You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

at what point should you quit?

edited September 2014 in Poker Chat

when you cant shake the losing streak that just goes on and on what option should you take
(a) carry on regardless
(b) quit and try a different site 
(c) lower your stake and play it out
(d)try change how you play poker
(e) other

after playing here for a while and hitting the worst run at poker ive ever had in 15 yrs of online poker I was wondering what to do, im not really a fan of playing more than one site at a time I stick to what I know but it got to the stage now where I don't seem to be playing poker as the enjoyment has gone, and all that is left is sheer frustration. I know im not the best in the world neither am I the worst and I don't ever pretend to play poker to win but for instance wed evening sat in 3 tournaments after slowly accumulating chips for over an hour my aa get beat by the 77 all in shortly after after my nut flush is beaten by runner runner fh and then finally my flush gets beat by river fh. all annoying but hey that is poker but then when I started looking at my stats and such I just realised that I havent cashed in roughly my last 200 tournaments despite my itm was usually at a rather impressive 40%  for the 1000 previous tournaments.
anyways that enough about me I just wondered what other people do

Comments

• edited September 2014
    People will advocate different things.

Some will say a break would do you good. Others would say just try and plough through the variance wave if you think you're still playing solid poker.

Depends how much the money means to you. If you can afford to keep playing the games you play, then perhaps upping the volume might be the best option.

If nothing else, 'D' is pretty important. Not change how you play fundamentally, but certainly look at recent play, try and spot any leaks/bad decisions. Always look to improve, regardless of whether we are crushing the game or treading water.

Good luck!
  • edited September 2014

Feel for you fliddy.

Poker can be SUCH an exasparating game!

And fair play to you for not just doing the usual, & pointing fingers @ the RNG, or blaming others.

First up, if you are not enjoying it right now, you have two options, either take a break, or go for Option D, imo....

(d) try change how you play poker

In fact, in your case, have you tried changing format completely? Maybe switch to Cash, or DYM's, or even try the 4 card game?

I played NLH - quite well actually - for a long time, but it eventually overtook me, & I could no longer cope, the game got too hard for me, so I switched exclusively to the 4 card variants.

And now, despite playing the game for 15 years or more, at every level, & being pretty old, at an age where our enthusiasm takes a good bit of stirring, I can't wait to play poker ervery single night, it's like going back to when I first played, I LOVE it.

Anyway, I hope it soon turns for the better.

But if you are not enjoying it, you MUST do something about it, it's daft to do something that you don't enjoy.  
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: at what point should you quit?:
    People will advocate different things. Some will say a break would do you good. Others would say just try and plough through the variance wave if you think you're still playing solid poker. Depends how much the money means to you. If you can afford to keep playing the games you play, then perhaps upping the volume might be the best option. If nothing else, 'D' is pretty important. Not change how you play fundamentally, but certainly look at recent play, try and spot any leaks/bad decisions. Always look to improve, regardless of whether we are crushing the game or treading water. Good luck!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    We agreed on that!

I truly believe that is important, too.

I don't do it immediately after my session has ended, that's the wrong time. The next morning, when our heads have cleared a bit, we see it all so much clearer.

I start with the default - "I am doing something wrong". Not a bad place to start.
  • edited September 2014
    If you aren't enjoying playing then its best to quit and spend your time and money on something that will bring you happiness.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to at what point should you quit?:
    when you cant shake the losing streak that just goes on and on what option should you take (a) carry on regardless (b) quit and try a different site  (c) lower your stake and play it out (d)try change how you play poker (e) other after playing here for a while and hitting the worst run at poker ive ever had in 15 yrs of online poker I was wondering what to do, im not really a fan of playing more than one site at a time I stick to what I know but it got to the stage now where I don't seem to be playing poker as the enjoyment has gone, and all that is left is sheer frustration. I know im not the best in the world neither am I the worst and I don't ever pretend to play poker to win but for instance wed evening sat in 3 tournaments after slowly accumulating chips for over an hour my aa get beat by the 77 all in shortly after after my nut flush is beaten by runner runner fh and then finally my flush gets beat by river fh. all annoying but hey that is poker but then when I started looking at my stats and such I just realised that I havent cashed in roughly my last 200 tournaments despite my itm was usually at a rather impressive 40%  for the 1000 previous tournaments. anyways that enough about me I just wondered what other people do
    Posted by fliddyfish
    You've still cashed in 400 out of 1,200 tournaments.

