You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

** Regroup & Persevere = Starting BR £50 **

edited October 2014 in Poker Chat
gl

never a tldr when you're concerned. 

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Sometimes less is more, so I'm going to attempt to keep this somewhat short and sweet. My name's Patrick and I have a variety of trials and tribulations within poker. Started at 6 player $5 sngs before transitioning to DYMs and climbing the ranks.

I've suffered from a multitude of mental game issues. I've let my life problems get in the way of my poker game. I've blown a ton of rolls and have thrown away thousands gambling. On the flip side I've gone on some sick heaters (mainly feb this year for £2.5k++). I haven't been happy with who I am, and I've tried to create a party 'I don't give a s***' persona. Intoxication has been a problem in the past and as a result I went completely t-total from January to March and this propelled me far further than I could have thought possible. Unfortunately I went to Spring break in Mexico for 10 days, including my 21st and essentially lost my mind and any progress I'd previous made.

To a certain extent I do like to party and I do like hot women, but in the past I've completely missed the balance. I finished uni this June and spent a lot of the summer becoming someone that I didn't want to be.

I have the amazing oppertunity of studying my Masters (MSc) in Strategic Marketing and Consulting at the University of Birmingham. I think now's the time to grow, have fun from time to time, but ultimately get serious with life. This means no more gambling outside of poker and being more conscious of the potential consequences of my actions.

Starting with a £50 roll. Going to focus on heads up SNG games and 5p/10p cash. If I blow the roll, I'll simply re-deposit and probably set more strigent BRM rules. 

Patrick
  • edited October 2014
    Good to see you back Pat. 

I'm sure you'll spin that £50 up in no time.

Good luck!
  • edited October 2014
    Welcome back Pat

GL with everything
  • edited October 2014
    Nice to see you back Pat....

RUN GOLDEN MATE

dev
  • edited October 2014
    Really do appreciate the well wishes. I can't believe everyone's here from my original thread, it really does mean a lot!

Interesting day on the felt. Stuck to £10 HU SNGs and 5p/10p (PLO) as intended. Although I did play one £10 HU hyper which is what I wanted to avoid. Definitely playing hypers under £5 tomorrow as I just don't need the variance.

Sharkscope's showing 50 (HU) games. Av Stake £8.35, Av ROI +14.1% +£32.62.

Won a couple of buy ins at PLO which puts me at £105.32.

Goals for tomorrow -

- 25+ HU SNGs
    - Only £3 hypers and below
    - No higher than 5p/10p PLO

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Regroup and persevere:
     I have the amazing oppertunity of studying my Masters (MSc) in Strategic Marketing and Consulting at the University of Birmingham. I think now's the time to grow, have fun from time to time, but ultimately get serious with life. This means no more gambling outside of poker and being more conscious of the potential consequences of my actions. Starting with a £50 roll. Going to focus on heads up SNG games and 5p/10p cash. If I blow the roll, I'll simply re-deposit and probably set more strigent BRM rules.  Patrick
    Posted by patwalshh

Good to see you back Pat.  I did wonder where you'd gone, BTW kudos on the bold bit.
    Pad

• edited October 2014

Wiiiiii, Pat is back.

Good luck mate, you know you can do it.

Life issues, blown the 'roll, da de da? We've all done daft things in our time, in my case, repeatedly, but the recovery is the greatest thing ever. You'll be fine.
  • edited October 2014
    Hi Pat,
    Very best of luck! My friends at Birmingham Uni and she absolutely loves it, so sure you will too :)
    MrsD
  • edited October 2014
    best of luck pat hope u win huge.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Regroup & Persevere = Starting BR £50:
    Unfortunately I went to Spring break in Mexico for 10 days, including my 21st and essentially lost my mind and any progress I'd previous made. To a certain extent I do like to party and I do like hot women, but in the past I've completely missed the balance. Posted by patwalshh
    Hi Patrick - I know I'm missing the point here, but at 21, in anyone's world that does sound like the best experience you could possibly hope to have at that age! I am getting way too jealous reading other people's diaries today :)

Hope you manage to find a way through the world that makes you happier longer term though, enjoy the memories and look enjoyable forward to the future. From your previous posts the poker part of this diary is certain to go in the right direction.
  • edited October 2014
    All the best Patrick.

Some honest self reflection going on there, which seems like you have the foundations in place to achieve what you want to.

Good luck and when you dont have good luck - have good discipline!
  • edited October 2014
    Good to see this thread back, always was an interesting read. 

GL at the tables!
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Regroup and persevere:
    In Response to Regroup and persevere : Good to see you back Pat.  I did wonder where you'd gone, BTW kudos on the bold bit. Pad
    Posted by Glenelg

Genuinely my friends call me nemo because they lose me and have no idea where I go. So maybe my alias should be nemofish1 instead of patwalshh.

DAY 2 -

37 games all £10 and below and no hypers above £5. Turbos are killing me at the moment but I understand my edge in them is small, especially when multi-tabling heads up.

On a side note I went to a postgraduate social at my university tonight, interesting group of people. Kind of like something out of the big bang theory, but beggars can't be choosers especilly when I don't know anyone in B'ham.

Ran good at PLO cash and sharkscope is showing me at:

37 games, Av Stake £9.11, Av ROI 13.3% +£66.14

Roll is on £186.60!!!! # (oh wait we too cool for # tags) .. Running good!
  • edited October 2014
    good playing u at plo i give u a few games 2moro   gl on ya challenge
  • edited October 2014

Great start Pat, keep it going.

