You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Double suited Flops... views wanted...

edited October 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Not relating to any specific hand, but I was just wondering on peoples views of flops with two same suited cards where you've connected in some way. 

ie flop = 5h 8h 10c (where your hole cards = Kd 10s)

What do people think is the percentage that you should bet in excess of half the pot, trying to ensure that your opps don't have the 3:1 drawing odds to chase a flush that they require to makew the call (mathematically)?

Is it something that should always be done? or what % roughly?

I just find that if I make the aformentioned bet then it usually scares off any opposition limiting my chip accumulation, but if I don't make the bet, then it seems that the third suited card comes an inordinate amount of the time ( I know it's proportional, it just SEEMS frequent lately) and such a situation makes playing later streets / maintaining pot control difficult.

views appreciated, thanks. 

Comments

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Double suited Flops... views wanted...:
    Not relating to any specific hand, but I was just wondering on peoples views of flops with two same suited cards where you've connected in some way.  ie flop = 5h 8h 10c (where your hole cards = Kd 10s) What do people think is the percentage that you should bet in excess of half the pot, trying to ensure that your opps don't have the 3:1 drawing odds to chase a flush that they require to makew the call (mathematically)? Is it something that should always be done? or what % roughly? I just find that if I make the aformentioned bet then it usually scares off any opposition limiting my chip accumulation, but if I don't make the bet, then it seems that the third suited card comes an inordinate amount of the time ( I know it's proportional, it just SEEMS frequent lately) and such a situation makes playing later streets / maintaining pot control difficult. views appreciated, thanks. 
    Posted by PuppetJack
    Hi Jack,

I'm not convinced that the vast majority of players take the pot odds into consideration in these spots. The general thinking is "I have 4 to the flush, I'll call".

Charge them plenty, & if they call, all the better. If the flush arrives, too bad, but we don't KNOW they have it, they could be on other draws.  

• edited October 2014
    I agree with Tikay - why if they fold to a flop bet could they only be laying down a priced out flush draw?

Odds are they have totally missed flop and are giving it up. Many new/casual players who like to play suited cards will hang in there for a pot sized bet.

Play will vary with opponent and levels etc.

Also try not give information away to the better players if you always bet 3/4 if I you are worried about a flush draw but say half pot to build a pot with the nuts etc you will be playing your cards "face up" to the regs.

You should be spotting who is calling down with what sort of holdings to help you judge your bet sizing when HU versus a player you have seen make mistakes.
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks Gents, - I think I just seem to be getting frustrated at getting outdrawn a lot atm. 

Tikay, I know you're right & that players dont think about odds, - just trying to optimise my play. 

Phantom, thanks, - I do try to keep all of my bets (strong or not) within a relatively narrow range to try & disguise my hand strength at all times, but am wondering if this regularity might be some part of the cause of my issue as described, maybe I'm not charging draws etc enough & getting too nervous about aggro players due to my current 'bad form' 

ugh. 

anyway, thx for the advice.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Double suited Flops... views wanted...:
    In Response to Double suited Flops... views wanted... : Hi Jack, I'm not convinced that the vast majority of players take the pot odds into consideration in these spots. The general thinking is "I have 4 to the flush, I'll call". Charge them plenty, & if they call, all the better. If the flush arrives, too bad, but we don't KNOW they have it, they could be on other draws.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Everytime somebody starts a new thread,

Tikay has to hijack it.
    (sorry)
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Double suited Flops... views wanted... : Everytime somebody starts a new thread, Tikay has to hijack it. (sorry)
    Posted by dragon1964
    Glad you spotted my oh-so-feeble pun..........
  • edited October 2014

As Tikay said most people wont pay attention to pot odds.

If the flush comes in just proceed with caution (generally)

Take notes on how people play their draws.

If they donk the river when the flush comes in, then we can easily fold.

• edited October 2014
    As Tikay said most people wont pay attention to pot odds. If the flush comes in just proceed with caution (generally) Take notes on how people play their draws. If they donk the river when the flush comes in, then we can easily fold.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Surely that leaves you susceptble to crazy bluffs everytime a flush draw hits though..?