You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Attacking the wrong stack

edited September 2014 in Poker Chat
Hi guys ive recently come across from Stars and Tilt and have to say that the change to the 6 max table took a little getting used to but on the whole i find the "atmosphere" more pleasent however i do have 1 gripe that i wonder whether others have come across.

During the bubble of sngs the big stack / stacks continually try and bully the medium stacks and yet the minute the s.s. shoves they fold sometimes for less than a full raise. This does 2 things neither of which help with the speed of the game firstly it stops the two shortest stacks getting it in and secondly it puts the middle stacks on fold mode when they frequently have a decent holding. 

Whilst i understand that the aim is to win all the chips big stacks have to still be selective, after all its a pig when u chip leaders raise it 3bb utg with the short stacks still to act only to face an all in 4 bet from a medium stack in middle position.

yours in poker.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Hi Edge.

Welcome and glad you like the site.

I remember struggling with adjusting to 6 max - I think I probably over adjusted to start with and widened my ranges a little too much. Better to keep it tight at first.

Big stack putting pressure on medium stacks on a SNG bubble - Optimal play I am afraid - Unless in a DYM when you can argue if really big then you shouldn't be involved at all.

If I am a big stack and s/stack shoves I will call wide in a SNG - Harrington recommends a2c if it costs you less than 10% of your stack. A dym I will call tighter - no real need to get involved and want to have decent odds to bust opponent.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Attacking the wrong stack:
    Hi guys ive recently come across from Stars and Tilt and have to say that the change to the 6 max table took a little getting used to but on the whole i find the "atmosphere" more pleasent however i do have 1 gripe that i wonder whether others have come across. During the bubble of sngs the big stack / stacks continually try and bully the medium stacks and yet the minute the s.s. shoves they fold sometimes for less than a full raise. This does 2 things neither of which help with the speed of the game firstly it stops the two shortest stacks getting it in and secondly it puts the middle stacks on fold mode when they frequently have a decent holding.  Whilst i understand that the aim is to win all the chips big stacks have to still be selective, after all its a pig when u chip leaders raise it 3bb utg with the short stacks still to act only to face an all in 4 bet from a medium stack in middle position. yours in poker.
    Posted by TheEdge949
    Hi Edge, thanks for the kind words.

In 6-Max DYM's people play them all sorts of different ways, & we have no right to stop them or complain, it's their money. It's up to U2 find a way to combat their style.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Attacking the wrong stack:
    Whilst i understand that the aim is to win all the chips big stacks have to still be selective
    Posted by TheEdge949
    Hi Edge, I assume you're referring to sngs and not dyms on the basis of the quote above?  If so then it's actually a very good strategy for the big stack to keep the bubble alive (this goes for dyms as well although it has far more risk) as whilst the big stack keeps the bubble alive he/she is increasing their stack even further thus giving them a far greater chance of finishing 1st.  With the payouts (top 2) 65% 35% this is a very profitable play.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Attacking the wrong stack:
    In Response to Attacking the wrong stack : Hi Edge, thanks for the kind words. In 6-Max DYM's people play them all sorts of different ways, & we have no right to stop them or complain, it's their money. It's up to U2 find a way to combat their style.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    10/10 for that one Tikay
  • edited September 2014
    If its a DYM and I have the big stack I want as many short stacks as possible so would be targeting the medium stacks and putting them under maximum pressure as they shouldn't be going broke when there are shorter stacks about. As DoubleAAA said a longer bubble is good as the big stack assuming we put maximum pressure on the other stacks. Albeit, without exact stack sizes this analysis may be wrong.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Attacking the wrong stack : Hi Edge, I assume you're referring to sngs and not dyms on the basis of the quote above?  If so then it's actually a very good strategy for the big stack to keep the bubble alive (this goes for dyms as well although it has far more risk) as whilst the big stack keeps the bubble alive he/she is increasing their stack even further thus giving them a far greater chance of finishing 1st.  With the payouts (top 2) 65% 35% this is a very profitable play.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    ....is CORRECTAMONDO.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Attacking the wrong stack : 10/10 for that one Tikay
    Posted by dragon1964
    BOOM!

I was SO hoping someone would spot that. And if Daggy reads the thread, nope, did not have to use google this time.

You've made my day. Move over Edge, Hewson next?......

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Attacking the wrong stack : BOOM! I was SO hoping someone would spot that. And if Daggy reads the thread, nope, did not have to use google this time. You've made my day. Move over Edge, Hewson next?......  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Epic. I'm just Mullen over a better reply
  • edited September 2014
    Not a lot of people realise that half of U2 are in the famous Jesus: Last Supper painting.

Obviously you've got the main man himself in the middle, but look to the right of him towards the side. There you see Bono, sat on the edge.
  • edited September 2014
    Not a lot of people realise that half of U2 are in the famous Jesus: Last Supper painting. Obviously you've got the main man himself in the middle, but look to the right of him towards the side. There you see Bono, sat on the edge.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Very good, but I'm sure you are wrong. Pretty sure Bono thinks he IS Jesus.
  • edited September 2014
    Clayton was once arrested for dragging a cop by his arm whilst in his car then driving away thus dragging cop down the road.he pleaded guilty