"oh wait we too cool for # tags"

Good man! Be a shephered not a sheep.

All this hashtag stuff, & "sick, so so sick" is the product of lazy minds.

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Regroup & Persevere = Starting BR £50:
    Wiiiiii, Pat is back. Good luck mate, you know you can do it. Life issues, blown the 'roll, da de da? We've all done daft things in our time, in my case, repeatedly, but the recovery is the greatest thing ever. You'll be fine.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Great start Pat, keep it going.   "oh wait we too cool for # tags" Good man! Be a shephered not a sheep. All this hashtag stuff, & " sick, so so sick " is the product of lazy minds.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Great input. I need to be consistent and set myself viable goals and challenges. Be a leader not a follower!

Hi Pat, Very best of luck! My friends at Birmingham Uni and she absolutely loves it, so sure you will too :) MrsD
    Posted by mrsduck
    Thank yoouu.

best of luck pat hope u win huge.
    Posted by somecards1
    Here's hoping!!

In Response to Regroup & Persevere = Starting BR £50 : Hi Patrick - I know I'm missing the point here, but at 21, in anyone's world that does sound like the best experience you could possibly hope to have at that age! I am getting way too jealous reading other people's diaries today :) Hope you manage to find a way through the world that makes you happier longer term though, enjoy the memories and look enjoyable forward to the future. From your previous posts the poker part of this diary is certain to go in the right direction.
    Posted by shakinaces
    I didn't say that it wasn't fun at the time haha! I really admire the bold.

All the best Patrick. Some honest self reflection going on there, which seems like you have the foundations in place to achieve what you want to. Good luck and when you dont have good luck - have good discipline!
    Posted by Phantom66
    THIIISSSS! I'll be setting myself daily goals in an attempt to keep the discipline in check.

Good to see this thread back, always was an interesting read.  GL at the tables!
    Posted by Curt360x27
    Tyyy! See you around.

good playing u at plo i give u a few games 2moro   gl on ya challenge
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I look forward to it!

• edited October 2014
    Guidlines for today!

- No heads up hypers above £5.25
    - All other £10 heads up allowed
    - Only £20 heads up PLO SNGs. If I drop below £140 BR, I'll go back to £10 games

SATURDAYYYYYYYYYY LETS DO IT
  • edited October 2014
    I'm not entirely sure if I believe I'm the sort of person to keep a diary. I think it can be quite shallow simply posting a brag or an incredible run of results. On the other hand, to really explore yourself and your own inner workings, you need to be excessively self-critical. I however, am not sure if a public forum is correct for this sort of self-criticism.

My threads have been quite anecdotal in the past. Encompassing highs, lows and everything in between in short burts of self-realisation, brags and graphs. Perhaps this is why it drew such an array of followers, even if they rarely made their presence known.

For now, I'll keep this area tame and somewhat brag free. Results speak for themself. In order for me to be consistent, I can't dwell on the past. Poker is about dealing with the setbacks. But also, being prepared for the success.

Current BR £230.
  • edited October 2014
    . Be a leader not a follower!
    Posted by patwalshh

Unless it's dark or REALLY dangerous?

Anyhoo GL, will read with interest.

• edited October 2014
    Month has been all over the place and it shows in the consistency (or lack of it) in my results. I'm really not happy with my discipline in various aspects of my game and indeed buy-ins. I feel as though I'm really trying to force my bankroll instead of nurture it, and that's putting a great deal of pressure on myself. Average buy in needs to stay lower!

Sharkscope is showing me with +£229 in HU SNGs all speeds with a measley 6.6% ROI. This needs to improve! Although it's a step in the right direction.

Losing my balls in all forms of MTT. Getting deep and then running bad or into the nuts. Just need to ride out the variance in them.

Master's is going well and I'm mostly staying focused. Huge step up from undergraduate. Most people can get degrees in their sleep these days, it's absurd. Need to set myself daily goals which will start tomorrow! Made too many withdrawals and need to stop.

ROLL IS ON £198

• edited October 2014
    Graph for HU SNGs:

Current Poker Points:
  • edited October 2014
    What level of HU are you playing?? If its hypers then 6.6% is a fantastic roi and if its speeds then its still a good roi..

its very very risky playing £11 hu games with a sub 200 roll.. if you dont want to reload then i think you need 100 BI's for your level, although im sure you have a good enough game that you could probably get away with 50-75 instead...

best of luck
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: ** Regroup & Persevere = Starting BR £50 **:
    What level of HU are you playing?? If its hypers then 6.6% is a fantastic roi and if its speeds then its still a good roi.. its very very risky playing £11 hu games with a sub 200 roll.. if you dont want to reload then i think you need 100 BI's for your level, although im sure you have a good enough game that you could probably get away with 50-75 instead... best of luck
    Posted by jordz16
    Probably 40% speed, 25% turbo, 25% reg speed. Aiming for at least a 11-13% ROI in them over a good sample.

Thanks for the BRM advice, reloading/dropping down isn't too much of a problem for me at the moment.
  • edited October 2014
    Busted my sky bankroll.

On the flip side won a $1 tournament on another site for $3.7k.  

Variance.. £55 due in rb on sky

• edited October 2014
    nice 1 hope u can get this 1 up £3.7k