.50 £650.70
    lJAMESl Call   £35.00 £102.50 £612.10
    Flop

• A

Villain Check        
    lJAMESl Bet   £50.00 £152.50 £562.10
    Villain Raise   £110.00 £262.50 £540.70
    lJAMESl Call   £60.00 £322.50 £502.10
    Turn

Villain Bet   £210.00 £532.50 £330.70
    lJAMESl All-in   £502.10 £1034.60 £0.00
    Villain Call   £292.10 £1326.70 £38.60
    Villain Show
    • A

lJAMESl Show

River

lJAMESl Win Full House, 4s and 7s £1324.90   £1324.90

• edited January 2010
    James I am really enjoying these. I realise just how much I still have to learn. Interesting comments from all as well.
  • edited January 2010
    This is not about you balancing your ranges. I know how to balance ranges. This is about how villain will rationalise his hand against you and what hand you most likely have. You miss read my post(or maybe you are being stubborn) I was stating the hands you can be put on. 

You wouldn't raise 2 pair generally here that's the point, that's why the raise is bad, he can't put you on the hands I stated making your bluffing range on the river smaller. You only rep a medium flush by your shove. Unless of course you have numerous history calling OOP with big FD's and/or sets against this guy and playing it identical but even then with the time sky gives you to make decisions he will go by what is most likely.

Seems pretty results orientated if you back this play so much, you have a bias view because it got through I'd like someone who didn't play the hand their thought process as you're getting on the defensive for no reason.

By the way why you are showing the other hand is beyond me, this is so completely different I'm not even going to waste my time describing why that has absolutely no relevance to this hand at all.
  • edited January 2010

Good examples James, trying to balance all your lines must be really hard. (its confusing me neway lol.)

At the stakes i play there is generally no point balancing your lines as its often best to play the most +ev play as no1 is good enough to exploit you.

In example hand 1 if you had 2 spades (say 9s10s), would check raising 3 out of 4 times and check calling 1 out of 4 times be okay for balancing or would i get owned.

• edited January 2010
    lJAMESl Small blind   £1.00 £1.00 £453.16
    TooEasy Big blind   £2.00 £3.00 £514.78
      Your hole cards        
    Villain Raise   £4.00 £7.00 £121.03
    Cutiepie81 Fold        
    lolufold Fold        
    leelee Fold        
    lJAMESl Raise   £14.00 £21.00 £439.16
    TooEasy Fold        
    Villain Call   £11.00 £32.00 £110.03
    Flop

• A

lJAMESl Check        
    Villain Check        
    Turn

lJAMESl Bet   £12.00 £44.00 £427.16
    Villain Raise   £24.00 £68.00 £86.03
    lJAMESl Raise   £24.00 £92.00 £403.16
    Villain Call   £12.00 £104.00 £74.03
    River

lJAMESl Bet   £78.00 £182.00 £325.16
    Villain All-in   £74.03 £256.03 £0.00
    lJAMESl Unmatched bet   £3.97 £252.06 £329.13

• edited January 2010
    Heres a teaser for you all (I'm sure you will enjoy working this out Zing), work out my hand and Villains hand in this spot or at least acquire us a range, the spot prize is kudos ;-)
  • edited January 2010

Some stats would help but if i had to guess i would say utg had aces and u had a flush but that would be too simple so im going to let the clevier players work it out lol.
  • edited January 2010

Some stats would help but if i had to guess i would say utg had aces and u had a flush but that would be too simple so im going to let the clevier players work it out lol.
  • edited January 2010
    This is not about you balancing your ranges. I know how to balance ranges. This is about how villain will rationalise his hand against you and what hand you most likely have. You miss read my post(or maybe you are being stubborn) I was stating the hands you can be put on.  You wouldn't raise 2 pair generally here that's the point, that's why the raise is bad, he can't put you on the hands I stated making your bluffing range on the river smaller. You only rep a medium flush by your shove. Unless of course you have numerous history calling OOP with big FD's and/or sets against this guy and playing it identical but even then with the time sky gives you to make decisions he will go by what is most likely. Seems pretty results orientated if you back this play so much, you have a bias view because it got through I'd like someone who didn't play the hand their thought process as you're getting on the defensive for no reason. By the way why you are showing the other hand is beyond me, this is so completely different I'm not even going to waste my time describing why that has absolutely no relevance to this hand at all.
    Posted by zing

