You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Negative thread bandwagon

edited September 2014 in Poker Chat
I read the community pages like my second newspaper. Always enjoy reading the diaries, seeing what hand analysis is going on and the random light hearted posts.
However, of late I have noticed an increase in the negative threads or threads that have turned negative or turned into a battle of the keyboard warriors.
May be wrong direction to go but should forum regulars (myself included) just moth ball these posts and not join in? As a fairly novice player / poster, when I see big names posting and getting involved heavily it seems to attract more comments and the thread  keeps getting bumped up, causing more hits and more negativity?!
I appreciate we can not have slander etc go un resolved, but maybe a report button where if it's mince or negative for the site or players it's flagged up and closed down. I understand is red tape to go through to remove posts, but I am sure majority of people on here prefer to improve their game and enjoy the benefits the community has to offer rather than read general bad mouthing and pointless untrue and derogatory threds.
If nothing can be done in terms of closing down more frequently (do understand why this is not done often)should the responsibility be on us as reg forum members to simply ignore and note bite back? It seems the new breed of negativity thrives of people defending their values and gives them airtime?

Run good or bad be happy :) 

Comments

• edited September 2014

Very interesting post, Nuggy.

Ignore them, I'd say, the vast majority of us come here to enjoy ourselves, have some fun-time, not get involved in all that personal backbiting.

It's quite a job to moderate it fairly & sensibly, but every effort is being made to try & keep this a fun place.

Essentially, the Community is the sum total of all who Post here. If we want to keep it, we all need to try & look after it, & keep the place civil.

Debate is abso fine, even if it is critical of the Business, we have enjoyed some great debates here. For some odd reason, these debates get a bit heated at times, & I'm not sure why. It's just a game of poker, it's hardly life & death.    
  • edited September 2014
    Let them drop off the bottom of the page naturally after a courteous reply from TommyD and moderator pals. Every forum on the net gets this twaddle.
  • edited September 2014

Ooh, note that word.

twaddle

I looked it up in the Oxford English Dictionary.

v or n, Orford twaddles, Orford talks a load of twaddle
  • edited September 2014
    Really good post Nuggy.
    I agree with you a large extent. I've got involved sometimes in these threads.
    I think when it's just a "Sky is rigged" kind of thread, then you're spot on and it's best just to ignore. I think it's a little different though when someone is targeted by trolls. I hate it when that happens and struggle not to make a comment.

Out of interest, what made you change so much? Your early posts weren't good in fairness. Now, you're making a great contribution to the forum. I'm just as curious as to why you started in the manner you did?
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Negative thread bandwagon:
    Really good post Nuggy. I agree with you a large extent. I've got involved sometimes in these threads. I think when it's just a "Sky is rigged" kind of thread, then you're spot on and it's best just to ignore. I think it's a little different though when someone is targeted by trolls. I hate it when that happens and struggle not to make a comment. Out of interest, what made you change so much? Your early posts weren't good in fairness. Now, you're making a great contribution to the forum. I'm just as curious as to why you started in the manner you did?
    Posted by Jac35
    I think someone gave him a nudge in the right direction ;)
  • edited September 2014
    Nothin' wrong with a good, fiery debate, Nuggy - I've had a couple here ;)

But to the greater point: you're right. Some people just need to chillax a little.
  • edited September 2014
    NO!!!--- You are all wrong I tell you!!----- Nothing positive can come of a positive thread about negative threads, because a negative person will always come along and say something like NO!! -- you are all wrong I tell you!!!