You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

burocracy

edited January 2010 in The Shed
due to the economic climate both my wife and I are on the dole. Not the end of the world but, as its the first time we have been enemployed and paid our taxes for over 40 yrs the least you expect is civility from the people who work in the job centre.

We went to sign on yesterday.£5.80 on the bus and a walk both ends of the trip in very slippery conditions.
My wife has arthritus in her knees and struggled to keep her balance,so I decided to ask what would happen if we decided it was too dangerious to travel to the dole office. The young lady we were seeing looked at us and said "if I can get here so can you".
I replied " but you are young and presumably fit , there is a difference"
She looked blankly at us. So I explained the cost to the taxpayer the treatment of people with fractures due to falls in current weather conditions.(I used to work in a hospital).

What a strange attitude to people during the present conditions.
Many schools closed.
Thousands of workers taking time off.
Severely disrupted public transport.

And yet, if you are nearly 60, arthritic and on the dole you are expected to travel to sign on. (for a pittance)

So what do you think? Is this reasonable or not?

Comments

• edited January 2010

Sounds harsh fella, what if ur really ill n cnt get outta bed?

Hypothetical one......If ur married and live with ya partner, n one is working and the other looking for a job, cud the other one claim anything until they find work? - Sum1 sed they can't as their partner is expected to support them.....I'da thought jobseekers allowance wud be there for people who are doing exactly that, seeking a job?

Is that right?

DOHH
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to burocracy:
    due to the economic climate both my wife and I are on the dole. Not the end of the world but, as its the first time we have been enemployed and paid our taxes for over 40 yrs the least you expect is civility from the people who work in the job centre. We went to sign on yesterday.£5.80 on the bus and a walk both ends of the trip in very slippery conditions. My wife has arthritus in her knees and struggled to keep her balance,so I decided to ask what would happen if we decided it was too dangerious to travel to the dole office. The young lady we were seeing looked at us and said "if I can get here so can you". I replied " but you are young and presumably fit , there is a difference" She looked blankly at us. So I explained the cost to the taxpayer the treatment of people with fractures due to falls in current weather conditions.(I used to work in a hospital). What a strange attitude to people during the present conditions. Many schools closed. Thousands of workers taking time off. Severely disrupted public transport. And yet, if you are nearly 60, arthritic and on the dole you are expected to travel to sign on. (for a pittance) So what do you think? Is this reasonable or not?  
    Posted by morse999
    Morse, I haven't signed on for 30 years and I really feel for you. When I did sign on I, and all the other unemployed, were treated like s**m and I doubt that it has changed much in the intervening years. The staff (not all) behave as if it is entirely your fault and you are just sponging.
    I wish you and your wife the very best of luck. I would also suggest that you call the Citizens Advice Bureau and explain your situation. I'm sure there are other options for you than both having to travel every time.