You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

two HUGE hands losing on 2/4p (AA & QQ)

edited October 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all. Here are two hands which I lost the bulk of my £2.20 buy-in today when attempting to play cash on Sky Poker. I don't know WHAT it is at present, but I seem to somehow luck out everytime when I'm trying to play cash on here.

I remember back a few months ago when I had a miniscule bankroll I attempted to play some cash and got all my confidence sucked out of me in a similar way, losing big hands which invariably I've seen winning when other members of sky are playing, just I cant seem to see what I'm doing wrong if anything!!! :'( here they are.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Briscoe Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £4.47
mondo1985 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.96
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

Jalderman Call   £0.04 £0.10 £2.27
GaryLaud All-in   £0.71 £0.81 £0.00
NEOPHYTE Fold        
johnJO Fold        
Briscoe Call   £0.69 £1.50 £3.78
mondo1985 Fold        
Jalderman All-in   £2.27 £3.77 £0.00
Briscoe Fold        
Jalderman Unmatched bet   £1.60 £2.17 £1.60
Jalderman Show
  • Q

GaryLaud Show
  • Q
  • Q

Flop

Turn

River

Jalderman Win Flush to the Queen £2.00   £3.60

Comments

• edited October 2014
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    NEOPHYTE Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.96
    johnJO Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £1.29
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

Briscoe Fold        
    Amyh91 Call   £0.04 £0.10 £1.63
    GaryLaud Raise   £0.12 £0.22 £1.33
    NEOPHYTE Fold        
    johnJO Fold        
    Amyh91 Call   £0.08 £0.30 £1.55
    Flop

• Q

Amyh91 Check        
    GaryLaud Bet   £0.16 £0.46 £1.17
    Amyh91 Call   £0.16 £0.62 £1.39
    Turn

Amyh91 Check        
    GaryLaud Bet   £0.12 £0.74 £1.05
    Amyh91 Call   £0.12 £0.86 £1.27
    River

Amyh91 All-in   £1.27 £2.13 £0.00
    GaryLaud All-in   £1.05 £3.18 £0.00
    Amyh91 Unmatched bet   £0.22 £2.96 £0.22
    Amyh91 Show
    • K

GaryLaud Show
    • A
    • A

Amyh91 Win Flush to the King £2.73   £2.95
  • edited October 2014
    Why are you only betting 12p into a 62p pot in the second hand?
  • edited October 2014
    1st hand:

dont sit in a 2/4p cash game with 71p.

either top up or, if you are not rolled, just play another format. you wont learn much about the game by playing so short and you really limit your options.

2nd hand:

again you're not full stack which is a leak in itself

cbet is ok, i'd go bigger, but its not a big deal.

definately bet bigger on the turn. that bet size is far too small. you want to set stacks up for a river shove - basically you dont want to be overbetting the river. go bigger, get value and price them to call on the river.

you need to put people on ranges and select the bet size that best exploits that range. that bet does nothing.
  • edited October 2014
    I agree with Teddybloat, you can't be sitting with just 71p as people will call a shove wider. 2nd hand you need to be betting at least half pot because as it is you have slow played aces and allowed them to call their draw cheap and hit on the river.
  • edited October 2014
    I had previously bought in with £1.20 as that was all I was prepared to risk as I've not played much cash here, and had lost a 35p pot previously to that hand in question. I would perhaps normally sit with the full £4 or £2 even but I'm not committing much at the moment as cash tables on Sky have been pretty brutal to me.

I've previously lost very very big a few months ago on the cash tables here and it drained my confidence and left me feeling I just didn't want to play.

Even despite the fact I keep hearing people saying "oh you can definately build a bankroll playing cash" I just think it's a site thing and I struggle with the dynamics on cash here.

STRUGGLING is a general phrase that I can easily use with my play here at present, and despite this though I've done well elsewhere and are getting encouraging results, but I think this could very well be a RUN GOLDEN? I just don't know!

A weekend away from the computer now follows and I'll see next week where I want to go, which will probably be back to DYM's, despite running very very poorly there also!
  • edited October 2014
    having discipline, focus and skill is the only surefire way of building a small roll -  you need all three things.

if you want to play for fun then flicking a quid onto the cash tables and not minding losing is fine, but to make money at low stakes cash you need to be able to maximise your edges in big pots and that means being properly rolled and topped up.

dont worry about runbad it is the one thing in poker we cannot control and it isnt worth a second of your attention.

good luck