You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Suggestions for cash game goals?

edited November 2014 in Poker Chat
Hi guys I have just started playing more regularly on sky poker and thought I would introduce myself.  My name is Lucy (yes I have a girl profile picture and I am actually a girl!) and I live in London.  I have played poker on and off for a while but I am still a relative beginner.

Anyway I am planning on playing mainly low stakes cash, started out at 0.05/0.10 this week which is going well so far.

My question is - do you have any suggestions for what would be a good goal to work towards, maybe for my first month?  If it goes well I might turn it into a diary, you seem to like those round here :)

Comments

• edited November 2014
    best of luck ladyalbion

i wouldnt set yaself a monthly goal how about a target to reach this time next year

if ya playing 5p/10p blinds my advice is u should have atleast 20 bis so £200 in your account

a sensible target would be to reach 4 figures this time next year  if ya a gd cash player and multitable im sure u could do this so basically make a goal of £100 profit a month

im sure other people on the forum will give u gd advice aswell best of luck on the table
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Lucy, GL!
    Choose a target you're comfortable with and you feel you could achieve and enjoy! :)
  • edited November 2014
    I already prefer your diary to Lamberts.
  • edited November 2014
    Thanks Idonkcallu, yeah I am bankrolled for it, don't like playing with less than 20 buy ins, it makes me tilty when I lose!

I may aim for £50 this first month and see how that goes, if I can do that happily I'll aim higher.

Thanks mrsduck, I have lurked your diary a bit and really enjoyed reading!

hhyftrftdr - hopefully this will continue!
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Lucy, welcome to the forum!
    Setting goals can be a good motivator for some people but it doesn't work for everyone- chasing losses or being impatient can be pretty expensive...
    It's up to you but your main goal should be having fun, if you aren't then you've gone wrong.

Regarding cash play, for starters think about when you play- the lower stakes tables can get really soft on evenings and weekends. 

Secondly, work to your strengths. If you find situations that work for you then do your best to put yourself in them.
    (EG. I play like an idiot so I play short handed so I can get away with bluffing all the time)    

Thirdly, analyse your weaknesses. Work out the holes in your game then work on them (at micro stakes.)
    (EG. I used to have trouble against super agressive players and feel out of my depth heads up, now it's one of the better parts of my game)

I'm sure you'll do well,
    best of luck!
  • edited November 2014
    Cheers poppy, well I work a 9-5 job so I'm mainly going to be on evenings and weekends anyway.  I have started making notes on players so I can remember those that are easier to beat.

Strengths and weaknesses - yeah I definitely need to do this!

Just added up my totals for November so far and I am £75 up so far - happy with that!
  • edited November 2014
    Hi. Good luck. As for goals, I would  personally try and concentrate on playing well and making good decisions and letting the bankroll go from there. Trying to set targets can cloud judgement. 

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Suggestions for cash game goals?:
    Hi. Good luck. As for goals, I would  personally try and concentrate on playing well and making good decisions and letting the bankroll go from there. Trying to set targets can cloud judgement. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    You absolute hypocrite! ;)
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Suggestions for cash game goals?:
    In Response to Re: Suggestions for cash game goals? : You absolute hypocrite! ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I am well aware! But do as I say, not as I do! ;)