You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New UK Gaming Regulations - Idea for Sky

edited October 2014 in Poker Chat
I've just been discussing this with a few mates on FB and it seems to be a complete no-brainer to do it, but I'm sure there are lots of things to think about that we've overlooked so maybe it's not so cut and dry.

The new ruling means Sky will have to pay 15% tax on all gross rake (BEFORE rakeback). Sky haven't discussed their future plans regarding this afaik but you would assume they would like to recoup at least some of this 'loss'... whether it be by reducing the budget for promotions, increasing rake or, the most likely candidate imo, reducing Sky Rewards...

So.... Why don't Sky completely do away with RB, and lower the rake by say 20-30% ?

It would mean that players are no worse off than the current system but Sky would be paying 15% tax on a figure which is now 20-30% smaller than it was. They've lost nothing because what they reduce the rake by is recouped by not paying out any RB at all.

To use me as an example... (under the 20% idea)

Say under the current system, I play cash all month, and pay £2000 in rake. At 6 points per £1 that puts me at 12,000 points so 20% RB, so I'd get £400. Sky would pay 15% of £2000 which = £300

Now under the proposed system, I play cash all month, exact same volume but the rake is 20% lower and as a result I only pay Sky £1600 in rake. I don't get any RB at all, but my overall end result is identical. The only difference is Sky pay 15% tax on £1600 instead which = £240

Multiply that by the number of players on the site and it's a large saving when no-one loses out.

The reason I mentioned 20 or 30% is because obviously it does make a difference to people who currently earn 20,000+ points if it's only reduced by 20%. Maybe Sky could go with the 30% idea so while they are taking a hit on the players that earn <30,000 points, that's probably not as big a hit as if they had to pay 15% tax on a much larger amount of total rake.

It's not necessarily a potential USP for the site, but it can't be seen as negative really and it would certainly be another unique attribute of the site. Sure, a rec is never going to sign up to a site because their rake is lower (most don't even think about rake), but equally are they really gonna sign up because they can earn <£5 per month in RB, I don't think so. So it shouldn't have a detrimental affect on new player sign ups.

Games should get better

Certain games which were previously unbeatable due to rake may now become beatable.

Winrates should go up all round.

Any flaws/thoughts?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Sounds all good and well for the players that are making profit without rake back. What about the players that break even and use RB as profit, or the players that lose and RB brings them even or even the players that are depositors. OK I get their money will last longer because the rake isn't as high. But will it actually? For example poor play, and poor decisions will still cause them to lose their money, not the rake. Players like this need an incentive to come back to the site after losing their money. The rake back does this. They get that little text or email saying come back you have money in your account. This gives them another taster of Skypoker and that return visit may encourage them to deposit after their £5 rake back has also gone.

Just my opinion, I may be way off. Personally though, I like to see rake back come into my account and would choose it over less rake, and I only get about £10 rake back these days! Just nice to see that little widget go up! (oooeerrr)
  • edited September 2014
    And what would tikay do without his 3000 point target for the month. 
    So nice idea but losing rakeback would seem to remove a big inventive for peeps to play more. 
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: New UK Gaming Regulations - Idea for Sky:
    Sounds all good and well for the players that are making profit without rake back. What about the players that break even and use RB as profit, or the players that lose and RB brings them even or even the players that are depositors. OK I get their money will last longer because the rake isn't as high. But will it actually? For example poor play, and poor decisions will still cause them to lose their money, not the rake. Players like this need an incentive to come back to the site after losing their money. The rake back does this. They get that little text or email saying come back you have money in your account. This gives them another taster of Skypoker and that return visit may encourage them to deposit after their £5 rake back has also gone. Just my opinion, I may be way off. Personally though, I like to see rake back come into my account and would choose it over less rake, and I only get about £10 rake back these days! Just nice to see that little widget go up! (oooeerrr)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    It makes zero difference. It's essentially like getting their RB daily instead of getting one lump sum at the end of the month.

If someone is a losing player but RB makes them break even, then under the proposed system it would be exactly the same cos instead of them losing £10 everyday for 10 days of the month, then getting £100 back at the end, they'd just be breaking even everyday or w/e. Obv if never works out exactly like that, but overall they'd be no better or worse off.

Their RB disappears but their winrate increases in line with that. Even if that's a case of improving their 'loss-rate'. Losing players will still have a better win rate even if it's still a negative winrate.

The only way it would be different is mentally, and that's fair enough, that might be a big enough deal for it not to be a go-er for Sky.

Like for me, when I sit down each session, I know the amount of points I earn are gonig to equal abuot £20-£30... under the new system I wouldn't get anything at the end of the month, but every session result would be £20-30 better than it was under the current system (long term obv).

