You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live MTT pays half the field!

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat

It wont affect many of us, but at the PCA in 2015 (a LIVE Event) they are experimenting with paying HALF THE FIELD. Make the top half, & you automatically get your buy-in back.

They cite two reasons......

1) The amounty of ducking & diving that occurs around the bubble, which suggests getting at least some money back is VERY important to many.

2) The Top end payouts will be reduced to pay for this, but the argument goes that when there are huge sums up top,(in Live poker) it almost always ends in a deal, or "business", despite so many saying "I'd NEVER deal". When it gets to eye-watering numbers, the facts prove that most will, & do.

Do you like or dislike this idea, & why?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    I can't even cash in 6 handed dym,s so this tournament means nothing to me. It,ll be interesting to see what field they get for this as it looks to be a bit of a novelty and not one the pros can exactly boast about doing well in. Still, if you never try, you never know. Prop betters will have to be careful...
  • edited August 2014
    Personally dislike, the whole dream is to come first and win that huge cash prize - these sums shouldnt be reduced, as soon as i enter a tournament ive writtin off the buyin, i dont want to double it, or treble it, i want to come first and x100, im not interested in my buy in back
  • edited August 2014
    Can't say it really appeals to me.

I think we all go there to win it. OK admittedly no one likes to go out on the bubble, but thats part & parcel of the game and it can be quite an adrenalin rush at times.

I think paying half the field is going to water down the excitement & antisipation of the bubble as well as making the top payouts slightly thinner.

The question I must ask myself is...........If Sky decided to pay half the field in a main event online at the expense of what could be quite a few quid off the top prizes, would I agreed with it?......would it make the tournament any better?

I would have to answer - NO

Regardless of the fact that Top 10 get paid or top 100 get paid, at some point we are going to get to the cash bubble and ducking & diving is still going to occur.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Live MTT pays half the field!:
    Can't say it really appeals to me. I think we all go there to win it. OK admittedly no one likes to go out on the bubble, but thats part & parcel of the game and it can be quite an adrenalin rush at times. I think paying half the field is going to water down the excitement & antisipation of the bubble as well as making the top payouts slightly thinner. The question I must ask myself is...........If Sky decided to pay half the field in a main event online at the expense of what could be quite a few quid off the top prizes, would I agreed with it?......would it make the tournament any better? I would have to answer - NO Regardless of the fact that Top 10 get paid or top 100 get paid, at some point we are going to get to the cash bubble and ducking & diving is still going to occur.   
    Posted by POKERTREV
    This!

This whole thing ties into buy ins for tournaments which are on the rise where you end up with a load of people selling large % of themselves (eg one drop) and no there is a potential move to loads getting a min cash. If the min cash means that much to you play a lower value tournament. I don't mind having slightly less top heavy prizepools and a few more paid but for me 15-20% max should be paid. Making the cash should mean something rather than 50% of the field getting their money back.
  • edited August 2014
    As always there will be different opinions. The first thing that strikes me is that when it comes to hand for hand on the bubble there will be 5 times as many tables in play, it will take even longer.
    I have always thought the payout structure favoured finishing high up too much. I personally would prefer a more gentle slope payout to about 20% of the field. Obviously everyone will have their own different opinion, a good question TK.

• edited August 2014
    If it's that important to get at least a portion of your tournament fee back, perhaps they should consider taking Sky's lead and running their tours as bounty hunters... no need to worry about bubbling the cash if you've already KO'd 3 other players and are freerolling for the win.

I suppose flattening the payout structure would lower variance to a point that tournament pros/regs could generate a more consistent income comparable to cash players that makes it easier to play regularly at a level with lower risk of going bust?
  • edited August 2014
    I dont think the intention is that it replaces the standard tournament structure. As a side event I like the idea - its something different. different is interesting. 

would be interesting if there is a large field to see how much of an impact it has on hand for hand play.
  • edited August 2014

I'm surprised all the focus/discussion has been about the actual H4H/Bubble period. 

Play early on in tournaments is really slow/tight as it is, with this payout structure I'd expect a significant percent of the field to literally sit out. 

Then see who's the best (luckiest) at spinning up <10xbb stacks after the bubble. 

"anti poker" ? 

It'd go down well on here though, stick it in as Saturdays main ;)

• edited August 2014
    Would love this as an option for some sats for some of the bigger events. Not all of the time but perhaps for the super roller or even SPT or UKPC

e.g.

Super roller

110 seat

So a bit like steps, so you could buy in whatever level suits you.