You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Playing premium hands in a DYM

edited December 2014 in Sit & Go Strategy
All
I'm a bit of a DYM reg, at present playing MICRO stakes (60p/£1).

There is something which U have noticed tonight, but can't say it is prevelant all the time!

On the times I had recieved one of the BIG Hands, (IE AA/KK) I raised and made it around 4-6x BB price. I then got Insta-Folds all around the table. However, one of the other players on the table open shove's the last of the big-hands AK and ends up being looked up for it.

Is it worth open shoving when you get such hands as AA/KK/QQ's etc and run the risk of elimination should lady luck HATE you at that stage, OR would it be perhaps best to persist with my current strategy?

Regards
Gary

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Depends on blind levels/stack sizes but never 4/6xing anything, raise the same amount everytime to keep range as wide as possible (Assuming you are talking about early stages Levels 1-3 or so). I know its a DYM but still can't be afraid to play hands post flop early doors
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Playing premium hands in a DYM:
    Depends on blind levels/stack sizes but never 4/6xing anything, raise the same amount everytime to keep range as wide as possible (Assuming you are talking about early stages Levels 1-3 or so). I know its a DYM but still can't be afraid to play hands post flop early doors
    Posted by Matt237
    Yes matt! It was within first 2-3 levels i got those hands and would certainly not be raising that much mid-late stages, prob consider either 3x or AIPF.

However id got kinda stuck in a rut with the way i had been playing the big hands of late, esp when playing these during a failed cash table experiment (i will send u a pm on this!)

I was asking the Q due to difference in the way the hands were played obtained differing reactions from the table!!
  • edited October 2014
    Gary,

As Matt has suggested, you want to keep some players in at the early stages, raise enough to dissuade any silly hands, but do try and encourage 'speculative' and 'marginal' hands.

Always c-bet and try and keep your betting patterns as consistent as possible, post flop play will be determined by the board texture, position and opponents actions.

In a DYM it is imperative not to get too attached to strong pairs if the flop has potentially hit them hard, with correct bet sizing and adequate pot control you should be able to stand a few bet folds along the way.

If opponents have seen you have the ability to bet/fold the times you hit the flop hard and c bet, they may try their luck and you should be able to get more value

Neil
  • edited October 2014
    You 6x AA in the first level of a DYM then wonder why everyone folds?
  • edited November 2014

keep your opening bets the same,dependant on level and position,when im in a late position i bet maybe 2 1/2, and early 3x.Dont be afraid to got to a flop,as this is really when the decent players come into there own,be strong and have belief in yourself.At times you will get busted by much lesser hands,thats just the way it rolls.the old saying in the long term.
  • edited November 2014
    only way to win with aa is to shove don't raise
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Playing premium hands in a DYM:
    All I'm a bit of a DYM reg, at present playing MICRO stakes (60p/£1). There is something which U have noticed tonight, but can't say it is prevelant all the time! On the times I had recieved one of the BIG Hands, (IE AA/KK) I raised and made it around 4-6x BB price. I then got Insta-Folds all around the table. However, one of the other players on the table open shove's the last of the big-hands AK and ends up being looked up for it. Is it worth open shoving when you get such hands as AA/KK/QQ's etc and run the risk of elimination should lady luck HATE you at that stage, OR would it be perhaps best to persist with my current strategy? Regards Gary
    Posted by GaryLaud
    I don't really get this part tbh. What lady luck does isn't really gonna change whether you limp, raise or shove. If an oppo gets lucky with the flop unless it is a really wet board you are getting stacked.
    If we think we will get a call holding top 5 hands then we should be shoving all day long.

With it being early stages of a DyM 4x/6x is just screaming strength, so oppos will fold accordingly. In the early levels you can and should get involved with flops with premiums as folding post flop will not be decimating your stack, while giving you a chance to stack someone who gets over attached to say top pair