There is the incentive to play thing, but that is just a mental thing really cos that feeling of thinking 'I'll play X tonight and that means £10 RB at the end of the month', well playing that same X tonight still = £10 it's just gonna be on that night's results.
  • edited September 2014
    I think you'll find you're in a very very small % of the player base that has that line of thinking. The vast majority are purely thinking of profit there and then, not long term and the fact they are guaranteed to get some back at the end of the month is a great bonus. It's a mentality thing like you said. The most cost effective way is not always the best way. Good luck to the person that tells everyone they're rake back is being cancelled that's all I'll say. lol

FWIW I do get what you're saying and you do have a point, but I think on face value it would be a terrible move for publicity.
  • edited September 2014
    The thing about enticing people back who have nothing in their account but then get £5 is a good point though, they'd lose that
  • edited September 2014
    A load of poker players sitting round and coming up with tips for a multi-billion pound corporation to reduce its tax liability is LOL-arious!

Get back to the grind Paul!
  • edited September 2014
    It sounds very sensible... would imagine the suits are toying with this sort of approach as everyone likes paying less tax (I think?)

Didn't realise the tax was based on rake as opposed to profit... I guess that can only really hit the players at the end of the day then, either via increased rake or (at best) reduced promos. It seems unlikely that big business would want to see major profit reductions?
  • edited September 2014
    A load of poker players sitting round and coming up with tips for a multi-billion pound corporation to reduce its tax liability is LOL-arious! Get back to the grind Paul!
    Posted by bbMike
    Lol
  • edited September 2014

I thought lambo did work for sky anyway?  ;)

Just tax the poker pros. Job done.
  • edited September 2014
    What percentage is sky poker's turnover as a proportion of Sky Vegas and Sky Bet? 

Storm in a teacup imo.

Many companies loss lead to secure business in other areas that is profitable either in the short or long term. All you have to do is look at insurance companies business models to figure that out. If the impact of the new legislation has a big impact on sky bet/vegas you should then be worried about the viability of poker as an ongoing concern. Adjusting rakeback programs wont make hardly any difference to the bigger picture. 
  • edited September 2014
    Lambert, I'm pretty sure you've got the details wrong here

Their not required to pay 15% on gross, It's 15% on everything that they do not return as VIP stuff to players, it is a levy on the net charge not the gross charge.

My guess is that with your purposed system Sky would be much worse off. The majority of profit comes from 50nl and below where rake is higher as an overall percentage and players get less back through the VIP scheme. Giving everyone a 20-30% reduction in rake would probably bankrupt SkyPoker.
  • edited September 2014
    Sigh what a fail of epic proportions this has been.

Fwiw, this wasn't my idea, I'm blaming that evil penguin (who couldn't post himself for obvious reasons) and thought (thanks to a poker news site getting it wrong) that it was 15% of gross rake taken.

As its not, everything else is moot now. Gg thread
  • edited September 2014
    Sigh what a fail of epic proportions this has been. Fwiw, this wasn't my idea, I'm blaming that evil penguin (who couldn't post himself for obvious reasons) and thought (thanks to a poker news site getting it wrong) that it was 15% of gross rake taken. As its not, everything else is moot now. Gg thread
    Posted by Lambert180
    Sky poker turnover up to £10m and Sky Bet £100m plus? 

Don't go on dragons den, youll get roasted for missing the big issue and it isnt poker ;).
  • edited September 2014
    Sigh what a fail of epic proportions this has been. Fwiw, this wasn't my idea, I'm blaming that evil penguin (who couldn't post himself for obvious reasons) and thought (thanks to a poker news site getting it wrong) that it was 15% of gross rake taken. As its not, everything else is moot now. Gg thread
    Posted by Lambert180
    Like it Paul!

Take credit for idea if everyone agrees
    Blame Pingu if people don't agree 

;)
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: New UK Gaming Regulations - Idea for Sky : Sky poker turnover up to £10m and Sky Bet £100m plus?  Don't go on dragons den, youll get roasted for missing the big issue and it isnt poker ;).
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Surely that's irrelevant anyway.

That's like saying 'I can save £2000 a year on X insurance, therefore I won't bother saving £200 on my electricity bills even though I can'. If it's a big saving, then it's a big saving, regardless of if you can make bigger savings in other areas.

