You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Aussie09

edited September 2014 in Poker Chat
I don't know if many people seen Robs post last night about not doing the jackpot update.
If not he will not be updating the nightly jackpot due to trolling.
Just want to say a big thanks for  all the work he did every night updating and giving forum members someone to rail when the jackpot was a possibility.
I was lucky enough to reach both final tables and it was so nice to have a rail all because of Robs updates.

Thanks Rob

Pat

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Nice post. I echo your sentiments. Great job.

His updates will be sorely missed.
  • edited September 2014

Big shame, Aussie has been here longer than most and is an all round good guy.
    Unfortunately the trolls get to us all eventually.

You never know he may come back from down under  ;)

• edited September 2014
    Strange times we're living in.

Thanks Rob, always looked forward to the jackpot updates and tried my best to be amongst it.
  • edited September 2014

+1 to all those Posts.

We have a few regulars here who help make the Community better, GaryQQQ with his results theread, Rob with his Jackpot Updates, etc. We should never take them, for granted. 

Its not the end of the world by any means, but even so, its pretty sad that the trolls seem to be running riot right now.

I hope Rob has reported it to Customer Care.

Anyway, a big "thank you" to Rob, your efforts really were appreciated by so many of us. 

• edited September 2014
    A shame that Aussie got upset by the Trolls as I usually used to look at his thread, even if I was not in contention(as usual) just to see who was in contntion
  • edited September 2014
    In what way was Aussie09 being trolled? I thought trolls were people setting up accounts on things like twitter and then abusing celebreties.

Are there idiots out there that PM him on here or abuse him in the chat box?

Apologies for the niave / stupid question.

Well done for what Rob did I am sure Sky appreciated it as well as filled a bit of airtime on each show which I suppose is always handy.

Greg.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Aussie09:
    In what way was Aussie09 being trolled? I thought trolls were people setting up accounts on things like twitter and then abusing celebreties. Are there idiots out there that PM him on here or abuse him in the chat box? Apologies for the niave / stupid question. Well done for what Rob did I am sure Sky appreciated it as well as filled a bit of airtime on each show which I suppose is always handy. Greg.
    Posted by GREGSTER
    "....In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion....."

See.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
  • edited September 2014
    Thanks tikay. I would assume chatbox abuse then. Some strange people about.
  • edited September 2014
    Thanks tikay. I would assume chatbox abuse then. Some strange people about.
    Posted by GREGSTER
    Well I've not seen his Jackpot thread trolled, so yes, must be on the Tables. We have been invaded by a few trolls on the Community recently, though.

And yes, a most peculiar thing.
  • edited September 2014
    There seems to have been a few similar threads and I think part of the problem is one persons banter can be another persons troll. In another thread it was mentioned about a lack of chat being bad for the game so we do need table chat and we are all adults so it can be tricky. Banter in chat can be tricky as you cant understand the tone of a message and there can be a fine line between banter and abuse. Some people are being abusive on purpose while others are just trying to be funny but failing.  
  • edited September 2014

thanks for all your comments, it is quite uplifting to see. 

it has been quite a surprise to read comments about the jackpot updates in the chatbox.  it has been a greater surprise to still read those comments too.   i guess some people will try to injure their opponents anyway they can.  most odd that some are sky regs.

anyway, thanks goes to the OP, Pat, and to you.  there are many fine people here.

• edited September 2014
    much easier to be destructive than creative, unfortunately. and far easier to slate someone's efforts than to match them.

in poker terms its easier to blame variance [or regs for writing deliberately misleading strategy advice!] than to try and digest that advice and work on beating a format.

trolling is summat that goes on in wider society these days: set-up stereotypes that are easy to target, then pick on those targets and create an inclusiveness by way of 'my enemies enemy is my friend': kinship through hate and  exclusion. boss. thoroughly lazy.

imagine, sitting at a screen where you have access to the sum-total of human knowledge and writen thought / literature, innumerable games, films, tv shows not to mention hours of boss p*rn and using your time to mock someone for contributing to a poker forum. ho hum.

raymind tallis is one of my favorite people. he wrote a wonderful piece on the shallows that we choose to bathe in, some may enjoy a little extract: [tl;dr alert]

There is unimaginable complexity in the processes by which our individual consciousnesses are pooled into a shared community of understanding. We’re inducted into a world collectively articulated to the point where we’re willing and able to purvey inaccurate commonplaces with the aim of making ourselves more acceptable to those around us by dissolving our singularity into a saucerful of tepid togetherness. And this is part of a greater mystery: that of how, given the extraordinary nature of the human condition, and the brilliant and sometimes catastrophic development of our collective consciousness through history, we can pass so much of our time not merely in the grip of an unexamined life, but bathing in its warm shallows.

-

This mystery is replicated in the everyday tragedy of speech: how this exquisite sculpturing of the air (with its complex phonology, phonetics, phonemics, morphophonemics, syntactics, semantics, semantic syntax, pragmatics, stylistics, sociolinguistics, physics, neurology, sociology, and the anthropology necessary to transmit precise meanings) is often mere prattle or yakking – a means by which one person bores another. The melancholy reduction of so many miracles to a vehicle for staleness is replicated again and again, in just the way that the genius which has gone into the wonderful artifacts which populate our environment is often subordinated to unworthy ends. Words are bounced off satellites thousands of miles up in the sky so that one person can rabbit on to another about nothing in particular.

