You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Jackpot musings - what would YOU do?

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat

The Sky Poker Jackpot has been running, what, 5 or 6 years now?

It's tremendous fun, gives a lot of buzz & feel-good to those who play MTT's here.

Costs a lot of money, too. I've no idea of the figure, you can guess as easily as I can, but if we said £20,000 per annum, I don't think it would be a million miles out. The total paid in 2013, & to date in 2014 can be seen on the Promo Page if you want to do the Math,
HERE

Deduct from that the payback, generated by those who add the Mini to their schedule when playing the Main, (it does not attempt to drive those who play the Mini to play the Main, of course). Again, a wild guess, but I doubt there is much financial payback, it's mainly buzz & feel-good.

So if YOU ran SkyPoker.com, & you were trying to allocate the Promotional spend, would you spend the £20k on the Jackpot, or would you put it to a different use? Bear in mind the annual Promo spend is a fairly big 6 figure number, so this is a smal part of a much bigger thing. Even so, it's worth thinking about.

What use would YOU put £20k of Promo spend on?

Remember that a Promo has to be a double-edged sword, it needs to give players something, as well as, in some form, be beneficial to the Business, by increasing traffic, encouraging more frequent play, loyalty, & a multitude of other things. Most Promos, here & elsewhere, try & tick at least some of those boxes.

It could be related to cash games, SNG's, MTT's, anything or everything.

Folks rarely like change for changes sake, but in any successful Business, change, freshening things up, new ideas, are very very important. Old things - & old people - lose their sparkle, I'm told. Can't say I noticed..... 

Fire away, be the bloke - or lady - who has to make the decision.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    i would like to see a winner takes all tournament, not for £20000 but, say, £500 on a £3 buyin. ( overlay notwithstanding)  with a points rundown for each entrent. example, 210 points for 210th place, 32 for 32nd, 1 for 1st etc... 15 tounaments with your best 12 results taken into consideration to exclude the occasional aces cracked first level scenario. the person with the fewest points at the end takes the rest of the pot thats left of the 20k. loads of gamble early days then it all becomes more tactical in the last 5 or 6 weeks. its keeps everyone involved in one way or another.
  • edited August 2014
    Well, whilst I think the current jackpot promo is good, maybe it could be opened out a little bit.

By this I mean spread across more tourneys perhaps?

I do think the forum DTD's are very fun. The best 2 scores added together from the 3 DTD tourneys.

Something along those lines. For example have 3 nominated tourneys, lets say a £3.30 bh £5.50 bh and £11. The same as the DTD rules with the top 3/5 best scores winning something? Or a mixed format version. Turbo, BH, deepstack?

Obviously as a business model look at what is currently paid out, increase in traffic and decide the prize amount/number of prizes from there?

Just off the top of my head like ;)
  • edited August 2014

Lower the rake on micro stakes games. 

Charge 28p + 2p for what is now (was*) a 25p+5p dym. 

The £20k would cover the loss to the site for more than 100,000 30p dyms.

More players would win, and therefore continue to play, the site would make more money, and the forum would have Garylauds diary back. Everyones a winner. 

--------------

More reload bonuses for losing players too. 

*didn't realise these had been completely removed, same ratio @ 60p anyway. Would only pay for 50,000 60p ones though :(
  • edited August 2014
    A Total SnG Competition.
    To encompass either standard SnG or DYM.
    Similar to the previous SnG promo, this to be 30 games over a month, but must be 10 each of NLH, Omaha and PLO8, thus increasing traffic/revenue/interest in Omaha and PLO8.
    As always a leaderboard, of say the top 50 players ROI to be made public, to keep track, aid competition etc.
    Upon completion of the promo, final positions on leaderboard of all players who completed 30 (10 each of NLH, Omaha and PLO8) games to be made public.
    Positions 7 - 50 receive £8K in prize award similar to tournament payout.
    Positions 1 - 6 compete in 3 separate (televised) SnG games.  One each NLH, Omaha and PLO8. For each game the winner receives 6 points, 6th position 1 point, and obviously corresponding points inbetween.
    Upon completion of the final 3 SnG games, points totals added up, £12K shared between positions 1st and 6th.
    Voila, a complete SnG champion is crowned, 50 people are awarded prizes, short term increase of revenue from Omaha and PLO8 guaranteed (with the hope of the promo garnering interest in those formats and longer term revenue foreseen) for Sky.
    The prize figures might need tinkering with to ensure that position 6 earns more than position 7, but the idea remains the same.
    Position 51 gets a bag of twiglets.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Jackpot musings - what would YOU do?:
    Lower the rake on micro stakes games.  Charge 28p + 2p for what is now (was*) a 25p+5p dym.  The £20k would cover the loss to the site for more than 100,000 30p dyms. More players would win, and therefore continue to play, the site would make more money, and the forum would have Garylauds diary back. Everyones a winner.  -------------- More reload bonuses for losing players too.  *didn't realise these had been completely removed, same ratio @ 60p anyway. Would only pay for 50,000 60p ones though :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    They still exist, only on Turbo though.
  • edited August 2014
    lowering rake for the micros should be done for the longterm health of the games.

