You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not?

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat
A lot of live venues (and I think some other online sites) will always go to a 7handed FT when running 6max comps

Of course it's just variance and you'll be on the 3handed table as often as you are on the 4handed table in the long run (although the long run is gonna be pretty long to get a huge sample of making the final 7 of an MTT).

You can also say it's just another part of a tournament that you need to adapt to and figure out the best way to take advantage of it but there must be a reason why other operators think a 7handed FT is better. It does make for a better end game imo but that's just me.

I may or may not have finished 7th tonight in the £2k BH lol... but this thread aint for selfish reasons, just that event got me thinking...

What would you prefer and why?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not?:
    A lot of live venues (and I think some other online sites) will always go to a 7handed FT when running 6max comps Of course it's just variance and you'll be on the 3handed table as often as you are on the 4handed table in the long run (although the long run is gonna be pretty long to get a huge sample of making the final 7 of an MTT). You can also say it's just another part of a tournament that you need to adapt to and figure out the best way to take advantage of it but there must be a reason why other operators think a 7handed FT is better. It does make for a better end game imo but that's just me. I may or may not have finished 7th tonight in the £2k BH lol... but this thread aint for selfish reasons, just that event got me thinking... What would you prefer and why?
    Posted by Lambert180

I second this post - 7 handed unofficial FTs please

• edited August 2014
    Plus one on this please. Would be great to get a sky comment on this. 
  • edited August 2014

7 handed would be the ideal situation but I just cant see it happening.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not?:
    A lot of live venues (and I think some other online sites) will always go to a 7handed FT when running 6max comps Of course it's just variance and you'll be on the 3handed table as often as you are on the 4handed table in the long run (although the long run is gonna be pretty long to get a huge sample of making the final 7 of an MTT). You can also say it's just another part of a tournament that you need to adapt to and figure out the best way to take advantage of it but there must be a reason why other operators think a 7handed FT is better. It does make for a better end game imo but that's just me. I may or may not have finished 7th tonight in the £2k BH lol... but this thread aint for selfish reasons, just that event got me thinking... What would you prefer and why?
    Posted by Lambert180
    Should deffo be 7 handed ft. Even hand for hand play doesn't make it fair because you are in the sb and bb 1/3 of the time on the 3 handed table, as apposed to 1/4 on the 4 handed. So dependant on blind level and duration of 7 handed play you could be at a severe disadvantage on the 3 handed table. Esp if you are the shortie.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not?:
    In Response to Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : Should deffo be 7 handed ft. Even hand for hand play doesn't make it fair because you are in the sb and bb 1/3 of the time on the 3 handed table, as apposed to 1/4 on the 4 handed. So dependant on blind level and duration of 7 handed play you could be at a severe disadvantage on the 3 handed table. Esp if you are the shortie.
    Posted by ShaunyT
    I just try to not let it bother me!
  • edited August 2014

I find alot of players over-value the importance of the final table bubble.

Often on here we go from 12/13 left to 7 left in no time. 

Then theres a long, painful, drawn out bubble, before the FT finally comes and is followed by a couple more swift exits as the shorties who've clung on to get there suffer their inevitable fate. 

Why?

It must be psychological, the jump between 7th and 6th is no more significant than the ladder between 8th and 7th, or 6th and 5th. 

This makes it a great time for us to chip up. So I prefer the short handed format. 

Having antes would help with these long drawn out bubbles. Pots are worth more so players would need to try and win them instead of sitting there waiting and waiting. They'd make finals play deeper too.  

As Bumble would say "Get on with the game...." 
  • edited August 2014
    Do you really think the software can cope with switching from 6 max to 7 max.

ummmmmmmmm NO
  • edited August 2014
    Do you really think the software can cope with switching from 6 max to 7 max. ummmmmmmmm NO
    Posted by stuarty117
    The tables are available 9/10 seated.The provision of adjusting the software to slot that table in when needed should not be that hard.
    Saying that regarding the software the tv channel uses seems to be very in flexible 6-max only,that would mean if implemented the tv could not show the final table bubble.
    So little chance it will happen.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : The tables are available 9/10 seated.The provision of adjusting the software to slot that table in when needed should not be that hard. Saying that regarding the software the tv channel uses seems to be very in flexible 6-max only,that would mean if implemented the tv could not show the final table bubble. So little chance it will happen.
    Posted by belsibub
    Yes they are available as 10 seater from the start, the Friday tourney has this. But over the weeks with the software messing up with the 3max and other things.

I would have no confidence in the software going to 7 max when it should.

I bet the seats are programmed at the start of a tourney and that's it its runs like that throughout.
  • edited August 2014
    If it's feasible then 7 handed is a much better option however I suspect the software implications are probably more complicated than we would imagine.
  • edited August 2014
    If it's feasible then 7 handed is a much better option however I suspect the software implications are probably more complicated than we would imagine.
    Posted by Slykllist
    Exactly, of course it would be great. But this is what I am trying to say.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : Exactly, of course it would be great. But this is what I am trying to say.
    Posted by stuarty117
    Depends on how updates are implemented if it's across the board should not be a problem.
    Most here seem to be bits & pieces.Certain updates to tournament structures & such seem to be buy-in dependant meaning there are lots of different versions of similar tourneys kicking about.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : Should deffo be 7 handed ft. Even hand for hand play doesn't make it fair because you are in the sb and bb 1/3 of the time on the 3 handed table, as apposed to 1/4 on the 4 handed. So dependant on blind level and duration of 7 handed play you could be at a severe disadvantage on the 3 handed table. Esp if you are the shortie.
    Posted by ShaunyT
    You also have the button once every 3 hands as opposed to once every 4 hands on the other table. 

