You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

7 Types of Tilt. Recognize any of these?

edited October 2014 in Poker Chat

Here's another excellent piece by Barry Carter.

http://bit.ly/1w8w0E2

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Nice blog.

I used to be susceptible to all the different types of tilt and especially the last one "desperation tilt" - happened to me far too regularly. I found though that by having a better BRM that desperation tilt has been drastically been reduced since as long as I'm playing well, I can handle a -10BI swing at the lower stakes that I play. Back when I had little BRM a 10BI swing was often half my BR though so desperation tilt set in a lot quicker!!

These days I'm mostly only susceptible to mistake tilt but rather than tilt off money I tilt in the other way by just taking a break from poker for a couple of days. 
  • edited October 2014

If anyone has any questions on that article, Barry Carter will reply to them for you.
  • edited October 2014
    Nice article thanks, there's some pretty good tips.
    Although he missed the 'losing connection and getting timed out' tilt...

In Response to 7 Types of Tilt. Recognize any of these?:
    Here's another excellent piece by Barry Carter. http://bit.ly/1w8w0E2
    Posted by Tikay10
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: 7 Types of Tilt. Recognize any of these?:
    Nice article thanks, there's some pretty good tips. Although he missed the 'losing connection and getting timed out' tilt...
    Posted by poppy765
    This.  Tech-tilt causes way more swearing and hitting of things than the other 7 in the list.  I think the internet connection can sense when you've just been dealt AA and purposely causes you to fold pre!

I may occasionally moan about runbad tilt away from the tables, but acknowledging that I've had so much rungood previously, I don't tend to get affected in game.
  • edited October 2014
    Hmmmmmm this one stands out. 

How do sort positve variance from your skill as a player though??

2 – Injustice Tilt 

Injustice Tilt is all about not getting what you think is fair. It’s as though the poker gods have ruled against you and your sentence is a poker lifetime of bad cards. Constantly getting sent to the rail with some sick beat, or bad players constantly hitting 2 outers, etc, can challenge your beliefs of what is right and subsequently make you angry. When you think you’re cursed or getting screwed all the time it makes perfect sense why you’d be angry. The important question is whether you actually are not getting your fair share, or does it just appear that way?  

The solution: While bad luck makes poker profitable, it’s not enough to just know that logically since you still tilt when bad luck happens to you. For most players, the real problem happens when their perception is thrown off when they are far more skilled at seeing negative variance, so positive variance ignored, which means positive variance is assumed to be their own skill. So it appears that more bad luck is happening, when that imbalance is falsely created in your mind. The best way to tip this back in your favor is to get better at separating positive variance from your skill as a player. 
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks Tikay ---- I read it, but it just reminded me of all the mad flopwit idiot lunatics that really make me MAD!!!-- MAD I TELL YOU!!--- I WILL PUT THEM ALL ON A LEAKING BOAT AND MAKE THEM PLAY PHIL IVEY FOR BUCKETS I TELL YOU!!--- FFFKKKKKTTTSSSNODDIES!!!!!---- WHY DO THESE PEOPLE EVEN EXIST???----CAN BARRY CARTER TELL ME THAT??--- EH?-----EH?----- FLOPSAKE!!!
  • edited October 2014
     Just making a deposit with my only 30 quid in the world now---- could you estimate my chances?
  • edited October 2014
    Has anyone got any advice for 'tech tilt' as shakinaces so elegantly put it?
    I try and pretend there's an internet angel protecting me from coolers to preserve my meagre stack...

Is there a name for 'I should've topped up my small blind to see the flop even though the blinds are huge and it looked like junk because I would've flopped a house' tilt? cos that sometimes gets me too... 
  • edited October 2014
    Has anyone got any advice for 'tech tilt' as shakinaces so elegantly put it? I try and pretend there's an internet angel protecting me from coolers to preserve my meagre stack... Is there a name for 'I should've topped up my small blind to see the flop even though the blinds are huge and it looked like junk because I would've flopped a house' tilt? cos that sometimes gets me too... 
    Posted by poppy765
    Tech tilt definitely is annoying! In cash it's not so bad because you can just quit if your internet/sky is playing up. I have a backup internet connection too on my phone with portable hotspot in case the internet cuts out, that helps too!

