You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

total player

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi all yesterday i was selected as one of the 10 to feature on total player but i did not make it to top 3. I submitted my hands for the mentors to analyse but i was a little disappointed at the way Ed Giddins portrayed the way i played. Maybe my description of how i played the hand was not detailed enough so what's your opinion,

Got 77 so i  raise pre flop, i raise big as i do most of the time when i have a pair in the hand, i do this for 2 reasons, 1. In my opinion you are already ahead when dealt a pair, and  2. If the whole table fold well then i have made the blinds. As Ed said on the show last night, winning a small pot is better than loosing a large amount of your stack if you don't get the draw you need.
Anyway i get 1 caller and the flop comes 7 10 2. i've hit trips and the only thing that can beat me at the moment is if the other player has 10 10. I place a bet, much smaller than my initial raise, i want the other player to call and stay in the pot and by reducing my bet i hoping the other player will think maybe i did'nt get the cards i wanted. She calls without hesitation, i think at the point ed said alarm bells should be ringing but like i said im still in top position as far as im concerned. The turn comes a J so again unless she has 10 10 or J J in her hand im in front. i raise my bet slightly and im called again. I think at this point Ed said the was i played the flop and turn with betting was good but that i had played it that was without realising, i had realised exactly what i was doing, i knew the other players style well as we had been in heads up a lot through the tourny. So any how the river comes another J so i raise my bet again to which the other player goes all in, now ok she could have had a bigger full house than me but would i not have seen a re raise when she hit 2 pair or a re raise when she hit trips with either 10's or indeed with J's which would now give her 4 of a kind. Any way i call her all in bet because like i said oi knew this player and her style through the game had been check call, check call, all in and i was sure i was just being bluffed of the pot. I win with 7's over J's and if my memory serves me she had A3.
Now i don't know if any of you saw the show last night but i dont think my play was represented fairly in fact to me it looked like he thought i had no clue what i was doing  lol lol.
Am i being daft or did i deserve a better analysis on that hand?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    I didnt watch the show.  When he said alarm bells should be ringing, I cant imagine that he thought you should think that you were ever behind on this flop.  However, if it was me, I would not like that turn card much.  89 just made the straight.  The river fills you up and although the bigger house is possible, I would not consider folding.

Sounds like you had a raw deal, but as I said I didnt watch it
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to total player:
    Yeah, he was a bit critical. You have to write ong and detailed expanations or the analysts assume you are just guessing.
  • edited January 2010
    just watched this

to be honest i thought you did very very well to get the opponent to shove all his chips in with a high on that board

your bet sizing throughout was ust about perfect and you left enough at the end to entice the all in shove.

well played imo
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: total player:
    In Response to total player : Yeah, he was a bit critical. You have to write ong and detailed expanations or the analysts assume you are just guessing.
    Posted by Seagull158
    Thanks guys, obviously i dont want to be accused of being petty or being bitter at not getting picked just thought the hand showed deserved a little more credit than it was given, the players picked are probably far better players than me and probably deserved the place in the top 3 more than me so fair play and congrats to them
  • edited January 2010
    They just showed the hand on a repeat show.

Ed seemed to be pretty positive about your bet sizes, and yes maybe he didn't give you credit for your river betsize. The key when sending hands in is you need to put a lengthy analysis about your hand and what your thinking at every point. If you said you were hoping to induce the shove on the river he would understand it.

I think the reason Ed said you played it "Ok" instead of really well, was simply because you had a full house. It kicked off a bit last week because all the low staked players sent in hands where they flopped the nuts vs 2nd nuts which takes no skill to get the money in. If in your analysis you said, "This is a hand where I hit it really strong but this is representing my betting skills rather than my reading the other player and managed to get my oppo all in with A high vs a fullhouse."
  • edited January 2010
    one of the most important skills though is getting paid when you hit such a big hand

the two underbets post flop were perfect and he did mention the opponent had it in him to call very light and then all in bluff

• edited January 2010
    They just showed the hand on a repeat show. Ed seemed to be pretty positive about your bet sizes, and yes maybe he didn't give you credit for your river betsize. The key when sending hands in is you need to put a lengthy analysis about your hand and what your thinking at every point. If you said you were hoping to induce the shove on the river he would understand it. I think the reason Ed said you played it "Ok" instead of really well, was simply because you had a full house. It kicked off a bit last week because all the low staked players sent in hands where they flopped the nuts vs 2nd nuts which takes no skill to get the money in. If in your analysis you said, "This is a hand where I hit it really strong but this is representing my betting skills rather than my reading the other player and managed to get my oppo all in with A high vs a fullhouse."
    Posted by FlashFlush
    to be fair flash on the e-mail they sent out it says and i quote "where appropriate,you may wish to add explanatory notes to the hands"this dosent sound to me that you have to explain what you are thinking at every point of the hand.you are right though if you want to be serious about this comp then you you would have to explain every thought process.i think alot of the lower stakes players like me dont think like the better players i mean i sent a couple of hands in with no explantion,also im that thick i couldnt attach the docu that come with it to the reply i dont know if they even got my reply.
    i say leave this comp to the good players and good luck to them all
  • edited January 2010
    If you were asked to send hands in that makes you one of the good players.
    Congratulations on that and better luck if the opportunity comes again.
  • edited January 2010
    If you were asked to send hands in that makes you one of the good players. Congratulations on that and better luck if the opportunity comes again.
    Posted by MereNovice
    perhaps its a confidence thing with me m8,also im not very good at explaning things
  • edited January 2010
    Hi all yesterday i was selected as one of the 10 to feature on total player but i did not make it to top 3. I submitted my hands for the mentors to analyse but i was a little disappointed at the way Ed Giddins portrayed the way i played. Maybe my description of how i played the hand was not detailed enough so what's your opinion,
    Got 77 so i  raise pre flop, i raise big as i do most of the time when i have a pair in the hand, i do this for 2 reasons, 1. In my opinion you are already ahead when dealt a pair, and  2. If the whole table fold well then i have made the blinds.
    No disrespect mate, but I couldn't get past this bit. What position were you in? What were the blinds? How big was your stack? Have you been stealing a lot? What's your image?