A gtd open shoving spot every 3rd hand isn't a bad thing for a short stack. Wont find many opportunities to get in first as shorty on a 7 handed final table. 

Pretty sure if 7 handed > 6 handed was best PS would do it. They don't. 

• edited August 2014

Would much prefer balancing the amount of play at the start and end of a tournament being looked into.

There must be ways of working it so the tournament takes more or less the same time to complete (taking 30 seconds/1 minute off the blind clock, skipping the 10/20, 15/30 levels?) few different things could be tried out really.

Just feel it would enhance the playing experience more than anything else.

• edited August 2014
    The software probably couldn't handle it, leave it as it is.

Evens out over time, all part of the variance.
  • edited August 2014
    Would much prefer balancing the amount of play at the start and end of a tournament being looked into. There must be ways of working it so the tournament takes more or less the same time to complete (taking 30 seconds/1 minute off the blind clock, skipping the 10/20, 15/30 levels?) few different things could be tried out really. Just feel it would enhance the playing experience more than anything else.
    Posted by seanallen
    A few of the structures do need getting looked into, I played one the other day and it didn't even have a 1k level!
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : A few of the structures do need getting looked into, I played one the other day and it didn't even have a 1k level!
    Posted by MattBates
    The all in sats could really use a good looking at.  The blind structure in them is awful.  It's just a shove fest
  • edited August 2014
    i like the idea of a seven handed FT but as people have mentioned the software is not designed for this they could open a full ring table and seat the 7 players around it but actually getting a 7 max table means programming an entire new section of code and then hoping that the code interacts with the original code with no glitches

all in all i support the idea of a 7 max table but it would take a while to implement properly

• edited August 2014
    If i was playing players of level ability i would much prefer a 7 handed final table. If i was playing players i believed i had an edge on i would much prefer to be on a 3 or 4 handed table against them. swings and roundabouts really
  • edited August 2014
    Completely arbitrary!  Just makes 8th the final table bubble.    ;)

• edited August 2014
    Posted by jimb0d1
    Incorrect
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : Incorrect
    Posted by The_Don90
    He does have a point, Don. You technically just shift the bubble one place further down.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : He does have a point, Don. You technically just shift the bubble one place further down.
    Posted by Slipwater
    The point of doing 7handed FTs isn't just to change the goalposts in terms of who gets to say 'I made a FT'. It's to prevent the situation of having a 3handed table and a 4handed table (which play differently ofc) at one of the most important stages of a tourney.

Yes the FT bubble boy will now be the person in 8th, but it'll come after all 8 players having played on 2 x 4handed tables.
  • edited August 2014
    If i was playing players of level ability i would much prefer a 7 handed final table. If i was playing players i believed i had an edge on i would much prefer to be on a 3 or 4 handed table against them. swings and roundabouts really
    Posted by jordz16
    Too many variables to just put it down to these 2 scenarios imo.

Being on a 3handed table where the average stack is say 10xBB (which is fairly normal for alot of MTTs on here) with people who are a lot weaker than you can be great if they're weak in the sense they don't know how wide to shove and call shoves too tight etc, if they're the opposite then at that stack depth 3handed you can pretty much say goodbye to your edge imo.

Again this is all just 'variance' in terms of whether you're on the 3handed or 4handed table, what stack sizes happen to be on that table (sometimes the 3handed table will be the 3 shorties, sometimes the 3 biggies, sometimes the CL and 2 players with <5xBB), and what the players are like (good or bad, and what type of good/bad).

Sometimes it'll work out great for you, sometimes it'll work out pretty bad for you (it should even out in the long term though) but with 7handed it'll always be the same for everyone, everytime with no need for the longterm to be realised.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : The point of doing 7handed FTs isn't just to change the goalposts in terms of who gets to say 'I made a FT'. It's to prevent the situation of having a 3handed table and a 4handed table (which play differently ofc) at one of the most important stages of a tourney. Yes the FT bubble boy will now be the person in 8th, but it'll come after all 8 players having played on 2 x 4handed tables.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I understand and appreciate the concept, Lambert... which I ain't arguing. My point was simply about where the bubble is.
  • edited August 2014
    I think I prefer a 7 player final table, as there is such a big difference between 3 handed and 4 handed.
    But as the change to the software would be a pain, and which table you end up on is luck anyway it does not seem worth the effort as in the long run luck evens out.
  • edited August 2014
    Posted by jimb0d1
    In Response to Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not?:
    In Response to Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : He does have a point, Don. You technically just shift the bubble one place further down.
    Posted by Slipwater

What is the official ruling then? 

If a 6 max comp plays 7 handed when there's 7 left, is the final table bubble 7th or 8th?

I would agree with both JimSlip, but I'm only guessing. 

And Don seems certain it's still 7th.......

??????????????????

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : In Response to  Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : What is the official ruling then?  If a 6 max comp plays 7 handed when there's 7 left, is the final table bubble 7th or 8th? I would agree with both JimSlip, but I'm only guessing.  And Don seems certain it's still 7th....... ??????????????????
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    At DTD (and I imagine all live places) they say the final 7 is the unofficial FT, and 6 is the proper FT but imo that's all just irrelevant, it's just a name, that name doesn't affect gameplay.
  • edited August 2014
    Four and three is rediculous and also unfair...four handed and three handed are very different games. So if its possible to play 7 max final table online would be a good improvement.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : In Response to  Re: Final Table Bubbles - 7 Handed or Not? : What is the official ruling then?  If a 6 max comp plays 7 handed when there's 7 left, is the final table bubble 7th or 8th? I would agree with both JimSlip, but I'm only guessing.  And Don seems certain it's still 7th....... ??????????????????
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Gna use the EPT as an example. 

EPT plays 8 max FT's. Their Unofficial final table is 9 handed. 

9th place is considered as FT bubble boy.