I understand what your saying and I know the range I am repping is small, but I am not going to check the river with a flush here am I, just because the board paired this is what an inexperienced player would do most of the time. If I have the flush I am going to value bet here to get called by the Aces and 5s with the King kicker. If I'm expecting villain to be thinking I am going to give up on alot of rivers then surely we should always bet here especially when bluffing or when we have the flush as sometimes we will get hero called but this is a big mistake making a call here with just an Ace in the long run imo. I don't doubt you have a good thought process for the game but I can tell you think people play a certain way, theres a reason I run weird lines and that is because nowadays everyone watches cardrunner videos and players think the same e.g. he can never be bluffing this river bla bla bla most of the plays you suggested e.g. check raising sets and check raising flush draws everytime are going to be a thing of the past soon, because its so easy to read with all the help you get from forums, training sites etc. It's 2010 time to change the way we play and think about the game instead of being a cardrunners robot.
  • edited January 2010
    Good examples James, trying to balance all your lines must be really hard. (its confusing me neway lol.) At the stakes i play there is generally no point balancing your lines as its often best to play the most +ev play as no1 is good enough to exploit you. In example hand 1 if you had 2 spades (say 9s10s), would check raising 3 out of 4 times and check calling 1 out of 4 times be okay for balancing or would i get owned.
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    I don't think there is any right answer to that Deuce but to be honest playing at 100nl as a reg I would be playing my big hands strong most of the time, for example when I get there with a flush I would always raise as people wont fold at this level from what I remember.
  • edited January 2010
    James I am really enjoying these. I realise just how much I still have to learn. Interesting comments from all as well.
    Posted by TiaDalma
    I'm glad you are enjoying them Tia and hopefully this well help your thought process with the game in future hands :-)
  • edited January 2010
    Playing hands like this OOP is tricky, isn't it?   :-) Without your knowledge of your opponent, I think that I would often try to check raise the flop if I am going to have a try at taking the pot. I only defer and check raise the turn in spots like this if I think my opponent is at "a level" where he would be able to fold here. In my mind, the deferred check-raise looks extremely strong. Having tried this move (and failed) I'm a wuss and think that I generally give up at this point. I place him on at least a decent ace (probably with the draws that you have indicated) and I can't think of a bet-size that I would want to make that would take the pot down from someone who I think is likely to call. As you said, any ace looks strong after the river. With the As & Ks on the board, we can really only represent suited (gapped) connectors for the flush or a full house and I hate to try and represent hands that my opponent may well be holding. In summary, I surrender.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Hey Mere

Nice to see you posting on one of my hands finally :-).

Like you said the check raise is a strong move here, if this was a bad player I wouldn't even bother check raising this turn I would just fold. But as I know opponent is a good thinker of the game and has seen me playing a solid game all session he has no reason to think I will get out of line here. I know villain will be thinking if I am bluffing I will give up on the river 9 out of 10 times, so having thought that through we have to be consistent with our story and this is why it is essential to fire the final bullet and make him fold his Ace if he happens to hero us its not always bad because he will remember the hand and call us down lighter in future when we do infact have the flush, which is always good for our image.

• edited January 2010
    Hey James- you won't forget at some point to let us know the answer to the 'work out the hands' question, will you Thanks  :)
  • edited January 2010
    Fantastic posts James.  Just been grinding all day so will re-read again tomorrow after sleep.
  • edited January 2010
    if you're not going to jam a blank river then c/c turn.

tbh I like c/c and evaluate river alot more as the As is such a good barrel card for his bluffing range that you're going to be ahead of his turn betting range often.
  • EENEEN
    edited January 2010
    I'm fairly sure this is ripped straight out of this months WPT magazine... i read the article not 3 hours ago...
  • edited January 2010
    I'm fairly sure this is ripped straight out of this months WPT magazine... i read the article not 3 hours ago...
    Posted by EEN
    I lol-ed pretty hard. Funnily enough being a poker player I read poker magazines and you mean the one my friend Stuart Rutter wrote which has no relevance to my hand what so ever in anyway. Where he check-raises a dry river on a board of K-8-4-2-K with 5-5 after calling a cbet on the flop and the turn going check-check. How is this got anything to do with representing a flush and being double barreled on the flop and turn. Dude do me a favour read the article again and compare it to my hand I played in a real game not an imaginary example one. The only similarity is both hands are being turned into a bluff, but welldone you got the title similarity right lol.
  • EENEEN
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Turning our hand into a bluff : I lol-ed pretty hard. Funnily enough being a poker player I read poker magazines and you mean the one my friend Stuart Rutter wrote which has no relevance to my hand what so ever in anyway. Where he check-raises a dry river on a board of K-8-4-2-K with 5-5 after calling a cbet on the flop and the turn going check-check . How is this got anything to do with representing a flush and being double barreled on the flop and turn. Dude do me a favour read the article again and compare it to my hand I played in a real game not an imaginary example one. The only similarity is both hands are being turned into a bluff, but welldone you got the title similarity right lol.
    Posted by lJAMESl
    Lol, i read it while at work, which was an 11 and a half hour shift that turned my brain to mush, at the time i was convinced it was the same one :P

I've not checked, but i'll take your word for it :)
  • edited January 2010
    how do i post my hand? 
  • EENEEN
    edited January 2010
    how do i post my hand? 
    Posted by hurst05

Stick a stamp on it, and jump inside a postbox :)

...couldnt resist
  • edited January 2010
    how do i post my hand? 
    Posted by hurst05
    See posting hands
  • edited January 2010
    Hey Guys nearly forgot to tell you the results of the hand where I didn't include the hands of me and the villain. The hand I had was AJcc and the villains hand was A9o. I was just trying to show that when you flop the nut flush draw and a pair you don't always need to bet it. By checking sometimes, we disguise our hand, are allowed to balance our range for when we flop weaker hands and also we always keep our opponents guessing.