You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

middle pairs on low boardsdo i make the call or could i fold (no notes)

edited September 2014 in The Poker Clinic
without notes on a player is this too much to ask?
what it does get me questioning it is would an AK want to cbet these flops,the pocket pairs i'm usually beating will have hit sets, the other pairs are probably beating me.

if i had KQ,AJ or the flush draw i will call a cbet but the KQ and AJ will be given up on turn.
does this allow valid reasonto call these and maybe i turn them into a bluff or do i just give up?
leski Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £15.18
craigcu12 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £16.10
  Your hole cards

wood45 Fold        
hibeelad Call   £0.20 £0.50 £43.13
riverjono Fold        
dubzs Fold        
leski Raise   £0.70 £1.20 £14.48
craigcu12 Call   £0.60 £1.80 £15.50
hibeelad Call   £0.60 £2.40 £42.53
Flop

leski Bet   £2.40 £4.80 £12.08
craigcu12 ?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    I reckon, on this board, facing a pot-sized bet, I'm probably giving up my sevens. There are very few good turn cards you could see.
  • edited September 2014
    If, for whatever reason, I decided I was calling with KQ and AJ I think I'd be continuing with the sevens also(I might have misunderstand what you were saying there though, not sure). Better board for sevens really. Why would you prefer to float with just two overs rather than an over pair plus straight draw. If you're behind you have six outs to improve either way, you're outs with sevens though are a lot more likely to be good than with the KQ/AJ. Plus sometimes you'll be able to show down/ value bet? your sevens, a lot stronger than Ace or King high.
  • edited September 2014
    If you're gonna call with 77 and see this flop, don't see how we can fold to a single c-bet.
  • edited September 2014
    First comment would be why aren't you sat with 100xBB? Big leak right there.

I think we have to call at least 1 on this flop
  • edited September 2014
    Call Craig on the Flop

At Paul - we are sitting with 80 big blinds on one table - hardly a leak!

• edited September 2014
    I am not sure whether you need to worry about you would do if you had a different hand? If I had xx I would call? You have 77! An overpair and a gutshot - flops dont come much better for 77.

Picking up on Lamberts point on earlier hands...

You should be thinking about your opponents holding. What range are you putting SB raiser on?

A c/b with complete air is unlikely (without notes) on a 3 way flop.

I would put opponent on an overpair, trips, any Axs or A+3456, 44, factor in high card combos like KQ especially suited and I think you have more than enough value to stay in the hand.

I would consider a reraise here, to try and lose the player behind who could have a drawing hand and get heads up versus that range of hands or take a pot down with a small pair - no bad thing.

If you are behind you have live outs with a chance of stacking opponent. You may well be ahead but vulnerable and so protect your hand. You are also sending a message to opponent that you are not a pushover on a c/bet which is no bad thing. 

• edited September 2014
    If you raise, you're gonna have to call it off and we won't be in great shape in that instance.

Calling and playing the aggressor in position is far the best play.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: middle pairs on low boardsdo i make the call or could i fold (no notes):
    If you raise, you're gonna have to call it off and we won't be in great shape in that instance. Calling and playing the aggressor in position is far the best play.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Fair point H and I would agree if already heads up.

My main reason to consider a raise was to avoid pricing in the player yet to act.

Does that not change the situation?

• edited September 2014
    i choose to call the flop but i did give up on the turn, it really shouldn't have been that hard to make really. taking into account what lambert said about my stack, either i'm not fully up for the game or i had too many tables up.
    hand history showed he had limps pre, bottom pairs getting min bet, strong hands he chased were being min raised post flop. basically all the stuff of a passive player so this sort of aggression i should be always folding.
    eski Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £15.18
    craigcu12 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £16.10
      Your hole cards

wood45 Fold        
    hibeelad Call   £0.20 £0.50 £43.13
    riverjono Fold        
    dubzs Fold        
    leski Raise   £0.70 £1.20 £14.48
    craigcu12 Call   £0.60 £1.80 £15.50
    hibeelad Call   £0.60 £2.40 £42.53
    Flop

leski Bet   £2.40 £4.80 £12.08
    craigcu12 Call   £2.40 £7.20 £13.10
    hibeelad Fold        
    Turn

leski Bet   £5.40 £12.60 £6.68
    craigcu12 Fold        
    leski Muck        
    leski Win   £6.84   £13.52
    leski Return   £5.40 £0.36 £18.92
  • edited September 2014
    That's what I was indicating. Even though it's a good flop for us, then we get a turn card like we did here, the next bet comes, and we kinda have to let it go. It smells like an overpair.
  • edited September 2014
    Yeh turn fold is fine imo. Each street is it's own individual decision, just because you have to fold some turns, doesn't mean calling the flop is bad.
  • edited September 2014
    WP. Folding flop wouldn't be terrible given we are facing a pot bet and we don't have much behind but calling seems fine too.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: middle pairs on low boardsdo i make the call or could i fold (no notes):
    That's what I was indicating. Even though it's a good flop for us, then we get a turn card like we did here, the next bet comes, and we kinda have to let it go. It smells like an overpair.
    Posted by Slipwater
    It's cash though, so we can just reload. The hand on a whole looks WP to me.

Phantom, not too bothered about ''pricing in'' the other guy. He's only limp called, so chances are he's whiffed this flop or actually has a piece of it but is behind 77. If anything, keeping him in might not be a bad thing, should we hit that gin turn card.
  • edited September 2014
    can only fold flop if u have reads on player and seen hands from him at showdown previously