You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Boo

edited September 2014 in Sit & Go Strategy
In Response to DYM'S Beware of JOHN CONNOR:
For those new players who read the previous posts by Sky Poker with JOHN CONNOR BEWARE! The strategy he is telling you all about he does not abide by. I have played with JOHN CONNOR and players like him, who trawl the DYM's for suckers. JOHN CONNOR plays only Aces or Kings or hopes for Big Blind Specials, he folds EVERY other hands and wait for two players to bust, he then just goes all in when blinds get higher, if he is betting early to mid levels unless you have the nuts I'd watch out. The strategy he is trying to convince you all to play is for normal sit and go's even tournement play. Players like him I have no doubt win at these by drawing in new players convincing them to start with DYM'S, there is a reason sky and John want you to listen EASY MONEY! I said I'd expose players like you John who probably are pretty good at poker in general but not when I see this convincing people to play. I can name a few others for people to look out for I'd advise playing against them. They also shockingly seem to run well! The bounty hunters are more fun Good Luck
Posted by jonpaulf29

Sounds like good DYM strategy to me.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM'S Beware of JOHN CONNOR:
    In Response to Re: DYM'S Beware of JOHN CONNOR : Embarresing not poker not fun pathetic, warning for players who don't know, you wanna be like that you will be found out, encouraging people to play who don't know people like John Connor is wrong
    Posted by jonpaulf29
    Are you trying to say he wrote his guide one way and plays another to fool new players?
    I've played DYM's for about 3 years now and have shared tables with many of the regs (including JC).
    His guide,and it is only a guide, is as relevant today as when it was written 3 years ago.

I'm guessing, but might be wrong, that you haven't quite grasped the mindset needed for DYM's.

Some people can look it and say its not "proper poker" but its just another form of poker.

I notice you like the BH's more, perhaps you could spare some of your own time to write a blog on how to play BH's?
  • edited September 2014
    Isn't that how you play DYMS?

JC does not get any more luck than anyone else. It only seems like that because he is getting his chips in with the best hands the majority of the time.
  • edited September 2014
    For those new players who read the previous posts by Sky Poker with JOHN CONNOR BEWARE! The strategy he is telling you all about he does not abide by. I have played with JOHN CONNOR and players like him, who trawl the DYM's for suckers. JOHN CONNOR plays only Aces or Kings or hopes for Big Blind Specials, he folds EVERY other hands and wait for two players to bust, he then just goes all in when blinds get higher, if he is betting early to mid levels unless you have the nuts I'd watch out. The strategy he is trying to convince you all to play is for normal sit and go's even tournement play. Players like him I have no doubt win at these by drawing in new players convincing them to start with DYM'S, there is a reason sky and John want you to listen EASY MONEY! I said I'd expose players like you John who probably are pretty good at poker in general but not when I see this convincing people to play. I can name a few others for people to look out for I'd advise playing against them. They also shockingly seem to run well! The bounty hunters are more fun Good Luck
    Posted by jonpaulf29
    This is how you play DYMs, no?
  • edited September 2014
    You can name me too, I don't mind :-)
  • edited September 2014
    What is going on in the dym community here?

Deary me.
  • edited September 2014
    From the first page of his guide:

-------

When you think that QQ vs AKs is only as small as a 54% favourite, you will see why I advocate a super tight strategy in the early stages of DYMs. I suspect this is what people mean when they say that DYMs ‘are not poker’. 

-------
    He's advocating being careful with hands as strong as QQ in his opening paragraphs.

His guide is pretty comprehensive,  deals with a number of common spots and has the basic 'tight is right' advice for newbs as well as going deeper down the rabbit hole for improving players and skilled players alike. 

Your winrate will improve for having read it.

Dont agree with the thrust of your argument at all.

Best of luck going forward though.

• edited September 2014
    I think that Skynet need to beware of John Connor ...

• edited September 2014
    Read that quoted paragraph above:

"I advocate a super-tight strategy in the early stages of a DYM"

Im not sure he is as disingenuous as you allege, or at all even.

Dont know what buyin you played him at, but dont forget john is a very experienced player who coaches these games.

He probably doesnt 100%  follow his own advice in the blog, as his blog is aimed at players less experienced and skilled than himself. And it was written years ago.

