You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

thoughts please

edited September 2014 in The Poker Clinic
gman912Small blind 300.00300.0021578.75
johnzzrBig blind 600.00900.002875.00
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

jonjo75Fold    
HENDRIK62Raise 1800.002700.006980.00
BigCesFold    
vaigretFold    
********Call 1500.004200.0020078.75
johnzzrFold    
Flop

*******Check    
HENDRIK62Bet 2100.006300.004880.00
*******Call 2100.008400.0017978.75
Turn

*******Check    
HENDRIK62All-in 4880.0013280.000.00
*******Call 4880.0018160.0013098.75
*******Show
  • A

HENDRIK62Show
  • K
  • K

River

*******WinFlush to the Ace18160.00 31258.75

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Nothing really to say.....

Raise pre is far too large though.
  • edited September 2014
    Yeah, this is pretty standard stuff Hendrik. A raise to 1300 pre, maybe. Other than that, there ain't much you can do.
  • edited September 2014
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for replies, I guess I should have put up some background, I was chatting on another thread about this hand but couldn't get it to post properly, yet for some reason it does here.

So just to be clear I am not bemoaning a bad beat ;-))

Interested about the raise size, table had been a bit cally (if that is even a word) and speculative and I really didn't want a multiway pot, as you can see BB is short and I was hoping to get a shove, but also if anyone else raises then I was intending to come over the top. I take your point, I would normally just double the BB here aswell.

The chat was really about the odds on him hitting his draw with only the river card to come. could he have folded this, did I really want him to fold etc.

My feeling is I want him to call as at that point I am favourite against his overcard and we reckoned it was around 15-1 odds for him to river the flush, what do you think
  • edited September 2014
    We have KK and what, 16bb? I'm not too fussed if this goes multi way to a degree. Of course, it means we increase the risk of getting outdrawn, and we know we don't really want to see an A high flop, but I'm happy to take the chance that one or two villains might catch a piece of a flop and pay us off. When we are this shallow, and have the 2nd best starting hand, there are very few flops that we aren't piling our chips in. We have Kings, a calling table and 16bb, it doesn't get much better than this.

You say about wanting/hoping someone comes over the top pre, but 3x reduces the probability of this happening. What hands are you 3x folding from this stack? If someone has 77 behind, you've given them a get out of jail free card.

Finally, yes of course we want him to call. We are comfortably ahead, but as often the case in poker, unless we have someone drawing dead then they will get there occasionally. His equity isn't actually too bad, with the live Ace and club outs. I make it about 20% with one card to come, but my maths are poor so someone might put me in my place with that figure. I'm amazed it didn't go in on that flop tbh ;)

Lastly, try not to concern yourself with how others play. We can't control what others do, only how we played the hand. Did we play this hand well? Yes, I think it's ok, bar the opening raise being a tad large and might telegraph the strength of our hand. Villain won this hand this time, but long term you'll hold much more than you'll lose.
  • edited September 2014
    good pointers, thanks a lot for your help, its really appreciated.

Neil
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: thoughts please:
    We have KK and what, 16bb? I'm not too fussed if this goes multi way to a degree. Of course, it means we increase the risk of getting outdrawn, and we know we don't really want to see an A high flop, but I'm happy to take the chance that one or two villains might catch a piece of a flop and pay us off. When we are this shallow, and have the 2nd best starting hand, there are very few flops that we aren't piling our chips in. We have Kings, a calling table and 16bb, it doesn't get much better than this. You say about wanting/hoping someone comes over the top pre, but 3x reduces the probability of this happening. What hands are you 3x folding from this stack? If someone has 77 behind, you've given them a get out of jail free card. Finally, yes of course we want him to call. We are comfortably ahead, but as often the case in poker, unless we have someone drawing dead then they will get there occasionally. His equity isn't actually too bad, with the live Ace and club outs. I make it about 20% with one card to come, but my maths are poor so someone might put me in my place with that figure. I'm amazed it didn't go in on that flop tbh ;) Lastly, try not to concern yourself with how others play. We can't control what others do, only how we played the hand. Did we play this hand well? Yes, I think it's ok, bar the opening raise being a tad large and might telegraph the strength of our hand. Villain won this hand this time, but long term you'll hold much more than you'll lose.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

In my extremely humble opinion, this post should be read 2 or 3 times. Great analysis and great strategic insight.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: thoughts please : In my extremely humble opinion, this post should be read 2 or 3 times. Great analysis and great strategic insight.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Agreed.
  • edited September 2014
    BigBluster doesn't like me, I think he's being sarcastic Hendrick.
  • edited September 2014
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    It's a close race between Mark David Chapman and Malcolm as to who has the bigger fan base.
  • edited September 2014
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Agreed, I don't like you. But through forked tongue I had to admit that your post was a good read.