You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Went quite deep in the open last nite!!

thought i was gonna finally do it, got into 2nd place with 45 to go but somehow get carried away with me big stack n loose the plot. any advice playing a big stack                                                                                        

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Unlucky mate. Sounds like you played a solid game!

Im probably not the best person to get advice from when holding onto a big stack because I am exactly the same...I do the hard work of getting a decent size but then do get extremely loose with my play which I then find myself getting caught in hands which I shouldn't.

I would just suggest to play as much position when possible...I find when I have done well in tournaments it due to me using my stack to my advantage when in certain positions.

Play premium hands...your big PPairs, your AK/Q/J and show aggression with your high suited connectors when in the right position.

If I miss the flop and Im too act first, I try not to lead out again with another bet...if It means showing weakness on that occasion then so be it but I don't want to stick lets say 7k into a 20k pot and then be flat called/re-raised.

Carry on doing what you do mate and no doubt you'll get that victory soon! (Im still waiting for it!!)
  • edited January 2010
    thanks for the advice i probably am to loose n i do like suited connecters. i did win the velocity more to luck i think.      michael
  • edited January 2010
    Hi

You need controlled aggression, by that I mean, what are the table dynamics, who can you get off a hand by a decent raise depending on the size of the blinds how much you raise? maybe the mid stacks? use position, beware, the shortstacks will call light.
  • edited January 2010
    Well done ............. I went quite deep too, I lasted over 30 minutes

Target the mid stacks rather than the small stacks.  Controlled aggression is right but you need to loosen up as you get nearer the finishing line. H2H raise with any J or above.