Put another way, just because he has taught you everything YOU  know doesnt mean he has taught you everything HE knows.

Not meaning you personally of course.
  • edited September 2014
    I'm defo writing a hypers guide extolling the virtues of uber tight card selection at all stack depths though...
  • edited September 2014
    I guess I must have read a very different DYM guide written by a different John connor (maybe it is a skynet conpiracy Bonk;-))).

He states very clearly that you need to stay out of trouble and play only premium hands, as the blinds increase he advocates loosening up and clearly also states that he will often call with any two often meaning he takes flak in the chat box (are these the donkey shoves and plays you refer to).

He is for sure a very tough opponenty and I can understand you not enjoying playing when he is at the table, it is a very different strategy to a MMT (especially bounty hunters)

I certainly don't think it is a conspiracy to draw in fresh meat to exploit, watch all the good DYM players they do exactly the same (there is a reason for that) and he has actually gone out of his way to provide aguide, if you follow it you will be more successful in DYM's no question.

Neil
  • edited September 2014
    Posted by jonpaulf29
    I think what people are trying to tell you is these two statements are contradictory. 
  • edited September 2014

Well the title of your thread is correct, if nothing else.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM'S Beware of JOHN CONNOR : What he goes on to say and to others as I read through a few he is lying, I know having played with him on more than one occasion, DYM'S he is encouraging people to play so he can make money off them obviously. I just don't like him and reading through he is a liar Up to him or people if they play that way not particular bothered if people play super tight I do sometimes! But what he is saying he is not being true My Opinion so was just warning new naive players playing against him You do what's good for you Ted good luck
    Posted by jonpaulf29
    Jon,

You cannot say things like that unless you have proof.

It makes no more sense than to say, for example, that "the best hand loses 90% of the time". Which you said yesterday on a different thread.

There are a million inflections & nuances available.

John Connor is not a "liar", any more than "the best hand loses 90% of the time in DYM's" is true. But I'd not call the author of that statement a "liar", so please be a little more careful with your wording.

Thank you.

• edited September 2014
    Posted by JingleMa
    The OP has subsequently changed the title of the thread, & removed his opening post.
  • edited September 2014
    Posted by JingleMa
    It was, yeah. I used to frequent the tables with JC on a regular basis a few years ago, along with jimifloyd and a few others. He was very good back then. I stopped playing them so much but JC carried on doing his thing. Top fella in the real lifes as well.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM'S Beware of JOHN CONNOR : The OP has subsequently changed the title of the thread, & removed his opening post.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay,

Looks like you've had a busy week on the forum! :-)

That's ok, the title's still here on our thread replies and his op is all there in Vespa's first reply, so people can still read his nonsense if they want to.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM'S Beware of JOHN CONNOR : It was, yeah. I used to frequent the tables with JC on a regular basis a few years ago, along with jimifloyd and a few others. He was very good back then. I stopped playing them so much but JC carried on doing his thing. Top fella in the real lifes as well.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Yep, that's what I've heard too.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM'S Beware of JOHN CONNOR : Hi Tikay, Looks like you've had a busy week on the forum! :-) That's ok, the title's still here on our thread replies and his op is all there in Vespa's first reply, so people can still read his nonsense if they want to.
    Posted by JingleMa
    Yes, it's been an interesting week......

How are you these days? Can't recall when I last saw you, was it Walsall GUKPT, the time Scotty made the Final? Anyway, I hope you & yours are well.

I'd like a quid for every SNG you must have played on Sky Poker down the years!

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM'S Beware of JOHN CONNOR : Yep, that's what I've heard too.
    Posted by JingleMa
    Could not agree more (that JC is a top bloke), He did all those articles for nothing, just to help players get better at them. I think, eventually, Sky Poker may have given him a Free Entry to something or other, but his work is a masterpiece of its type, & must have helped thousands of players. Not sure how many people in poker have been so selfless as John. Plenty of people "knock", very few "do".

Which is why I thought it was out of order to hear his integrity & honesty questioned on this thread. Hopefully, the OP willl withdraw his comments & apologise to John.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM'S Beware of JOHN CONNOR : Yes, it's been an interesting week...... How are you these days? Can't recall when I last saw you, was it Walsall GUKPT, the time Scotty made the Final? Anyway, I hope you & yours are well. I'd like a quid for every SNG you must have played on Sky Poker down the years!
    Posted by Tikay10

Yes, so would I! ;-)

Blimey, last time must have been Luton two or three years back I would think, I just don't play any live tournies anymore.