Usually with 77, you're either a small favourite or a massive dog. There are often better times to raise it up.
    (And I say this as someone who's played with you and respects your game a lot.
     PS: I've never made the last 50 in Ed's lists, never mind the top 10!)

• edited January 2010

Walshy, you obviously played the hand fine, and anyone who watched could see that.

Didn't think Ed was particularly critical of you, but throughout the show he was challenging the plays made on hands shown - even from the guys he eventually picked.

Hope you get another chance - good luck if you do.

• edited January 2010
    Hi all yesterday i was selected as one of the 10 to feature on total player but i did not make it to top 3. I submitted my hands for the mentors to analyse but i was a little disappointed at the way Ed Giddins portrayed the way i played. Maybe my description of how i played the hand was not detailed enough so what's your opinion, Got 77 so i  raise pre flop, i raise big as i do most of the time when i have a pair in the hand, i do this for 2 reasons, 1. In my opinion you are already ahead when dealt a pair, and  2. If the whole table fold well then i have made the blinds. As Ed said on the show last night, winning a small pot is better than loosing a large amount of your stack if you don't get the draw you need. Anyway i get 1 caller and the flop comes 7 10 2. i've hit trips and the only thing that can beat me at the moment is if the other player has 10 10. I place a bet, much smaller than my initial raise, i want the other player to call and stay in the pot and by reducing my bet i hoping the other player will think maybe i did'nt get the cards i wanted. She calls without hesitation, i think at the point ed said alarm bells should be ringing but like i said im still in top position as far as im concerned. The turn comes a J so again unless she has 10 10 or J J in her hand im in front. i raise my bet slightly and im called again. I think at this point Ed said the was i played the flop and turn with betting was good but that i had played it that was without realising, i had realised exactly what i was doing, i knew the other players style well as we had been in heads up a lot through the tourny. So any how the river comes another J so i raise my bet again to which the other player goes all in, now ok she could have had a bigger full house than me but would i not have seen a re raise when she hit 2 pair or a re raise when she hit trips with either 10's or indeed with J's which would now give her 4 of a kind. Any way i call her all in bet because like i said oi knew this player and her style through the game had been check call, check call, all in and i was sure i was just being bluffed of the pot. I win with 7's over J's and if my memory serves me she had A3. Now i don't know if any of you saw the show last night but i dont think my play was represented fairly in fact to me it looked like he thought i had no clue what i was doing  lol lol. Am i being daft or did i deserve a better analysis on that hand?
    Posted by walshysg10
    Although i am not the best player my opinion is this. I never raise with a small pair but would have probably shoved heavily on the flop and turn. I then would have panicked a bit at the all in stage and still called because i would have thought they were bluffing. Thing is i have done this before and rarely go all in if i dont know for a fact that i have won and indeed i have been knocked out and kicked myself in this exact situation. This instance is always a problem to me because to play you have to protect your chips but at the same time take everyone elses. What i am trying to spit out is i am half player and half gambler. Perhaps ed thought you were being too much of a gambler. I wish i knew what the balance between the 2 should be but i dont. Iwould have definately called but what if ............. thats the gamble.
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Walshy,

I don't think Ed was being critical of you, the hand was nice and you played it well. You must have done well to make the top 10 and that is a great achievement but in my opinion to make the top 3 you have to show yourself off and make an impression.

Obviously it is easy for me to say as one of the players picked, but I tried to send in hands where it showed me thinking as a player and making a good move that most other players would not think of doing. I never even thought of sending in a hand where I flopped the nuts or in your case a set.

In my opinion it is easy to play these hands, you cannot be worried about a higher set and perhaps on the turn the fact he might have 89 is in the back of your mind - but you're still calling with your set. Yes you read your opponent and played well - but if someone else was playing the hand would the outcome have been much different? The hand was good - but not spectacular and that's probably why Ed wasn't too excited about it.

Anyway keep going - I am sure you will get another chance.
    Nick.
  • edited January 2010

Hi Walshy, I don't think Ed was being critical of you, the hand was nice and you played it well. You must have done well to make the top 10 and that is a great achievement but in my opinion to make the top 3 you have to show yourself off and make an impression. Obviously it is easy for me to say as one of the players picked, but I tried to send in hands where it showed me thinking as a player and making a good move that most other players would not think of doing. I never even thought of sending in a hand where I flopped the nuts or in your case a set. In my opinion it is easy to play these hands, you cannot be worried about a higher set and perhaps on the turn the fact he might have 89 is in the back of your mind - but you're still calling with your set. Yes you read your opponent and played well - but if someone else was playing the hand would the outcome have been much different? The hand was good - but not spectacular and that's probably why Ed wasn't too excited about it. Anyway keep going - I am sure you will get another chance. Nick.
    Posted by pryce6

As i said i will never claim to be a great poker i just wanted the general opinion on the hand shown. All your points ae fair and i will take them on board should i ever get a similar opportunity. Many congrats again on being picked.
  • edited January 2010
    i was considered for total player sent my hands in ,,got a mention on the show that i had just missed out,,ok,
    i was put forward as a nominee from the low level section ,,now i might be wrong but dooohhh  and sharksbyte got through from the low level players,,i might be wrong but im sure 2 play higher stakes mostly which for me is a little disapointing