You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bankroll management for sats??

edited October 2014 in Poker Chat
Im just wondering what people consider when playing sats, Myself personally never buy in to a tournament i dont have 100 buy ins for, so how would i translate that into sats?

say i had £1000 and would be rolled for £10 games, and i wanted to play a £30 game where there were 1 in 10 sats for £3 each, should i say i could have 3 attempts to stay under my £10 limit but give up i dont win, or should i take every £3 attempt as a different game and tell myself "im comfortably rolled for £3 games so should just play as many as it takes providing i believe i have an edge?

2 different ways of looking at it and i am just wondering what other peoples management strategy is?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    if you win at them play as many as you want
    if it's only as a way to get into a bigger mtt then its up to your bankroll limit - ie 3 of the £3, more than that and you're paying more than your £10 limit
  • edited October 2014
    50 bis for sats i think is fine so if u play a £5.30 sat gotta ave £250 in ya account
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Bankroll management for sats??:
    50 bis for sats i think is fine so if u play a £5.30 sat gotta ave £250 in ya account
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Lol this sounds completely arbitrary!

If you only play sats to qualify for the target then because you're not getting paid out until you cash in the target tournament the variance is very similar to buying in direct. So it depends how many satellites you play and what your edge is in them (how many attempts on average it takes you to get through). If you have an edge though just keep playing them as that reduces the variance.
  • edited October 2014
    Imo, it's about assessing your success rate in the satellite and working on the basis that this is what it will cost you for the target MTT (cos that's what it will cost u longterm).

I.E. if you play a £3.30 sat into a £33 main, and on average it takes you 5 attempts to win a seat, you have to realise that you are effectively playing a £16.50 MTT (5*3.30). So if you are only rolled for £10 games and that is your success rate in 1in10s, then really you shouldn't be playing that £3.30 1in10 sat (if u wanna practice good BRM).

So if you wanna play the £7.20 (1in5) sats into the £33 main events... a decent success rate would be that it takes you 3 goes to win a seat. Therefore on average you're playing the main for £21.60. I think a decent rule for Sky MTTs is 50 BIs so to be playing those £7.20 main sats you should have about £1k+ imo.