Great to see you still going strong and keeping the Sky locomotive full steam ahead!

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: DYM'S Beware of JOHN CONNOR : Yep, that's what I've heard too.
    Posted by JingleMa
    None sense ok pal telling how it is, I changed it because couldn't be bothered with it didn't know couldn't delete fully, I stand by what I said I know I'm right, it is not right for him to encourage new players to play DYM'S saying it's the best way to learn as that is factually complete false. Maybe you think different as you do the same and make your money from these. Up to you I know what I'm doing and make my money from other forms of poker I just say it how it is, some people agree some don't whatever the weather. I enjoy playing so I prefer playing other poker but do play DYM'S depending on mood or how long I'm playing for. 
  • edited September 2014
    Should this thread not have been deleted?! it's a completely unprovoked attack on another player?!

For the record i have played hundreds of games with JC and he is good guy. I would also say that he does stick to his dym strategy 90% of the time and have seen him go on sick runs of bad beats which im sure would make your eyes water!!

It's excellent piece by JC which i'm sure has helped many many players (including myself) and he should simply be applauded for it. If anything that article has probably cost him money by players reading it and understanding dyms better and then playing against him.

He wrote that article voluntarily and you or any others have no need to follow it if you dont want to but to insult him is just disgusting. You should be ashamed and embarassed!!
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Boo:
    Should this thread not have been deleted?! it's a completely unprovoked attack on another player?! For the record i have played hundreds of games with JC and he is good guy. I would also say that he does stick to his dym strategy 90% of the time and have seen him go on sick runs of bad beats which im sure would make your eyes water!! It's excellent piece by JC which i'm sure has helped many many players (including myself) and he should simply be applauded for it. If anything that article has probably cost him money by players reading it and understanding dyms better and then playing against him. He wrote that article voluntarily and you or any others have no need to follow it if you dont want to but to insult him is just disgusting. You should be ashamed and embarassed!!
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Hi JD,

Bit of a dilemmna that. When Sky delete or close threads all sorts of hoohah goes off, sometimes with good reason.

In THIS case, I think it was right to leave it open.

Why?

ALL the responses seemed to work out what it was REALLY about, & were 100% supportive of JC. I don't think a soul believed that JC had been deliberately misinforming anyone.

The same chap started another thread, claiming that "90% of the time, I lose with the best hand". I suggested he produced the Hand Histories.

I hear what you say, & why, but I don't believe JC's character has been damaged one iota. The thread policed itself, & there were no buyers.  

• edited September 2014
    I find I play 90% of the best hands incorrectly 90% of the time,so I would not notice owt wrong anyway :-D......thought that was why the poker gods gave me such few good /best hands........as it probably it is a waste of time..but with help from the likes of John..maybe there is hope for me yet....... :-)
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Boo:
    In Response to Re: Boo : Hi JD, Bit of a dilemmna that. When Sky delete or close threads all sorts of hoohah goes off, sometimes with good reason. In THIS case, I think it was right to leave it open. Why? ALL the responses seemed to work out what it was REALLY about, & were 100% supportive of JC. I don't think a soul believed that JC had been deliberately misinforming anyone.   The same chap started another thread, claiming that "90% of the time, I lose with the best hand". I suggested he produced the Hand Histories. I hear what you say, & why, but I don't believe JC's character has been damaged one iota. The thread policed itself, & there were no buyers.       
    Posted by Tikay10
    Some fair points tk
  • edited September 2014
    Hello Jon. I see in your last thread you were 'venting' because you stated the best hand lost in 90% of cases in an all in situation. To analyse this statement we would really need hand history of the hands in question and an idea of your style of play. For example if you have been playing loose aggresive and have seen your stack dwindle down to say 300 or 400 chips & get dealt AK and shove, if another player has say 4500 chips they are pretty much guna call with any two cards due to being priced in, now im afraid your ace high is going to get beat a fair amount of the time. If this is the sort of situation your are referring to then you need to get your chips in the middle alot earlier, probably with a far weaker hand. Alot of the time it's not about the cards it's about the situation, knowing when to fold and when to shove! Hope this helps.