You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Winning to losing

edited September 2014 in Poker Chat
I've gone from winning quite often and making a slow profit, to the point where I've lost £40 this month. I'm a new player and was wondering what I've done wrong / what's happened and how to fix it?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Winning to losing:
    I've gone from winning quite often and making a slow profit, to the point where I've lost £40 this month. I'm a new player and was wondering what I've done wrong / what's happened and how to fix it?
    Posted by Jreece18
    Happens to the best of them mate.

Post a few hands in the clinic for some good advice.

GL
  • edited September 2014
    oh to spend a month losing £40

seriously though sounds like normal variance. Would need a lot more info about what games you play etc to come up with anything more helpful.

ps welcome to the firm
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Winning to losing:
    oh to spend a month losing £40 seriously though sounds like normal variance. Would need a lot more info about what games you play etc to come up with anything more helpful. ps welcome to the firm
    Posted by GELDY
    Playing mostly dym's 1.15 - 3.30 and 2p/4p cash games no limit
  • edited September 2014
    nowt wrong in sending £40 a month tbh    as greg raymer said  poker is entertainment for instance if u go out with freinds have a few drinks etc ya gonna spend £40 on the night out

But u have spent that on a whole month a months entertainment for £40 not bad id say   if u want to improve as a player look at the poker clinic hands post some hands etc and u will get some good advice best of luck to u
  • edited September 2014
    nowt wrong in sending £40 a month tbh    as greg raymer said  poker is entertainment for instance if u go out with freinds have a few drinks etc ya gonna spend £40 on the night out But u have spent that on a whole month a months entertainment for £40 not bad id say   if u want to improve as a player look at the poker clinic hands post some hands etc and u will get some good advice best of luck to u
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Pole dancers must be cheap where you are, Donk. That's the price at the door in Aberdeen.

Good luck, Reece. Variance sucks, eh?
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Winning to losing : Playing mostly dym's 1.15 - 3.30 and 2p/4p cash games no limit
    Posted by Jreece18
    I had 2 losing days back to back last week playing £3 & £2 dym's... lost £30 & £14
    but am still up over £35+ this month so far.

you've done nothing wrong...it's variance kicking in.
    What can you do about it? nothing playing the levels you are playing.
    the only way you could slow it down would be to drop down to the £1 dym's, but then you wouldn't win as much either.
    you just have to get used to it i'm afraid.
    I now go by how much i win each month, rather than individual sessions,(well most of the time anyway, obviously the three i have just mentioned are extremes, & don't happen every day), which helps when you do have losing sessions, because if you know that at the end of the month you are probably going to be in profit, then all is good & the losing sessions simply don't matter so much, as the winning ones hopefully outweigh those losing ones.
    hope that helps a little anyway.
    gl dev

• edited September 2014

Losing £40 a month = winning.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Winning to losing : Pole dancers must be cheap where you are, Donk. That's the price at the door in Aberdeen. Good luck, Reece. Variance sucks, eh?
    Posted by Slipwater

intrigued as to where to go slip.  Bored of Private eyes in dundee :)

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Winning to losing : intrigued as to where to go slip.  Bored of Private eyes in dundee :)
    Posted by mewillows
    I, ahem, was joking of course...

...but I have it on good authority that Number 7 is very nice ;)