You think Sky have went, 'well we gotta pay 5mil tax on skybet, but it's only 1mil tax on sky poker, so who cares?'. Of course they're gonna wanna recoup from all areas.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: New UK Gaming Regulations - Idea for Sky : Like it Paul! Take credit for idea if everyone agrees Blame Pingu if people don't agree  ;)
    Posted by Jac35
    Plus blame pingu where he cant come on and defend himself!
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: New UK Gaming Regulations - Idea for Sky : Plus blame pingu where he cant come on and defend himself!
    Posted by MattBates
    He also said he likes to cross-dress.. but I dunno, he may wanna come on and dispute that.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: New UK Gaming Regulations - Idea for Sky : Surely that's irrelevant anyway. That's like saying 'I can save £2000 a year on X insurance, therefore I won't bother saving £200 on my electricity bills even though I can'. If it's a big saving, then it's a big saving, regardless of if you can make bigger savings in other areas. You think Sky have went, 'well we gotta pay 5mil tax on skybet, but it's only 1mil tax on sky poker, so who cares?'. Of course they're gonna wanna recoup from all areas.
    Posted by Lambert180

I've been facepalming soo much, there's is a divot in my head bit like those you'll see at gleneagles over the next few days.  
  • edited September 2014

Everything I have read the tax is after rakeback and it also includes other gambling

So if I pay say 1000 in rake and get 100 in rakeback then win 600 on blackjack. They only pay 15% on £300.

Can Sky clarify this?

• edited September 2014
    Everything I have read the tax is after rakeback and it also includes other gambling So if I pay say 1000 in rake and get 100 in rakeback then win 600 on blackjack. They only pay 15% on £300. Can Sky clarify this?
    Posted by ajs4385

Yeah this sounds right. The tax is on net profit, not gross.

• edited September 2014
    What attracts players to poker sites besides the love of poker,winning etc etc, rakeback is a important part of sites and im sure if sky was gonna do this{ the removal of rb} im sure they would of put something up by now,as they havn't then im sure it aint gonna happen,and if i remember right on your thread paul  u said something about joining a site for reasons of what they offered,if they never offered nothing would u have joined.
  • edited September 2014
    What attracts players to poker sites besides the love of poker,winning etc etc, rakeback is a important part of sites and im sure if sky was gonna do this{ the removal of rb} im sure they would of put something up by now,as they havn't then im sure it aint gonna happen,and if i remember right on your thread paul  u said something about joining a site for reasons of what they offered,if they never offered nothing would u have joined.
    Posted by CHILLIE

What Lambert was suggesting equated to the same reward to the player, actually it would of meant that lower stake players would of been better off, but there was some confusion and none of that matters anymore.

If sky really wants to attract more players they should make a lot more satellites into target tornies. What attracts recreational players to Pokerstars? Mostly the Sunday Million and the change to win 200k for a few dollars.

More satellites = bigger guarantees = more traffic.

And please stop raking satellites Sky, double tax on tornies is straight up BS! 

Satellites should be running every second of every day with much smaller buyins. 

• edited September 2014
    Everything I have read the tax is after rakeback and it also includes other gambling So if I pay say 1000 in rake and get 100 in rakeback then win 600 on blackjack. They only pay 15% on £300. Can Sky clarify this?
    Posted by ajs4385
    Hi Aiden,

I don't imagine they will say anything yet awhile, some of the legislative processes are currently under Legal appeal, but the whole thing has been on the table for a very long time, & all Online Gaming Sites, including SB&G, will have formulated their general policies & approach to it some time ago.

We have already seen 'Stars UK defer their changes from Oct 1st to November 1st, so announcing anything too early is probably not wise. 

Poker, here & elsewhere, will be just fine, life will go on as usual, & Online Poker will be a better place generally for Licencing & improved regulation.

How are your ferrets? Still got them? Can't imagine too many folk outside Yorkshire keep ferrets as pets......proper Yorkshire thing, that.
  • edited September 2014
    Hi Tikay,

I just read today they are delaying things.

Down to two ferrets, I lost a couple to cancer over past couple of years. They are very susceptible to it Im afraid. Apparently around 70% get cancer.

I would recommend any poker player get some ferrets and a good lurcher. When I am in middle of a downswing and have no money for food, I just go in woods and we eat like kings. I have largest lurcher they do, amazing athlete she holds her own play fighting against my Doberman and goes from 0-40 in 1 second.
  • edited September 2014
    To quote Leona Helmsley, "only the little people pay tax"

Thats Matt Bates knackered then
  • edited September 2014
    If sky really wants to attract more players they should make a lot more satellites into target tornies. What attracts recreational players to Pokerstars? Mostly the Sunday Million and the change to win 200k for a few dollars. More satellites = bigger guarantees = more traffic. And please stop raking satellites Sky, double tax on tornies is straight up BS!  Satellites should be running every second of every day with much smaller buyins. 
    Posted by dub1
    No point putting more satellites up if they don't attract the numbers. I'm sure sky want to increase the GTD's as much as you and I but you'll never be able to win 200k for a few dollars on sky in the near future - there just isn't anywhere near as much traffic to do that.

