You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why I love poker (part 932)

edited September 2014 in Poker Chat

I've seen it, watched it, read about it, even done a bit of it back in the day, players win enormous amounts of money playing poker sometimes.

We read about these high rollers every day, Brammer, Toby, Jake, Thewy, Dwan, Luke, bla bla bla. Pleased for all of them, yes, of course.

But the stories I like best these days are when the regular guys, Team Smallball, get a nice result - it means SO MUCH.

Yesterday, a chap who plays little £3 PLO8 DYM's with us somehow got freerolled into the £30,000 Roller. Think he used his points from the DYM's to enter some Freeroll, won it, da de da.

He never plays bigger than £3, & enjoys himself, so he was very nervous about taking on the Big Boys in a £110 entry, £30,000 Guarantee, Big Jobbie. 

He finished 20th for £278.

How good is that?

LOVE these stories.

His alias is "winshoes". 

Well done Andrew, chuffed to bits for you, that's made my Monday.

Comments

• edited September 2014

It gets better though.

With 48 players remaining, Mr winshoes was plum last, 48th of 48. he describes his tourney
    HERE, but here's the gist of it.....

Thanks for the congratulations Tikay.

Tournament report.

The secret of my success was that I throughout the whole evening I kept at least one £3 PL08 DYM playing at all times, to avoid the temptation to play too many hands in the main event.

I was 69th at the first break, and I risked half my stack with a pot sized on the river and my QQQ held to leave me on approx 16,500.

Dropped back to about 95th by the second break with a similar sized stack.

Managed a good third hour with 3 strong hands in a row and got up to 38,000 by the third break.

Got moved to a 5 handed table with three of the four chip leaders, and all were very aggro, and I found myself on around 25,000 chips in about 50th out of 58 remaining players, with the magical money bubble of 34th looking a long way off.

In the 5th hour everything went mental. Ten minutes in I was in last place out the remaining 48 on 34,000 and it was checked around to the sb who doubled my bb. For the first time i went all in, and I was gutted to see he had aj not suited v my a10 not suited. However, the flop of 10104 turned my frown upside down. Then on the hand for hand play I stayed out of trouble not playing a hand, and even managed to ladder up twice through big stacks going to war with one another.

So at 0150 I was £278 better off, and looking forward to getting back to the more familiar £3 PL08 DYM tables.

• edited September 2014

Abso LOVE these stories.

If you see or hear of any similar stories, please post them on the Community. Less moaning about everything, & more "happy days" tales has to be good.
  • edited September 2014
    was playing the £55 buy in Matt Bates Invitational the other night on my phone. went to check after a 3rd spade on the turn but my phone potted in instead for over half my stack. Oh well i thought but hey at least I'm repping the nut flush and I'll take down a nice put uncontested. That's why you can love poker as there's always a way to find a silver lining. 

(ps the repping failed as the villain actually had the nut flush. Which is why its such a love/hate relationship)

vwp winshoes
  • edited September 2014
    Big congrats Andrew
  • edited September 2014
  • edited September 2014
    I can't decide if he wants to win shoes or he wins hoes. Either way - mega result, congrats!

• edited September 2014

Congrats....lovely story!
  • edited September 2014
    Top result WP WP WP.

Just goes to show that PLO8 players are far better at 'the pokers' than most holdem players, we just don't play it much as we don't want to scare them. (An exception being Tikay, of course!)
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Why I love poker (part 932):
    Top result WP WP WP. Just goes to show that PLO8 players are far better at 'the pokers' than most holdem players, we just don't play it much as we don't want to scare them. (An exception being Tikay, of course!)
    Posted by Enut
    well done winshoes lovely story
  • edited September 2014
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words.
    Comments like those above just go to show the strength of the community spirit on this site.

• edited September 2014