You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

An extra opponent?

edited January 2010 in Area 51
As if it aint hard enough trying to beat fellow players at the tables, there now seems to be an extra one in the so called `RANDOM DEALER`. It`s getting like a lottery no matter what cards your dealt with,if your name is on the winning ticket you win simple as that. Yes i do realise it works both ways but i`d prefer to play on a 100% level playing field.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    It is a 100% level playing field.
    You are right in one aspect though, the "random dealer" is like the lottery; i.e. both are totally random.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to An extra opponent?:
    As if it aint hard enough trying to beat fellow players at the tables, there now seems to be an extra one in the so called `RANDOM DEALER`. It`s getting like a lottery no matter what cards your dealt with,if your name is on the winning ticket you win simple as that. Yes i do realise it works both ways but i`d prefer to play on a 100% level playing field.
    Posted by lucy4
    yes, a long as your still in the hand come the river??
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: An extra opponent?:
    In Response to An extra opponent? : yes, a long as your still in the hand come the river??
    Posted by loonytoons
    exactly but some of them shouldnt even be in on the flop/turn but hit more times than they should,
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: An extra opponent? : exactly but some of them shouldnt even be in on the flop/turn but hit more times than they should,
    Posted by lucy4
    Cant disagree with you Lucy. "Name on the Trophy" imo
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: An extra opponent? : exactly but some of them shouldnt even be in on the flop/turn but hit more times than they should,
    Posted by lucy4
    They don't hit more often than they "should". A random number generator is used to "deal" the deck. In the long run they will hit in accordance with the probability of doing so. In the short run they may hit more often or they may hit less often. On a roulette table, the chance of hitting black is just under 50% (because of the zero) and the chance of hitting red is also just under 50%. I have seen a roulette wheel hit black 11 times in a row. Is that fixed?
    The odds of that happening are .5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5 = 0.04% or 1 time in 2,500. The odds of the guys hitting their cards are very much better than that.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: An extra opponent? : They don't hit more often than they "should". A random number generator is used to "deal" the deck. In the long run they will hit in accordance with the probability of doing so. In the short run they may hit more often or they may hit less often. On a roulette table, the chance of hitting black is just under 50% (because of the zero) and the chance of hitting red is also just under 50%. I have seen a roulette wheel hit black 11 times in a row. Is that fixed? The odds of that happening are .5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5 = 0.04% or 1 time in 2,500. The odds of the guys hitting their cards are very much better than that.
    Posted by Seagull158
    You are stating that an 11 timer at a shade under 1/1 would be a 2500/1 accumulator.
    Cant see the link between this and players hitting regularly when the are quite clearly behind....
  • edited January 2010
    And without wishing to sound rude, the odds on your 11-timer would be around 2000/1.
    Still cant see the link between this and someone bingo-ing a straight or a flush et cetera.
  • edited January 2010
    And without wishing to sound rude, the odds on your 11-timer would be around 2000/1. Still cant see the link between this and someone bingo-ing a straight or a flush et cetera.
    Posted by emilyegg
    My point is that there is such a thing as variance and deviation. Just because you are 90% (or 80% or 70% or 60%) favourite to win the hand doesnt mean you are going to win the hand! Sometimes you are not going to win the hand. The point is was making is that it is not that exceptional for the underdog to outdraw the favourite several times in a row. That is not a reason to claim it is fixed. In the long run (hundreds of thousands of hands) the results will tend towards the calculated probabilities. I drew the analogy with the roulette wheel highlighting a real situation I witnessed where the same colour came down 11 times in a row, the probability of which (if you ignore the zero on the wheel) is .0048828125 or just under .5% or 1 in 200 as you rightly point out.
  • dmwdmw
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: An extra opponent? : My point is that there is such a thing as variance and deviation. Just because you are 90% (or 80% or 70% or 60%) favourite to win the hand doesnt mean you are going to win the hand! Sometimes you are not going to win the hand. The point is was making is that it is not that exceptional for the underdog to outdraw the favourite several times in a row. That is not a reason to claim it is fixed. In the long run (hundreds of thousands of hands) the results will tend towards the calculated probabilities. I drew the analogy with the roulette wheel highlighting a real situation I witnessed where the same colour came down 11 times in a row, the probability of which (if you ignore the zero on the wheel) is .0048828125 or just under .5% or 1 in 200 as you rightly point out.
    Posted by Seagull158
    The last few days i have some unbelievable bad beats, people that shouldnt be in the hand, but call your raises and your all ins and hit miracles cards!!! like they have a sixth sense. Leads me to believe im on some sort of naughty list and no matter what cards i have i will never win!!!  Of course this cant be so, but it sures feels like it!! really do have sympathy with you.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: An extra opponent? : My point is that there is such a thing as variance and deviation. Just because you are 90% (or 80% or 70% or 60%) favourite to win the hand doesnt mean you are going to win the hand! Sometimes you are not going to win the hand. The point is was making is that it is not that exceptional for the underdog to outdraw the favourite several times in a row. That is not a reason to claim it is fixed. In the long run (hundreds of thousands of hands) the results will tend towards the calculated probabilities. I drew the analogy with the roulette wheel highlighting a real situation I witnessed where the same colour came down 11 times in a row, the probability of which (if you ignore the zero on the wheel) is .0048828125 or just under .5% or 1 in 200 as you rightly point out.
    Posted by Seagull158
    Fair point about the variance and deviation m8. Cant recall reading the original poster saying it was "fixed" (apologies if they did) but it is fair to see where they are coming from with regard to being continually sucked out.
    Had a day pretty much like it myself (not a bad beats complaint) where cards to beat me have been saying coo-eee to me from the top of my street before hitting the screen!!
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: An extra opponent? : Fair point about the variance and deviation m8. Cant recall reading the original poster saying it was "fixed" (apologies if they did) but it is fair to see where they are coming from with regard to being continually sucked out. Had a day pretty much like it myself (not a bad beats complaint) where cards to beat me have been saying coo-eee to me from the top of my street before hitting the screen!!
    Posted by emilyegg
    She says she prefers to play on a 100% leve playing field. The inference is that it is unfair i.e. fixed.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: An extra opponent? : She says she prefers to play on a 100% leve playing field. The inference is that it is unfair i.e. fixed.
    Posted by Seagull158[/QUO

The inference could be viewed in many different ways.
    Personally, I`d say she has taken more than a few bad ones (probably not 11 in a row) when she was ahead, and because she would be far shorter odds than 1/1 in all of these situations, it is understandable that she is a bit miffed with it all. i.e upset.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to An extra opponent?:
    Posted by lucy4
    Lucy, are you suggesting that the dealing is not random and that it is fixed?
  • edited January 2010
    i get bitter when i get beat by someone with a weaker hand but thats life.

i was against the chip leader and was short stacked. got aces so went all in he had 9s and he hit a 9 on the flop and knocked me out.

ITS NOT THAT SKY FIXED THIS ITS JUST BEING UNLUCKY.
  • edited January 2010

Hand History #223196046 (18:20 12/01/2010)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    vslippery1 Small blind  200.00 200.00 2860.00
    donkeyplop Big blind  400.00 600.00 8540.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

vslippery1 All-in  2860.00 3460.00 0.00
    donkeyplop Call  2660.00 6120.00 5880.00
    vslippery1 Show
    • A
    • A

donkeyplop Show
    • A

Flop

Turn

• Q

River

donkeyplop Win Straight to the 8 6120.00  12000.