You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Please don't send this to area 51

edited January 2010 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
 I don't know how to get the hand up on here (so if anyone can help that would be great), so i'll talk you through it.

blinds 150 and 75 i'm on the small blind.

2 players limp in.

I have 88 and raise to 750  hoping to take the pot there and then.

big blind folds. 1st limper folds. 2nd limper calls.

flop comes down 4 K of spades and 9 of clubs.

I check. the other player bets 1050. I raise all-in 2,485. as i raised pre flop it's quite believable i am trapping with K A.

Anyhoo the other guy thinks about it for a few seconds lol and calls and I think oh deary me he's got K x and  think i've been caught out.

To my amazement he shows Ace 4 off suit

anyway next card ace h river 7 s

Comments

• edited January 2010
    to post the hand, just get it up in your hand history and highlight it all, copy n paste on to here, be aware it won't look right until you actually post it.
    it's a lot easier to see the play rather than a description.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Please don't send this to area 51:
    to post the hand, just get it up in your hand history and highlight it all, copy n paste on to here, be aware it won't look right until you actually post it. it's a lot easier to see the play rather than a description.
    Posted by burtyboy
    cheers m8

here goes

Hand History #222159715 (16:37 09/01/2010)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    hoyski Small blind  75.00 75.00 3160.00
    cobblers66 Big blind  150.00 225.00 1840.00
      Your hole cards

mrmaddison Fold     
    kram121 Fold     
    dexieme Call  150.00 375.00 2065.00
    outspoken8 Call  150.00 525.00 3605.00
    hoyski Raise  675.00 1200.00 2485.00
    cobblers66 Fold     
    dexieme Fold     
    outspoken8 Call  600.00 1800.00 3005.00
    Flop

• K

hoyski Check     
    outspoken8 Bet  1050.00 2850.00 1955.00
    hoyski All-in  2485.00 5335.00 0.00
    outspoken8 All-in  1955.00 7290.00 0.00
    outspoken8 Unmatched bet  520.00 6770.00 520.00
    hoyski Show

outspoken8 Show
    • A

Turn

• A

River

outspoken8 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 4s 6770.00  7290.00
  • edited January 2010
    Awful call and got lucky
  • edited January 2010
    Awful call and got luckyd by Dudeskin8
    cheers m8, me personally i wouldn't have made that call. I mean after the check-raise what did he think he was beating? Unfortunately for me this happens so often you wouldn't believe it. oohhhh it's heading for area 51 lol. So we'll put it down to good strategy and bad luck (again)
    area51 beckons lol
  • edited January 2010
    i dont really get why you shove there. looks more like a flush draw from you than AK because i would expect AK to want to protect their hand rather than checking to check raise in case villain checks behind.
  • edited January 2010
    i dont really get why you shove there. looks more like a flush draw from you than AK because i would expect AK to want to protect their hand rather than checking to check raise in case villain checks behind.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    so you are telling me you would have called with a 4 after being check-raised. don't get me wrong it's a bit maverick by me but if he has not hit the king and say he hit the 9 i could get him off the second pair with the check raise also I could have raised with numerous hands that had him beat too many to mention and .I did have a bit of fold equity. surely you must appreciate that train of thought
  • edited January 2010
    not sure what the problem is, he's got an over card, a flush draw and a possible set, you've pushed with your pocket pair without a clue what your up against, as for the call, well i've seen a lot call an all in with worse hands than that! if he's got A 4 spades or Ak are you still complaining?
    thats not to say i'm making the same call but theres enough danger in the flop for me to be just flat calling his bet or i'm laying it down to wait for a better spot with the pocket 8's.
  • edited January 2010
    not sure what the problem is, he's got an over card, a flush draw and a possible set, you've pushed with your pocket pair without a clue what your up against, as for the call, well i've seen a lot call an all in with worse hands than that! if he's got A 4 spades or Ak are you still complaining? thats not to say i'm making the same call but theres enough danger in the flop for me to be just flat calling his bet or i'm laying it down to wait for a better spot with the pocket 8's.
    Posted by burtyboy
    He's actually got A spades 4 clubs. so he would need runner runner to hit the nut flush.but my point is I made the raise to 5 times the big blind, i've check raised him what did he think he was beating? I could have had pocket kings and the flop made my set. I don't think he would have limped in with AK. and if he had then fair play he's caught me out. i'm not really complaining  just want to know what his thought process was?
  • edited January 2010
    I haven't done the maths completely because I can't see the bet sizes on your post of the hand.
    However, it looks to me from your description that he is getting better than 3/1 on his money after you check raise him on the flop and that makes it a reasonable call if he thinks that part of your range are draws. He is, in fact, almost exactly 3/1 to win the hand after the flop even against your overpair.
    If you are going to make a check-raise on the flop with a marginal hand you should consider whether you have fold equity.
    Obviously, his pre-flop call is extremely loose.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Please don't send this to area 51 : He's actually got A spades 4 clubs. so he would need runner runner to hit the nut flush.but my point is I made the raise to 5 times the big blind, i've check raised him what did he think he was beating? I could have had pocket kings and the flop made my set. I don't think he would have limped in with AK. and if he had then fair play he's caught me out. i'm not really complaining   just want to know what his thought process was?
    Posted by hoyski
    don't think his thought process takes much working out, he's had a roll of the dice preflop with A4
    then had another go on the flop, he misses on the flop but bets because you check no doubt he hoped for a fold, once you'd reraised all in, he's pot commited so shuvs it in hoping his Ace is high card and hits, i've come to realise lately that theres a lot that don't put much thought into their play, quite happy to get some money/chips in the middle and see what happens, trying to read these players is nigh on impossible, as in this case he could've been sat with absolutely anything! thing is in a small tourny or sit n go they've only gota hit 2-3 times to cash or on the cash tables a hit every half hour makes a profit.