You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Average pot size

edited October 2014 in Poker Chat
I've read a few comments that suggest this should be one of the things considered when deciding what table to sit at... and the fact it suggests a more active table all seems very logical... but is there anything to say what sample size the average is based on?

I mean, if we're talking hundreds or even thousands of hands then it could easily be the case that the loose players left some time ago... if we're talking only a very small sample then a cooler or two in the last orbit would make an otherwise super-nit table seem way more fun to join than it really is.

Comments

• edited October 2014
    I think they are only a small sample size because they fluctuate quite a lot. I'd say it's something in the region of about last 20 hands. No idea though, this is just my guess.
  • edited October 2014
    I was under the impression it was the last 8 hands.  Don't quote me tho.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Average pot size:
    I was under the impression it was the last 8 hands.  Don't quote me tho.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    oops.
  • edited October 2014
    I just assumed it was updated after every hand, but thinking about it I'm not sure the software could handle that.
  • edited October 2014
    I just assumed it was updated after every hand, but thinking about it I'm not sure the software could handle that.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Yes it updates every hand, but he is asking on how many hands is that average worked out on.
  • edited October 2014
    Would it be every orbit mabye.  Or the hour?  
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Average pot size : Yes it updates every hand, but he is asking on how many hands is that average worked out on.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    just in case slippy is having a problem with the language used. note the reference to multiple items, but also to the simplicity of the calculation. i expect the software should be able to keep up with that, especially given all the spare time there is while it is looking for the appropriate river card. how long is that list is the question being asked i believe.

In colloquial language average usually refers to the sum of a list of numbers divided by the size of the list, in other words the arithmetic mean. However, the word "average" can be used to refer to the median, the mode, or some other central or typical value. In statistics, these are all known as measures of central tendency. Thus the concept of an average can be extended in various ways in mathematics, but in those contexts it is usually referred to as a mean(for example the mean of a function).
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Average pot size : just in case slippy is having a problem with the language used. note the reference to multiple items, but also to the simplicity of the calculation. i expect the software should be able to keep up with that, especially given all the spare time there is while it is looking for the appropriate river card. how long is that list is the question being asked i believe. In  colloquial  language  average  usually refers to the sum of a list of numbers divided by the size of the list, in other words the  arithmetic mean . However, the word "average" can be used to refer to the  median , the  mode , or some other central or typical value. In statistics, these are all known as  measures of central tendency . Thus the concept of an average can be extended in various ways in mathematics, but in those contexts it is usually referred to as a  mean (for example the  mean of a function ).
    Posted by GELDY
    Funny guy :)
  • edited October 2014
     I think it's the average pot since those particular players started playing---- Not sure, but I think it resets to zero if someone joins or leaves the table
  • edited October 2014
    Cheers for the replies... sounds like it doesn't hold much value at all then really... best stick to just focussing on sitting at tables with minimal numbers of regs...
  • edited October 2014
    Cheers for the replies... sounds like it doesn't hold much value at all then really... best stick to just focussing on sitting at tables with minimal numbers of regs...
    Posted by shakinaces
    Still a handy tool Shakin, especially on weekends---- often helps spot a loony--- it's usually just one or two players being mad agro preflop---- floppawhopper!