As for them stop raking satellites - that won't happen unless they make it so you can't play the satellites for cash. Right now you can register a tourney, play the satellite for that tourney and then take the cash. So sky want to charge rake on those players that do that since otherwise it makes it even more lucrative to play satellites for the cash. And you'll end up seeing even more people play the satellites for the cash. What this means is that those playing the satellites for what they're intended for will stand even less of a chance than they do now to qualify - and as such, sky won't have them increased numbers in the main event.

So yeah, if they instead create a satellite where you can't take the cash regardless if you're in the tournament already or not - then yes, they shouldn't charge rake on those satellites. But right now that's not the case.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: New UK Gaming Regulations - Idea for Sky : What Lambert was suggesting equated to the same reward to the player, actually it would of meant that lower stake players would of been better off, but there was some confusion and none of that matters anymore. If sky really wants to attract more players they should make a lot more satellites into target tornies. What attracts recreational players to Pokerstars? Mostly the Sunday Million and the change to win 200k for a few dollars. More satellites = bigger guarantees = more traffic. And please stop raking satellites Sky, double tax on tornies is straight up BS!  Satellites should be running every second of every day with much smaller buyins. 
    Posted by dub1
    I am not aware of a site that doesn't charge rake on sats.

Sky isn't and shouldn't be trying to compete against stars.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to New UK Gaming Regulations - Idea for Sky:
    I've just been discussing this with a few mates on FB and it seems to be a complete no-brainer to do it, but I'm sure there are lots of things to think about that we've overlooked so maybe it's not so cut and dry. The new ruling means Sky will have to pay 15% tax on all gross rake ( BEFORE rakeback). Sky haven't discussed their future plans regarding this afaik but you would assume they would like to recoup at least some of this 'loss'... whether it be by reducing the budget for promotions, increasing rake or, the most likely candidate imo, reducing Sky Rewards... So.... Why don't Sky completely do away with RB, and lower the rake by say 20-30% ? It would mean that players are no worse off than the current system but Sky would be paying 15% tax on a figure which is now 20-30% smaller than it was. They've lost nothing because what they reduce the rake by is recouped by not paying out any RB at all. To use me as an example... (under the 20% idea) Say under the current system, I play cash all month, and pay £2000 in rake. At 6 points per £1 that puts me at 12,000 points so 20% RB, so I'd get £400. Sky would pay 15% of £2000 which = £300 Now under the proposed system, I play cash all month, exact same volume but the rake is 20% lower and as a result I only pay Sky £1600 in rake. I don't get any RB at all, but my overall end result is identical. The only difference is Sky pay 15% tax on £1600 instead which = £240 Multiply that by the number of players on the site and it's a large saving when no-one loses out. The reason I mentioned 20 or 30% is because obviously it does make a difference to people who currently earn 20,000+ points if it's only reduced by 20%. Maybe Sky could go with the 30% idea so while they are taking a hit on the players that earn <30,000 points, that's probably not as big a hit as if they had to pay 15% tax on a much larger amount of total rake. It's not necessarily a potential USP for the site, but it can't be seen as negative really and it would certainly be another unique attribute of the site. Sure, a rec is never going to sign up to a site because their rake is lower (most don't even think about rake), but equally are they really gonna sign up because they can earn <£5 per month in RB, I don't think so. So it shouldn't have a detrimental affect on new player sign ups. Games should get better Certain games which were previously unbeatable due to rake may now become beatable. Winrates should go up all round. Any flaws/thoughts?
    Posted by Lambert180

How do you get this result? At 6 points per £1 that puts me at 12,000 points so 20% RB, so I'd get £400. 
    I reach 15k + points a month and 12k points at 20% is surely £240? Or am I working it out wrong?

• edited September 2014
    In Response to New UK Gaming Regulations - Idea for Sky : How do you get this result?  At 6 points per £1 that puts me at 12,000 points so 20% RB, so I'd get £400.  I reach 15k + points a month and 12k points at 20% is surely £240? Or am I working it out wrong?
    Posted by JimiAls1
    Depends on how you make your points....

12k points made solely on cash... 12,000 if you get 6 points per £1 = you paid £2000 rake. If you're between 10k and 19,999 points you get 20% RB... 20% of £2000 = £400

However...

12k points made solely on MTTs/SnG.... 12,000 when you get 10 points per £1 = you paid £1200 rake. Again 12k points = 20% RB and 20% of £1200 = £240.

Some will say 'ohhh cash players get more RB', but it's not, when you get over 10k points then it's a flat %, if cash players get more £££ back then that's cos they've paid more rake in the first place.
  • edited October 2014
    Out of interest, if the new regulations are aiming to reduce sites encouraging people to gamble too much (ie banning auto top-up), does that also mean that the current Punta Cana promo will be the last time Sky will be able to invoke a rake race... given that the whole premise is to encourage people to significantly increase how much they gamble (or any other volume-based promo that has been considered previously or in the future)?