You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good value bet? Or crazy bet?

edited September 2014 in Betting Chat
I usually do one biggish bet per season and after having a decent result in an mtt I pushed the boat out & put £500 on Leeds United to score 5 or more goals in any league game this season. I am a Leeds fan, but a realistic one, so I realise that it is far from a certainty, but it was 5/1 and I think they are very generous odds. Of the four seasons we have played in the championship we have achieved it in two seasons with probably as equally cr*p a team as we have now., so on that basis alone the odds would be 1/1..

Maybe wishful thinking on my behalf but what the hay, it's done now..

Incidently, I checked to see if odds have gone out after a poor start and less games left to play but they've actually come in to 7/2..
Do you think one bet of £500 would effect the price of a national bookmaker? ..skybet. . I cannot think of another reason why they would drop the price, in fact quite the opposite like I said I expected price to have gone out.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    I would guess the reason Skybet have shortened the odds has more to do with the performances of other teams rather than Leeds looking world beaters
    Blackpool are in dissary,Blackburn have let in 3 twice already, Huddersfield have already conceded 4 twice in 5 games and Fulham have let in 5 once.
    Back to your original question 5/1 must be good value or the price would be going out rather than in.
    Also Im no expert on Leeds but they always seem to have a game or to at Elland road every season where they get ahead early the crowd goes crazy and somebody gets hit for a cricket score.
    Its also a bet your going to get plenty of excitement from. good luck with it I will be keeping an eye on it to see how you do.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Good value bet? Or crazy bet?:
    I would guess the reason Skybet have shortened the odds has more to do with the performances of other teams rather than Leeds looking world beaters Blackpool are in dissary,Blackburn have let in 3 twice already, Huddersfield have already conceded 4 twice in 5 games and Fulham have let in 5 once. Back to your original question 5/1 must be good value or the price would be going out rather than in. Also Im no expert on Leeds but they always seem to have a game or to at Elland road every season where they get ahead early the crowd goes crazy and somebody gets hit for a cricket score. Its also a bet your going to get plenty of excitement from. good luck with it I will be keeping an eye on it to see how you do.
    Posted by BADBOY985

Thanks BADBOY. Seems to make sense when you put it like that.  
    You are right, if nothing else I'll get some excitement out of it througbout the season.
  • edited September 2014

Robbie Fowler to take charge? Good/bad?

On the bet....good luck with it, but that amount seems too much IMO. Should have had £100 max on it and saved some for a gamble on each weeks result.
  • edited September 2014
    Robbie Fowler to take charge? Good/bad? On the bet....good luck with it, but that amount seems too much IMO. Should have had £100 max on it and saved some for a gamble on each weeks result.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Fowler? Not sure. To be honest, under the current regime Don Revie would struggle. Jimmy F.Hasslebaink has thrown his name into the hat. I would prefer him if given the choice. They're both strikers so hopefully the playing style they would create would help my bet!!!

I agree it's a big bet and more than my norm, I had binked a tourn on stars (not a major) and was quite a way through a bottle of jack daniels when I heard about the bet from a mate if I'm being honest. Otherwise prob would have gone 100.. lol.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Good value bet? Or crazy bet? : Fowler? Not sure. To be honest, under the current regime Don Revie would struggle. Jimmy F.Hasslebaink has thrown his name into the hat. I would prefer him if given the choice. They're both strikers so hopefully the playing style they would create would help my bet!!! I agree it's a big bet and more than my norm, I had binked a tourn on stars (not a major) and was quite a way through a bottle of jack daniels when I heard about the bet from a mate if I'm being honest. Otherwise prob would have gone 100.. lol.
    Posted by The_Hux
    haha!

Which tourny was it? Do you rip stars up as much as you do here?

Congrats on the great form recently and gl with the bet! Leeds seem to be on Sky every other week so at least you'll get plenty of opportunity to sweat it. 
  • edited September 2014
    3 goals away at Bournemouth have your odds contracted again?
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Good value bet? Or crazy bet?:
    I usually do one biggish bet per season and after having a decent result in an mtt I pushed the boat out & put £500 on Leeds United to score 5 or more goals in any league game this season. I am a Leeds fan, but a realistic one, so I realise that it is far from a certainty, but it was 5/1 and I think they are very generous odds. Of the four seasons we have played in the championship we have achieved it in two seasons with probably as equally cr*p a team as we have now., so on that basis alone the odds would be 1/1.. Maybe wishful thinking on my behalf but what the hay, it's done now.. Incidently, I checked to see if odds have gone out after a poor start and less games left to play but they've actually come in to 7/2.. Do you think one bet of £500 would effect the price of a national bookmaker? ..skybet. . I cannot think of another reason why they would drop the price, in fact quite the opposite like I said I expected price to have gone out.
    Posted by The_Hux
    love this bet, if it was to let in 5 lol im a leeds fan as well by the way. Had some big scores aganist at elland road past 2 years, GOOD LUCK hope it wins for ya.
  • edited September 2014
    3 goals away at Bournemouth have your odds contracted again?
    Posted by BADBOY985
    No. Still 7/2 after scoring 3 in each of last two games.. I get the 5/1 anyway. I was just curious why they had dropped, but your answer made a lot of sense.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Good value bet? Or crazy bet? : love this bet, if it was to let in 5 lol im a leeds fan as well by the way. Had some big scores aganist at elland road past 2 years, GOOD LUCK hope it wins for ya.
    Posted by BARBIE59
    Couldn't agree more ! We have shipped a few fives a seven and a six in recent times. Lol.
    I do seriously think 5/1 is very generous though. It's like them saying we will only score 5 once in every five seasons! Even Leeds aren't that bad. I have the feeling there is a 50/50 chance of it happening. Then again I'm a supporter. They are professional bookmakers who make millions. 
  • edited September 2014
    Good luck with your bet, after today, I wish I'd placed the same bet for my team Leicester :) Did get 5/1 for the win itself, though I've read one fan got £2 at 260/1 on an exchange site when we were 3-1 down. :)