You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Please critique accordingly

edited October 2014 in The Poker Clinic

I raised pre - Hit big, Bet Pot size on flop, knowing that loose aces would call. 
only had just over a pot sized bet on the turn so shoved.

What should I have done?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancectbnSmall blind 15.0015.002130.00Mac77Big blind 30.0045.001640.00 Your hole cardsQ10   sunny15018Fold    DanJFishFold    mhb2108Fold    PuppetJackRaise 90.00135.001015.00ctbnCall 75.00210.002055.00Mac77Fold    Flop  A10Q   ctbnCheck    PuppetJackBet 210.00420.00805.00ctbnCall 210.00630.001845.00Turn  8   ctbnCheck    PuppetJackAll-in 805.001435.000.00ctbnCall 805.002240.001040.00ctbnShow9J   PuppetJackShowQ10   River  4   ctbnWinStraight to the Queen2240.00 3280.00

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Dont like the turn overbet. Youre narrowing his calling range down to hands that beat you. 

He needs 805/2240 =  36% equity to call, even if he had Kd9d or Jd9d on a 7h turn  he would have to fold.

Also ctbn is a very good player. This type of flop is one that we will want to check with air often. He can hand read well and if youre potting your value on flop and bombing it on turn then you make like easy for his gut shots and weak made hands.

The fop bet size has left you this awkward turn spr. Bet smaller on flop and turn, and he is priced in by the river anyways with weaker made hands, and might shove semi bluffs on turn. As it is youve telegraphed your hand strength on the flop, and he has great implied odds to hit his draw as it looks like you only have one move left on the turn. Hes been allowed to play perfectly against you.

I hate the idea of "betting for protection" as it implies we want draws to fold. Do not price draws out. You are a bookmaker here, set a price that will allow punters to 'bet' whilst still giving you a great margin longterm.
  • edited October 2014
    Im not keen on 3xing the button either fwiw.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Please critique accordingly:
    Dont like the turn overbet. Youre narrowing his calling range down to hands that beat you.  He needs 805/2240 =  36% equity to call, even if he had Kd9d or Jd9d on a 7h turn  he would have to fold. Also ctbn is a very good player. This type of flop is one that we will want to check with air often. He can hand read well and if youre potting your value on flop and bombing it on turn then you make like easy for his gut shots and weak made hands. The fop bet size has left you this awkward turn spr. Bet smaller on flop and turn, and he is priced in by the river anyways with weaker made hands, and might shove semi bluffs on turn. As it is youve telegraphed your hand strength on the flop, and he has great implied odds to hit his draw as it looks like you only have one move left on the turn. Hes been allowed to play perfectly against you. I hate the idea of "betting for protection" as it implies we want draws to fold. Do not price draws out. You are a bookmaker here, set a price that will allow punters to 'bet' whilst still giving you a great margin longterm.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Exactly that.

Over the long term, we do NOT want those drawing to fold. Charge them the right price, & hope they pay to stay.

We should not think in terms of individual hands, we should think of long term.

When I have an iffy exit, I always ask myself "how would I stand if we played the same hand, the same way, 10,000 times?" If the answer if we'd win 6,000 times, happy days. Think of that the 4,000 times we lose.  

• edited October 2014
    I hate it when people just mash the pot button; put some thought into your betting, always look to type it in where possible.

Maybe go 150 on the flop, which will make the pot 510 with 850 or so behind for the turn. Turn isn't a brilliant card, but we can't bet fold. Gonna be villain dependent on the best line from here on in.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Please critique accordingly:
    I hate it when people just mash the pot button; put some thought into your betting, always look to type it in where possible. Maybe go 150 on the flop, which will make the pot 510 with 850 or so behind for the turn. Turn isn't a brilliant card, but we can't bet fold. Gonna be villain dependent on the best line from here on in.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I actually don't mind the pot bet on the flop here with this particular hand. It's a drawy board which would bring even more draws OTT and our hand although fairly strong is vulnerable and a 2 street betting game is a fine plan to have here. Had we bet 150 otf and then 350 OTT the pot would be 1200 with only 500 behind OTR which is a really awkward sizing to have left... we're going to hate life on a ton of rivers and although we have position villain could donk shove the river some of the time. 

The other problem with trying to play this hand across 3 streets is that hands that might have called a small turn overshove (AK - if he chose to flat pre, AJ, A9 and even Axdd as well as maybe the odd worse Ax) hands might get away cheaply if river is a scare card.

Also, in response to Teddy re. "wanting" villain to pay the wrong price to draw - this isn't always the case. Sometimes you'd prefer an opponent fold their draw if it has implied odds for them. It's their hands with even less equity vs ours though that we don't want to fold out. So stuff like KQ, Ax with bad kicker - so it becomes a compromise. We bet less to give draws a better price but we give weaker hands more incentive to call. It also means that when we're bluffing, we can do so for cheaper.

To balance our 2 street gameplan with this hand, we could use a couple of drawing hands that want fold equity OTT.

The rest of our range though we should definitely think about betting smaller and going for a 3 street approach. (So AQ/AT/KJ/sets as well as semi bluffs)