You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Beating my tilt.

edited September 2014 in Poker Chat
Well firstly i gotta thank Jared Tendler and Barry Carter on thier book, The Mental Game Of Poker. With this tool i feel i have nearly conquered my highly charged tilts which nealy ruined my game.What a great read i would reccomend it to all.I havnt read two yet but have made great steps forward just with one. I can still explode now and then but compared to how i was theres a massive difference. Been waiting to win a tournament for ages and finaly made a final table the other night.Three of us left, 2 with 60,000 chips and one with 12,000. blinds 1 and 2ooo. I got aa and rased limper.7000. he calls. i hit my set and shoved . he called with 3 7 clubs only one club to board? yup runner runner im out.Ijust laughed went made a cup of tea and thought, i hope i play him again. ps i wasnt suprised later when i checked but small stack beat him lol.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Beating my tilt.:
    Well firstly i gotta thank Jared Tendler and Barry Carter on thier book, The Mental Game Of Poker. With this tool i feel i have nearly conquered my highly charged tilts which nealy ruined my game.What a great read i would reccomend it to all.I havnt read two yet but have made great steps forward just with one. I can still explode now and then but compared to how i was theres a massive difference. Been waiting to win a tournament for ages and finaly made a final table the other night.Three of us left, 2 with 60,000 chips and one with 12,000. blinds 1 and 2ooo. I got aa and rased limper.7000. he calls. i hit my set and shoved . he called with 3 7 clubs only one club to board? yup runner runner im out.Ijust laughed went made a cup of tea and thought, i hope i play him again. ps i wasnt suprised later when i checked but small stack beat him lol.
    Posted by matrixxs
    Why? Are you not making him fold the majority of the time there? Either way nice one on the tilt avoidance. I thought the programme was great and I'm going to buy those books myself.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Beating my tilt.:
    In Response to Beating my tilt. : Why? Are you not making him fold the majority of the time there? Either way nice one on the tilt avoidance. I thought the programme was great and I'm going to buy those books myself.
    Posted by The_Hux
    Hi there, Barry from the show here. 

That is awesome that you managed to look at a bad beat like that in a positive way. I myself noticed that after I started making progress, this too was my intuitive reaction.

Obviously this is a significantly better reaction than going on tilt, but be careful. As Jared pointed out to me when I told him the same thing, the laughing might actually be a way of blocking out your feelings and you still may not be confronting the root causes of tilt. I'd really pay attention and make notes about how you feel in situations like this and see if there is any hidden frustration still there under the surface. The danger here is that if you continue to block the tilt by laughing at it (what I believe is called gallowes humour in the world of psychology) you might be setting yourself up to go on full blown monkey tilt again in the future. 

But that is a 'might', you've obviously made some massive progress which needs to be commended. Just consider this as potential extra credit homework. :)