sites dont like using the word rake in promotional material but making it known that the cost of playing is being reduced would surely be a more viable longeterm attraction than 'play 10 dyms and win an entry into a lottery to win an ipad' type thang

i think reducing rewards for winning grinders and giving more back to recreationals is the best way to keep games healthy.  at the very least make the games beatable at that level.
  • edited August 2014
    Personally I would like to see it encorparated into Slipwaters main and mini leaderboard. maybe top 10 main and top 10 mini players from each month share roughly £2000 in which ever way works out fairest, obviously have the leaderboards reset each month, but im sure it would keep players involved in the main and mini right throughout the month. and would make`the tournaments towards the end of the month more tactical if you know you need, say a top 8 finish for an extra few hundred quid or whatever.
  • edited August 2014
    For tournaments, I think some sort of micro-UKOPS (wouldn't need £20k so leaves some for higher stakes players) would be awesome.  Bring in some sort of incentive for player of the series, most cashes, most final tables, whatever.  I may be wrong, but always had the impression that this was the end of the player pool that brought the most 'new' deposits onto a site... so could be a good incentive that a mix of £1.10 (Micro-UKOPS £1k maker) - £11 (Micro-UKOPS main event) attract new players with a shot at some bigger fields / bigger value / maybe even a micro-version bracelet of some sort.

For cash - perhaps some sort of 'lucky hand'... stick a joker into the mix for hole cards, if you win the hand, you get a cash pot. If you don't win, half the rake from that hand gets added to the cash pot. Pays for itself as it'll create a bit more action.

A bad beat jackpot would probably be a fun addition, but not sure it'd increase volume / hands played.

And I still think that some sort of 'Big Game' set-up would be fun.

> Maybe have some dedicated NL10 or lower table (or bands up to and including £100)... could also run a PLO/PLO8 week potentially, although appreciate that is likely to generate way less traffic.
    /> Decide whether most points / most profit / biggest spin up etc qualifies you
    /> Then the best person each month gets sat a 6-max table with £1k (say) and plays 5 oppo selected either from the TV show (I'm thinking guest analysts more than Rich and Anna... no offence :) ) or you run a similar thing for the NL200+ tables and the 5 biggest grinders get a seat at the big game.
    /> Run it for an hour, loose cannon gets to keep everything they win above £1k, the experts can reload as much as they like and play as normal (knowing there should be an 'easy' £1k to pick up)
    /> You get the added bonus of an hour coverage filled for the TV show one day a week!

For STT world, it's been mentioned before, but a lucky jackpot table would be awesome. However it works, tables at all levels are randomly selected to have the prize pool multiplied - so theoretically you could play a rake-hungry 60p DYM (prize = 3 x £1) that gets selected for a 300x multiplier and suddenly can spin that 60p into £100. I would 100% play more STT of all variants if this was introduced.

I know ideas on this thread are almost certainly never going to be implemented, but love the opportunity to hear people's creative ideas for ways to improve the site :)
  • edited August 2014
    I might be way out of line with how much it costs but any kind of Viva Las Vegas promo or sending people to play wsop side events would get my vote all day long....
  • edited August 2014

there is a big world outside nlh and sky currently has none of it. 

make every game that isn't nlh rake free. 

- would attract new players to the site
    - would make it cheaper for current players to access these games
    - non nlh must the worst money makers on the site so you won't be hammering into current profits
    - unique selling point
    - stops players leaving to play non nlh on other sites

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Jackpot musings - what would YOU do?:
    For STT world, it's been mentioned before, but a lucky jackpot table would be awesome. However it works, tables at all levels are randomly selected to have the prize pool multiplied - so theoretically you could play a rake-hungry 60p DYM (prize = 3 x £1) that gets selected for a 300x multiplier and suddenly can spin that 60p into £100. I would 100% play more STT of all variants if this was introduced. I know ideas on this thread are almost certainly never going to be implemented, but love the opportunity to hear people's creative ideas for ways to improve the site :)
    Posted by shakinaces
    THIS^^^

Also how about something like the biggest site is doing at the mo where you have a different but very easy challenge each day i.e. play a sng one day, mtt the next, play cash day after etc . You then get entered into a freeroll
  • edited August 2014
    personnally im micro stakes so think shaking aces idea is a very good idea and then for the high rollers on here i like jordz idea if people are paying to enter every main and mini in a month then there should be a leaderboard that rewards the top players based on overall positional finish over say 40 events in a month perhaps then say 1k per month split between the winners of main/mini event and then with the remaining 8k do 2 micro ukops with 4k spread over each (2 per year) or 1 with the full 8k