This is incredible (some might say impossible).

Even though I suspect your numbers aren't totally accurate, they do show how poker works.

After cashing in 40% of 1,000 MTTs, you were always going to hit some sort of a downswing at some point. Without necessarily doing anything wrong.

You aren't good enough to cash in 40% in mtts, and there's no way you're bad enough for 0 cashes in 200 to be a fair reflection. It's somewhere in the middle.

Key is to not get too carried away when you win, or too upset when you lose, overall when samples get big enough you will get what you deserve.

Having said that if you're having a really rough run most people seem to advocate taking a couple of weeks off.

gl.
  • edited September 2014
    It depends why you play the game, if it's just for fun then a break is probably best. It will do nothing in terms of affecting how good or bad you run when you come back but big downswings can be pretty soul destroying and there's no point going through it if you just play for fun.

Changing sites is pointless, it'll have no affect on how you run

Changing how you play as a whole isn't a good idea if you're a proven long term winner, but as others said it's always good to try to constantly be looking for leaks and ways to improve but you shouldn't only do this when running bad. Runbad can cause all kinds of tilt that you might not even notice yourself... like if you're getting outdrawn loads it's easy to start betting for value less and pot controlling a lot more which inevitably leads to getting less value from your hands when the villian misses AND giving people cheaper ways to outdraw you so you end up getting outdrawn even more which just sends you deeper into that shell.

Moving down stakes is a viable option, but probably only necessary if you're no longer rolled for a level. If you got £500 and play 10NL and can honestly say you're still playing well the vast majority of the time then there's no need to move down. Too many people refuse to move down though when it's going bad and they aint rolled for it anymore.

In my experience a break is always good if it's getting to you, even if its just for a couple of days. Poker can be all consuming at times and it's good to get away and just not think about the game for a while.
  • edited September 2014
    How often do you play right now? I play pretty much every day when I can but if I'm going on a bad spell I'll often take a 3-4 day break. If you play a couple times a week then maybe a 2 week break would do you good? Everyone's different but for me, having a break definitely helps!
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: at what point should you quit?:
    In Response to at what point should you quit? : You've still cashed in 400 out of 1,200 tournaments. This is incredible (some might say impossible). Even though I suspect your numbers aren't totally accurate, they do show how poker works. After cashing in 40% of 1,000 MTTs, you were always going to hit some sort of a downswing at some point. Without necessarily doing anything wrong. You aren't good enough to cash in 40% in mtts, and there's no way you're bad enough for 0 cashes in 200 to be a fair reflection. It's somewhere in the middle. Key is to not get too carried away when you win, or too upset when you lose, overall when samples get big enough you will get what you deserve. Having said that if you're having a really rough run most people seem to advocate taking a couple of weeks off. gl.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Possibly a large amount of those cashes could be helped by positive variance, and now it's time to go through a bit of negative variance?
    Always worth remembering it works both ways.

GL Fliddy, lot of great advice here & elsewhere on the site from very skilled people.

• edited September 2014
    I think the site can affect how you play too, swapping sites isn't the worst idea.

For instance, I play on several sites, and on at least 5 per night.  On 4 of them I am winning and playing well.  On the 5th, I can't buy a win and it is only substantial promotion money (hi sky) that is keeping my bankroll going.
  • edited September 2014
    yeah agree with most people to be honest changing style never going to happen if I feel I played it right then regardless of outcome I cant complain since initial post I played 3 comps and actually came 3rd in the first lol just played a £10 bounty doing ok had doubled up in first 20 minutes b just playing solid then lost half to an all in when I had nut str8 he rivered flush next hand aq flop q hi and the table nut job all ins I call he has nothing then the runner runner str8 does me . so I feel I playing fine just wasting money which is fine if I getting the enjoyment or if I feel that im learning so will benefit in the long run but sadly I getting neither