As for not seeing a flop and then hitting a monster - I usually forget what hand I had by the time the flop comes as long as I'm playing enough tables!! But when I do remember my hand it only really affects me if it's something that was 50/50 on whether to see a flop or not and I decide to fold. If it's a hand like 72o that I'm always folding then I know it's the correct decision so don't care if the flop comes 227!

• edited October 2014
    Nice article thanks, there's some pretty good tips. Although he missed the 'losing connection and getting timed out' tilt... In Response to 7 Types of Tilt. Recognize any of these? :
    Posted by poppy765
    Ha, I hate that too. We did consider having an 8th one, 'situational tilt' but we realised that the seven would fit in to something like this, it depends what it is about the losing connection that tilts you. 

For example, you might think its not fair that you timed out - injustice tilt.

You might think you dont deserve to time out - entitlement tilt. 

You might lambast your mistake in not getting a better/back up internet provider - mistake tilt. 

Or you might ring up the broadband provider and call them poopy heads - revenge tilt. 

Barry
  • edited October 2014
    Hmmmmmm this one stands out.  How do sort positve variance from your skill as a player though?? 2 – Injustice Tilt  Injustice Tilt is all about not getting what you think is fair. It’s as though the poker gods have ruled against you and your sentence is a poker lifetime of bad cards. Constantly getting sent to the rail with some sick beat, or bad players constantly hitting 2 outers, etc, can challenge your beliefs of what is right and subsequently make you angry. When you think you’re cursed or getting screwed all the time it makes perfect sense why you’d be angry. The important question is whether you actually are not getting your fair share, or does it just appear that way?   The solution: While bad luck makes poker profitable, it’s not enough to just know that logically since you still tilt when bad luck happens to you. For most players, the real problem happens when their perception is thrown off when they are far more skilled at seeing negative variance, so positive variance ignored, which means positive variance is assumed to be their own skill. So it appears that more bad luck is happening, when that imbalance is falsely created in your mind. The best way to tip this back in your favor is to get better at separating positive variance from your skill as a player. 
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Probably the best place to start (and I recommend EVERYONE do this for so many reasons) is to ask yourself at the end of every session:

1) How much of today's result was my skill?
    2) How much was my opponents skill?
    3) How much was luck?

The very fact that you even ask this will sharpern your ability to look for positive variance. Its one of those things where bias will always creep in, but the fact you are looking for information that goes against your instinct is a great start. 

• edited October 2014
    Thanks Tikay ---- I read it, but it just reminded me of all the mad flopwit idiot lunatics that really make me MAD!!!-- MAD I TELL YOU!!--- I WILL PUT THEM ALL ON A LEAKING BOAT AND MAKE THEM PLAY PHIL IVEY FOR BUCKETS I TELL YOU!!--- FFFKKKKKTTTSSSNODDIES!!!!!---- WHY DO THESE PEOPLE EVEN EXIST???----CAN BARRY CARTER TELL ME THAT??--- EH?-----EH?----- FLOPSAKE!!!
    Posted by oynutter
    Would you prefer to play against highly skilled opponents who pick better starting hands than you? 
  • edited October 2014
    Has anyone got any advice for 'tech tilt' as shakinaces so elegantly put it? I try and pretend there's an internet angel protecting me from coolers to preserve my meagre stack... Is there a name for 'I should've topped up my small blind to see the flop even though the blinds are huge and it looked like junk because I would've flopped a house' tilt? cos that sometimes gets me too... 
    Posted by poppy765
    Thats actually mistake tilt. Mistake tilt is not just about actual mistakes, it is about perceived mistakes too. 

We all know that 7-2 is a bad hand, and we all know that voluntarily playing it is a mistake. If we play the hand and lose, we could get mistake tilt, because we know we should not have played it. However, it is possible to have the same response if we don't play the hand and the flop comes 7-2-2. In the long term most of us know that's just a fluke, but some people might mistakenly think its a mistake.