You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should i be making delayed cbets with these hands?

edited November 2014 in The Poker Clinic
My intention preflop was steal the blinds because although the BB was short he seemed to be always waiting for that A or pair before playing and the SB might call but he will fold on flops.
having been called i now see a flop come K high with a flush draw and choose to cbet and it's when he then jams i'm questioning weather or not i should be cbetting in the first place.

When i did the cbet i didn't put any thought into a possible Ch/R, all i had in mind was either a call or fold. You could say my hand was probably played no different to how a hand like 72o, Ac8c or Ako would be played really except them ones would have an easy decision once raised.
a Small blind   200.00 200.00 9755.00
tight Big blind   400.00 600.00 3800.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

dewdicater Fold        
rich2010 Fold        
AngryPlate Fold        
craigcu12 Raise   800.00 1400.00 12722.50
a Call   600.00 2000.00 9155.00
tight Fold        
Flop

• K

a Check        
craigcu12 Bet   1000.00 3000.00 11722.50
a All-in   9155.00 12155.00 0.00
craigcu12 ?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    In Response to should i be making delayed cbets with these hands?:
    My intention preflop was steal the blinds because although the BB was short he seemed to be always waiting for that A or pair before playing and the SB might call but he will fold on flops. having been called i now see a flop come K high with a flush draw and choose to cbet and it's when he then jams i'm questioning weather or not i should be cbetting in the first place. When i did the cbet i didn't put any thought into a possible Ch/R, all i had in mind was either a call or fold. You could say my hand was probably played no different to how a hand like 72o, Ac8c or Ako would be played really except them ones would have an easy decision once raised. a Small blind   200.00 200.00 9755.00 tight Big blind   400.00 600.00 3800.00   Your hole cards K 5       dewdicater Fold         rich2010 Fold         AngryPlate Fold         craigcu12 Raise   800.00 1400.00 12722.50 a Call   600.00 2000.00 9155.00 tight Fold         Flop     6 3 K       a Check         craigcu12 Bet   1000.00 3000.00 11722.50 a All-in   9155.00 12155.00 0.00 craigcu12 ?
    Posted by craigcu12
    Very standard check back for me.

• edited October 2014
    if as you have stated it was your intention to steal pre flop     and u hit your k there is no reason not to c bet wot happens after that depends on      wot you have    wot they have     and wot u think they have

• edited October 2014
    Actually there are plenty of reasons not to cbet and not many good reasons to do so

Reasons for cbetting in general:

Value

Especially when we want to get stacks in. Betting flop gives us the best chance of getting enough bets to get all in.

Here there isnt much we can get value from. Villains value range will be mainly Kx and flush draws. Almost all Kx kills us and FDs will either have straight draws / gutshots or overs to the six and will often check raise. This means that when villain has a hand that we can get value from we will get threatened with our whole stack often by cbetting. And we do not want to get stacks in with our hand. We arent really going to be 3 barrelling this hand any way.

We can get value from any stray 6x or 3x in villains range, but again we are only going to get one or two bets in v those hands. We are more likely to get those bets in on turn and river and arent faced with stacks as often when we take the line od : check back and delay cbet when checked to or call villians probes  and barrels

When we cbet we allow villain to put us in a gross spot anytime he x/r. Be it draws, thin value, air or good top pair. And this is a good board to x/r.

Bluff

Here we have top pair and no need to bluff. We can induce bluffs by cbetting, but as discused above we'd much rather get our two bets in on turn and river as we dont get threatened with stacks / more than two bets as often. Also x/r represent 2nd order aggression: aggression over an aggressive action. We have a hand that would much rather face a wider range. Checking allows that.

A better way to induce bluffs is to check back. We face only first order aggression: aggression after a passive action, and can only be bet into twice as we close action on both streets, maximising our posiitional advantage in the hand.

Fold out equity share

Again we have noo need to do this. Villain has few redraws unless thet are FDs, and we dont want to face x/raises. We block some club combos and block some outs if he does have a flush draw. Checking actually allows villain to realise some equity. When we check we keep his range super wide and we actually want him to catch up. It is a high-fold equity board, and we dont want folds. Checking allows him a chanve to hit when he has J8, QT, T9 etc and to bluff with them when he misses. Inducing folds by cbetting is not what we want.

In general we should evaluate how many streets of value / bets we want in, what we can get value from and then be open to finding the best place to place our value bets. Here I think check back is much better than cbetting
  • edited October 2014
    Yup flop is a check back imo.
  • edited October 2014
    Yeah pretty standard check back. It's not like we can get 3 streets of value from our hand. Under reps our hand for future streets too.
  • edited November 2014
    What Teddy said