• edited September 2014
    There seems to have been a few similar threads and I think part of the problem is one persons banter can be another persons troll. In another thread it was mentioned about a lack of chat being bad for the game so we do need table chat and we are all adults so it can be tricky. Banter in chat can be tricky as you cant understand the tone of a message and there can be a fine line between banter and abuse. Some people are being abusive on purpose while others are just trying to be funny but failing.  
    Posted by MattBates
    A lot of it has to do with how familiar you are with the person you're 'abusing'. There are probably half a dozen folk on this site that I would feel comfortable abusing in the chat box, but that's because I know them personally and that line of discomfort is so much further away. The problem is that other people at the table may not be aware of the dynamic and simply think it's out of order.

Abuse can be banter, but only if your relationship allows for it.
  • edited September 2014
    much easier to be destructive than creative, unfortunately. and far easier to slate someone's efforts than to match them. in poker terms its easier to blame variance [or regs for writing deliberately misleading strategy advice!] than to try and digest that advice and work on beating a format. trolling is summat that goes on in wider society these days: set-up stereotypes that are easy to target, then pick on those targets and create an inclusiveness by way of 'my enemies enemy is my friend': kinship through hate and  exclusion. boss. thoroughly lazy. imagine, sitting at a screen where you have access to the sum-total of human knowledge and writen thought / literature, innumerable games, films, tv shows not to mention hours of boss p*rn and using your time to mock someone for contributing to a poker forum. ho hum. raymind tallis is one of my favorite people. he wrote a wonderful piece on the shallows that we chose to bathe in, some may enjoy a little extract: [tl;dr alert] There is unimaginable complexity in the processes by which our individual consciousnesses are pooled into a shared community of understanding. We’re inducted into a world collectively articulated to the point where we’re willing and able to purvey inaccurate commonplaces with the aim of making ourselves more acceptable to those around us by dissolving our singularity into a saucerful of tepid togetherness. And this is part of a greater mystery: that of how, given the extraordinary nature of the human condition, and the brilliant and sometimes catastrophic development of our collective consciousness through history, we can pass so much of our time not merely in the grip of an unexamined life, but bathing in its warm shallows. - This mystery is replicated in the everyday tragedy of speech: how this exquisite sculpturing of the air (with its complex phonology, phonetics, phonemics, morphophonemics, syntactics, semantics, semantic syntax, pragmatics, stylistics, sociolinguistics, physics, neurology, sociology, and the anthropology necessary to transmit precise meanings) is often mere prattle or yakking – a means by which one person bores another. The melancholy reduction of so many miracles to a vehicle for staleness is replicated again and again, in just the way that the genius which has gone into the wonderful artifacts which populate our environment is often subordinated to unworthy ends. Words are bounced off satellites thousands of miles up in the sky so that one person can rabbit on to another about nothing in particular.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Brilliant.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Aussie09 : A lot of it has to do with how familiar you are with the person you're 'abusing'. There are probably half a dozen folk on this site that I would feel comfortable abusing in the chat box, but that's because I know them personally and that line of discomfort is so much further away. The problem is that other people at the table may not be aware of the dynamic and simply think it's out of order. Abuse can be banter, but only if your relationship allows for it.
    Posted by Slipwater
    and that's the difficulty, in setting up rules that don't throw the baby out with the bathwater
    we want the banter, even with slippy FFS
    but we don't want the abuse

was a big fan of the jackpot listings, and seeing who else was on for it when running deep oneself added to the excitement. indeed just getting onto the interim list was a challenge in itself.

big +1 to the petition to bring it back, but fully understand Aussie's position if he doesn't want to. it was great while it lasted.
  • edited September 2014

brilliant, im not wasting anymore, words. Now,i have now taken a vow of silence,until i have something to say for the betterment of mankind.
  • edited September 2014

was my punctuation O.K. ?
  • edited September 2014
         was my punctuation O.K. ?
    Posted by thejudge10
    I'm hoping that was rhetorical.
  • edited September 2014
    I'd like to thank Aussie09 for all his posts re the possible jackpot aswell.  It's always fun to see if there's any names of possibles that you'd like to rail and encourage.  He puts a lot of time into it and doesn't deserve any flack for it.  That reminds me - think I'll go nominate him for TOTP if you can nominate for threads rather than individual posts?

• edited September 2014
    I'd like to thank Aussie09 for all his posts re the possible jackpot aswell.  It's always fun to see if there's any names of possibles that you'd like to rail and encourage.  He puts a lot of time into it and doesn't deserve any flack for it.  That reminds me - think I'll go nominate him for TOTP if you can nominate for threads rather than individual posts?
    Posted by IrishRose
    +1
  • edited September 2014

Posted by Deek10
    Simple...just be nice to everybody at the table.