You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Second chances...

edited September 2014 in Poker Chat
I want to address an issue that is perhaps not very important at all, but it does have regular legs on the forum, so I figured it would be good to put it to bed.. or at least tuck it in for the night. There is, of course, no direct correlation between this post and anything else :)

Image.

Not your image at a poker table, but how you represent yourself as a person, and more specifically, as a member of this community in live play.

I have met a number of players from these pages, and shared a drink/laugh/bad beat with perhaps twenty of them over the last couple of years. I got on with every one of them, without exception. I can honestly say I have not met anyone who rubbed me up the wrong way, and certainly none that I have a problem with. I'd like to think the reverse is also true ;)

Now, of course, that is not to say that they are all nice people - they could all go home and beat their mothers with a baseball bat - but the image I was left with, upon leaving an SPT or a meet at DTD, or (in one instance) a hastily-organised poker night in Glasgow, was that they're all just regular guys and girls looking to have a good time with a couple of cards, and without causing any upset.

I think, in the majority of cases (exactly as happens in Real Life), what you see is what you get. If a community member comes across as helpful and friendly here, that's generally what you will find when you shake their hand too. There's not much mileage in presenting a positive image in the forum and then proving to be a complete jerk when you go to meet those very people who have read your words, at a live game. Having said that, it's a lot more likely that someone who comes across poorly in the forum will present a much more palatable image in person, because it's a lot simpler to be a donkey from behind a keyboard ;)

First impressions do last, but it is important not to put too much value on them. If you meet a forum member for the first time, try to keep an open mind about them, and respect the situation. When alcohol and poker are combined, sometimes you have to make an allowance or two.

When I was at the UKPC in February I remember being a bit of a sad sack for about an hour, after busting from the Main Event. I had been outdrawn... guy shouldn't have called... poker is rubbish... blah blah. I dragged myself to the bar and spoke to one of the regulars here. I knew him, so it wasn't the first time we had met. He had busted earlier, and he bought me a drink and tried to talk me out of my doldrums. But I still left him that night wanting to jack the game in.

My point is: had that been our only meeting, I'm sure he'd have looked back and thought: gee, that Slipwater is a right grumpy so and so, and he'd have carried that impression with him into the next time we met and perhaps onto the pages here.

Catch us at the wrong time and we can all be jerks, but give us a second chance and the vast majority of us are worth being around.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    are you peter barlow,shouldn,t you be in prison ;)
    hes gonna get a 2nd chance too
    shonk.
  • edited September 2014
    I am new to this forum, but in the short time I've been here I have been given encouragement, support & comgratulations from numerous people on here. Yourself included. So I am looking forward to hopefully getting involved in a live event to meet some of you sometime. Regarding second chances.... I got slow rolled in what for me was a massive Heads up last week and yes it wound me up, who knows what was going through his head?? But for all I know he is probably a sound bloke who just felt a bit mischievous at that moment in time and might not have been aware of how sly it is to do such a thing, so why let it bother me? Although I'm not sure I would be quite so magnanimous had it happened live..

We have all been were you said you were after busting out of the UKPC. "Woe is me..I'm giving up poker.."etc etc.. 
    But it's all about perspective. I unfortunately suffered a bereavement at about that time ..I have been in a VERY low place, to the point where I didnt want to carry on. Sorry to get all heavy on you, but my many friends and family have lifted me to the point where those thoughts don't enter my mind any more. My point is, my opponent hitting  a one outer on the river, whilst giving me a feeling of dissapointment briefly ..basically in the great scheme of things it matters not a jot.

But hey sorry for getting a bit deep there. I suppose I just wanted to say "yes I agree people on here seem cool. Looking forward to sinking a few pints with y'all and taking all your chips!" ;-)
  • edited September 2014
    I didn't mean to position this as being about me - if that's how it came across. It isn't.

I read a few posts this morning about another community member, and I wanted to at least try and put a little perspective on the situation.

It would be good to meet you too, Hux. Well done on your recent run :)
  • edited September 2014
    I'm guessing slipwater that if you didn't know this person you probably wouldn't have been so honest about how you were feeling about poker at that time.
    Everyone acts a little different from behind a keyboard because we can, particularly when 'talking' to faceless people.

A pool forum I used to frequent years ago always had loads of aggro between members, until there was a meetup, tournie etc. Once people got to see the face and know the person, posts became more friendly.
  • edited September 2014
    Do you know why some players wear sun glasses at live games?

To stop the glare from Slipwaters shirts (obviously)
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Second chances...:
    I am new to this forum, but in the short time I've been here I have been given encouragement, support & comgratulations from numerous people on here. Yourself included. So I am looking forward to hopefully getting involved in a live event to meet some of you sometime. Regarding second chances.... I got slow rolled in what for me was a massive Heads up last week and yes it wound me up, who knows what was going through his head?? But for all I know he is probably a sound bloke who just felt a bit mischievous at that moment in time and might not have been aware of how sly it is to do such a thing, so why let it bother me? Although I'm not sure I would be quite so magnanimous had it happened live.. We have all been were you said you were after busting out of the UKPC. "Woe is me..I'm giving up poker.."etc etc..  But it's all about perspective. I unfortunately suffered a bereavement at about that time ..I have been in a VERY low place, to the point where I didnt want to carry on. Sorry to get all heavy on you, but my many friends and family have lifted me to the point where those thoughts don't enter my mind any more. My point is, my opponent hitting  a one outer on the river, whilst giving me a feeling of dissapointment briefly ..basically in the great scheme of things it matters not a jot. But hey sorry for getting a bit deep there. I suppose I just wanted to say "yes I agree people on here seem cool. Looking forward to sinking a few pints with y'all and taking all your chips!" ;-)
    Posted by The_Hux
    It very rarely happens live, for obvious reasons!

Belittling others online is quite the thing these days. It's a really odd thing, taking enjoyment from the misfortune of others.

Do you remember the Noel Edmonds TV Show section called "Gotcha"? That was what it did, deliberately tried to make people look silly. And viewers seemed to enjoy it. Go figure.

Welcome to the world of schadenfreude.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude
  • edited September 2014
    2nd chances are like cauliflowers, the first gets picked for you but the second one cooks itself...
  • edited September 2014
  • edited September 2014
    I used to be a right "insert derrogaty term" in online forums. I was young and immature but even so: looking back I have no idea why I was like that. Glad I changed my ways anyway!