You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Uk online gaming tax

edited September 2014 in Poker Chat
Just reading some stuff and stumbled across a 15% gaming tax for online companies thats to kick off in December 2014 - is this gonna impact Sky and therefore us as players?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Uk online gaming tax:
    Just reading some stuff and stumbled across a 15% gaming tax for online companies thats to kick off in December 2014 - is this gonna impact Sky and therefore us as players? http://news.sky.com/story/1129538/online-gambling-firms-to-pay-15-percent-tax-in-uk
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Pfft! Doubt it.

Not that it matters - Scotland is breaking away in five days ;)
  • edited September 2014
    will have to wait and see the outcome of any appeal as to whether this is in breach on anti competitive rules. if not this will ultimately put a dent in the net profits of any poker or gaming site where players are resident in the UK and the operators are remote.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Uk online gaming tax:
    Just reading some stuff and stumbled across a 15% gaming tax for online companies thats to kick off in December 2014 - is this gonna impact Sky and therefore us as players? http://news.sky.com/story/1129538/online-gambling-firms-to-pay-15-percent-tax-in-uk
    Posted by jdsallstar
    It applies to all UK based or UK facing Online Gaming sites, & has been in the pipeline for some time, so the big sites have had plenty of time to prepare & plan for it. The new GC Gaming Licences also come into effect very shortly.

I anticipate that many "familiar" names will depart the UK scene. Mansion Poker withdrew from the UK last week, & even the mighty Pinnacle, one of the largest online bookmakers in the world, has withdrawn from the UK as & from this weekend, though they have re-submitted their Licence Application so may return later.

Further familiar names in Online Gaming, including some Poker sites, will depart too, I imagine.  

Interesting times ahead.

• edited September 2014
    Again tikay thanks for the reply. 

Are we likely to see any immediate changes on sky poker as a result of this? 
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Uk online gaming tax:
    Again tikay thanks for the reply.  Are we likely to see any immediate changes on sky poker as a result of this? 
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Not that I am aware of, but I would not know anyway.

It will cost all Online Gaming Companies a lump of money, so, logically, they'll want to try & recover at least some of that that somehow. They would have, I assume, any mumber of different ways of doing that.   
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Uk online gaming tax : It applies to all UK based or UK facing Online Gaming sites, & has been in the pipeline for some time, so the big sites have had plenty of time to prepare & plan for it. The new GC Gaming Licences also come into effect very shortly.   I anticipate that many "familiar" names will depart the UK scene. Mansion Poker withdrew from the UK last week, & even the mighty Pinnacle, one of the largest online bookmakers in the world, has withdrawn from the UK as & from this weekend, though they have re-submitted their Licence Application so may return later.   Further familiar names in Online Gaming, including some Poker sites, will depart too, I imagine.   Interesting times ahead.   
    Posted by Tikay10

these companies should wait until thursday as relocating to scotland might become an alex salmond sponsored option and office space will be freely available.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Uk online gaming tax : maybe these companies should wait until thursday as relocating to scotland might become an alex salmond sponsored option and office space will be freely available.  
    Posted by aussie09

• edited September 2014
    Most of the larger companies this wont have any immedieate effect, its been in the pipeline for over a year - so had plenty of time to prepare, and make appropriate changes
  • edited September 2014
    The problem for the Asian books like Pinny and SBO is that they'd have to reveal ownership on top of the fact that they run to very low margins in order to deliver competitive prices and low over rounds.

As mentioned above it's highly unlikely that major companies will do anything other than pass the costs onto the punters. The rich can only get richer of course ;/

Big loss for punters though as these books are highly regarded for the most part. Back to the pseudo bookmakers of the UK with their spinless account restrictions and FOBTs :'((((

Well done the Tories - another well though out money grab!!!!!!