You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New to poker and want to learn please help me

edited November 2015 in Poker Chat
hello there,
My alias is QUEENIE30 and it was suggested that i hould join up and learn the game so i have done but my results are terrible which is too be expected as i have never played cards before, but it look like a really great game and very very fun.

I played DTD competition on monday evening it was fantastic fun.

so I have just joined a team which they are all very nice, is there anything else i should do.

i have just been playing nice hands like AA,KK,QQ,JJ,1010,99,88,77 - AK,AQ,AJ,A10,KQ,KJ,K10,J10.

I did ok but i felt lost at times as i didnt know if i had a good hand or not.

in one hand i called a raise with j10 and the flop was 29j  so i bet and the person went all in i didnt know if i should call or fold.

i am sorry if this is a poor post i am just after a little help or point in the right direction of how to play.

thank you

Comments

• edited October 2014

Hi your Majesty....;) Welcome to the Forum.

There are some Poker strategy videos here on the forum.

There is also a poker clinic on here where you can post hands and ask for advice.

GL at the the tables.
  • edited October 2014
    Hi queenie30, we are all learners, some less than others so dont panic. Try a few games on the free tables might help.

ps if you swear your allegiance to Everton i will tell you everything you need to know, even about poker...lol
  • edited October 2014
    Welcome to the site Queenie - until you learn to be good, just do your best to be lucky and you'll get enough wins to keep you ticking over in the short term!

Not sure if this link will work, but a basic MTT strat guide thread was started a month or so ago and may be of interesting reading... there are others in the clinic sections of the forum for other game types if you venture over to cash / DYM games or dip your toes in Omaha games!

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a2e4f51cb-c64c-449f-a843-8db9c5fe7283Forum%3ae6c7e49e-4ab5-4f79-9a89-3a6d1f4f9081Discussion%3aa61b64f8-1212-4ced-a7f5-092ff73a0bc7
  • edited October 2014
    hiya queenie if you are down to 10 big blinds and below don't be afraid to get it in with 2s 3s 4s 5s and 6s if you are 1st to act gl and hope to see you on the tables
  • edited October 2014
    Afternoon Queenie.

To answer your question: knowing nothing about stack sizes, players, etc... you should probably fold in that position.

The guys before me have already offered some good advice (even tomo) so all I'll say is try not to take anything personally on the forum. Most of us are good eggs, but some members will try to test your patience and humour early in your life here on Sky... ;)

Good luck on the felt.
  • edited October 2014
    I would recomend watching Sky Poker TV and playing DYM's (double your money. You only have to finish in top 3 to cash. Good for building confidence) but more so SnG's (Sit and Gos. Top 2 paid but it gives you a better feel of playing tournaments as it has a defintie beginning, middle and end).

Playing these formats mean you know how much you can lose at any one time, unlike cash. Watching Sky poker TV will give you a lot of insights and you get see other peoples cards and what they do with them in different stages.

Good luck and welcome.
  • edited October 2014
    thank you all,

using all the advice given and blogs read and you tube channel viewed.

i am playing the mini and megastack.

just lost in the mini there was two all ins my cards were KK so i pressed all in also.

vs 94 and AA, I finished last and was out but really enjoyed it.

on 11k in megatsack this is great fun

• edited October 2014
    heres a basic video on how to play http://youtu.be/JOomXP-r1wY
  • edited October 2014
    Hey queenie,
    Welcome to the forum!
    the best advice would be to play within your bankroll and have fun.

Varying the games you play will hone the various skills you need to be a strong player because good tournament play often involves adapting to the table you're on.

I started playing dyms which teach you to about patience, table image, stack preservation, adapting to bigger blinds and the strength of positioning. 
    Freerolls are obviously a good way to try out more agressive play and get into bigger tournaments for free.
    Heads up against a single opponent can be very daunting for a new player (because aggression) is the key but i would say playing heads up or short handed is what has improved my game (and confidence) the most.
    So i would suggest once you are more comfortable, read a heads up guide and try out one of the micro stakes options.

Best of luck!

• edited October 2014
    Hi Queenie,

Welcome to Sky Poker.

My advice would be to watch Sky Poker TV- it runs 24-7 on Sky Channel 861 or you can stream it from this website.

It's live three nights a week, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays so you can send in hand numbers and questions and we'll give you advice on the show.

The next live show is tomorrow night from 7 so why not post on the show thread or email in a question or two? skyopen@bskyb.com

I think if you watch the channel you'll improve your game in no time.

But then- I wuld say that, wouldn't I? ;-)

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: New to poker and want to learn please help me:
    Hi Queenie, Welcome to Sky Poker. My advice would be to watch Sky Poker TV- it runs 24-7 on Sky Channel 861 or you can stream it from this website. It's live three nights a week, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays so you can send in hand numbers and questions and we'll give you advice on the show. The next live show is tomorrow night from 7 so why not post on the show thread or email in a question or two? skyopen@bskyb.com I think if you watch the channel you'll improve your game in no time. But then- I wuld say that, wouldn't I? ;-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Obviously these live shows are hosted by presenters with a diverse range of talents and abilities, right Rich?
  • edited October 2014
    your on the show loads rich how come u aint improved lol ;)
  • edited October 2014
    Welcome queenie.

3 pointers from me.

1)  Always try and enjoy your poker.

2)  Don't listen to hand advice from Mr Orford.

3)  Discipline is the key!

Best of luck

DTM
  • edited October 2014
    1. position and aggression are key.

2. keep you chip stack at 100BB when playing cash

3. it might convince the rest to fold but at the end of the day you can't be certain he'll fold, so unless you have perhaps quads, a set on a very dry flop or a full house, make sure you do the raise.
  • edited October 2014
    1. position and aggression are key. 2. keep you chip stack at 100BB when playing cash 3. it might convince the rest to fold but at the end of the day you can't be certain he'll fold, so unless you have perhaps quads, a set on a very dry flop or a full house, make sure you do the raise. as time goes these folds you see being made are what will allow you to start doing semi bluffs
    Posted by craigcu12
    Queenie says she is very new to cards, Craig... so one step at a time, eh?
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: New to poker and want to learn please help me : Queenie says she is very new to cards, Craig... so one step at a time, eh?
    Posted by Slipwater
    that just relates back to point 1 really aggression.

the semi bluffs is just a point about myself, i'm not telling her to start right away. for now just bet with those monsters and play abc
  • edited September 2015
    thank you all for the tips and pointing me in the right direction, not been able to play much as been very busy at work, but hopefully should be able to again tonight as I played last night.

1 small cash in 6th place was a great start for me.

I just struggled when I was down to the top 20 and I was raising a10,kq,kj,a9 in position and players where shoving and I folded as my hands were probably behind ( well that was my thinking is this correct)  I did call a shove with ak and sadly I lost to j8 but loved playing.

thank you to rainman who helped me learn position.

note : this game is harder than a lot of people think ( well for me anyway)

• edited September 2015
    Hi Queenie, welcome to the forum. Have we chatted on the tables before?? Am sure we might have done. I wish you luck on your poker journey. I hope it's full of fun. Don't get disheartened if you don't win or go deep. It all takes time. You have got the best community spirit here and all the help and advice from players who have been playing years. I am sure your poker journey will be a good one. Look forward to seeing you on the tables.
  • edited September 2015
    your on the show loads rich how come u aint improved lol ;)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    In fact Rich's results seem to have improved significantly since the demise of the original shows. I wonder why that is? 

Meanwhile gl Queenie
  • edited November 2015
    Thanks again for all the great advice given to me during my time on skypoker, you are all so kind and nice people at the tables.

I really enjoy playing this great game and I managed to win 3.30 £200 bounty hunter on the 25/11/2015 which was great for my confidence and I also managed to take 11 heads in finishing 3rd the speed bounty hunter early this morning.

so delighted thank you all again.
  • edited November 2015
    Hi Queenie, welcome to the forum. Have we chatted on the tables before?? Am sure we might have done. I wish you luck on your poker journey. I hope it's full of fun. Don't get disheartened if you don't win or go deep. It all takes time. You have got the best community spirit here and all the help and advice from players who have been playing years. I am sure your poker journey will be a good one. Look forward to seeing you on the tables.
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Hi Dark Angel, yeah we have shared tables previously and you are one of the nicest person I have played with , as I remember I was being abused at the table by what I could call a very sad individual and you stepped in and reassured me to continue so all I can do is thank you for that it was very kind of you, as you were aware I was quite upset to what was said.

i seem to be learning every time I play just a shame i cant play as much as i would like with work commitments ( picking up bad habits too)

• edited November 2015
    Hi queenie congratulations on your bounty hunter this game is magic isn't it just enjoy it and as for the trolls you are better than them already when they start (and they will ) ignore them or try winding them up its fun let's keep it that way good luck in all your games