You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Satellite Improvements - Please Read Sky :)

edited November 2014 in Poker Chat
Since posting that ages ago, I figured maybe Sky might be restricted by the software in terms of implementing tourney tickets, but I don't think that's very important, it's the rest that matters. In terms of swapping to tourney tickets and people saying it may hurt sat grinders, I can't see it tbh. Take one of those dirty sat grinders (lol) like TommyD who goes round robbing all our satellite seats, I can't see how it'd have any impact. Instead of getting £55 cash or £110 cash, he'd get a ticket for that value, but is it really gonna matter? Only if he suddenly decides he's leaving the site and is never going to play another £55 BH or Roller. He'll just spend the token next time a comp of that value comes round instead of his own £££.

The only time it could make a difference is with stuf like VLV and £1k UKPC seats because if you get an extra £1k token, you could be waiting a while to use it... but they are rare and unique, I'm sure it wouldn't be very hard to treat these as stand alone events not subject to the same rules so cash would be available (if you are already regged).

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Tikay started a feedback thread after the UKOPS and a couple of people mentioned satellites which reminded me of a thread I started a while ago. I'll just C+P what I said there because nothing much has changed in terms of how things are atm and the improvements that I think are a good idea.......

Obv the SPT bit aint very relevant atm

==============================================

"The satellites need a complete overhaul and that's what would increase ME numbers imo. Firstly give tourney tokens, so u can play a sat whenever, win the token and play whenever. Tons of people can't afford a direct BI to the ME and can't play the nightly 6pm sat for the ME, whether it's due to working, having dinner, sorting the kids out etc. so they simply don't play the ME at all. But if they could play a ME sat at 10pm and use that ticket the next day, lots would.

If you're worried about overlay, maybe run them as SnGs. Maybe run them as 1in5s capped at 2 seats, so it runs when 10 people join, sure it wouldn't take too long to get 10 runners, then no danger of overlay cos if it doesn't fill, it doesn't run. Then as SnGs, they could just run 24 hours a day if the people wanna play them. Imagine how many runners a ME could get if there was potentially SnGs running throughout the entire day, every day. If they aint that popular, so what, they'd just sit in the lobby not being played like regular SnGs do now, and then you could get rid of them if after a prolonged period they were not running. But imo, I'd be shocked if you couldn't get at least 10 of these games to run every day... at 2 seats a go, that's 20 extra runners in every ME.... 20 more lots of rake (and there's rake on the SnGs too), and imo it's not being overly optimistic to expect them to run at least 10 times a day.

Same applies to the SPTs, look how few people are regged for it. Why aren't there non stop SnG all in sats? £6, 55 runners, goes when it fills, its not like you need to be at the computer for an all in sat, can reg in advance. Or non stop SnGs to win entry to the Semi or Quarter? boost the number of seats at each stage.

More sats, more sats. Maybe give them their own full tab so it's Cash, SnGs, Tournaments, and Satellites, then within that new group, you can have subgroups, 'Main Event', 'UKOPS', 'SPT' etc. If you do start tourney tokens then it'd be easier to just say this is a sat for an £11 game then people can use it for a variety of different games. And/Or you could have subgroups to split between scheduled sats and SnG sats. Don't really understand why all in sats aren't run as SnGs literally 24 hr a day, 365 days a year for every type of game.... people don't need to be there to play, so you could reg up 3-4 and even if it takes 5 hours for them to fill, so what, you come back later and find out if you got a seat. It's just a win-win scenario for everyone who wants to play them and Sky.
  • edited November 2014
    Yes pleeeeeease! Everything you said is perfect!
    I almost never play SATs because I can't play most evenings but I would play them constantly if I could get a token for a particular buy in tourney or play when you can MEs etc etc
    :)
  • edited November 2014
    The main thing that baffles me is WHYYYYYYY this isn't going on non-stop.

We've just come off the back of a UKOPS where Sky put on tons of extra satellites at all times of the day. Now for the first day or two maybe there was a small amount of overlay probably down to a lack of promoting them so at first no-one even knew they existed, after the first couple of days though, from what I saw pretty much 100% of the sats met/broke/smashed their guarantee (the ones I played between like 10am - 1pm anyway)

I get that for a big series like UKOPS Sky really wanna push to make sure they meet the bigger guarantees and of course it's necessary because they tend to be bigger BIs..... but the people that played these UKOPS sats day in, day out (it was pretty much the same names everyday) didn't just appear out of nowhere, I very much doubt many/any of the players actively went out of their way to make sure they were logged in at 10/11am to play those sats, they weren't new players signing up to try and sat into UKOPS, they were just regs already online playing their regular games.

So based on that, clearly there are the players there to easily meet the guarantees in the morning. I don't want this to come across as a rant/moan at Sky but it seems like they're just happy enough as they are, when surely it should just be a constant push to get bigger and better. These morning sats always run for UKOPS, UKPC, SPTs etc, so the numbers are there, so why aren't they running 365 days a year? 350 runners for a main is great, but 400 is even better. If the ME numbers are going up (they do seem to be) then that's great news, but it doesn't mean you should take your foot off the gas and not try to make them even bigger.
  • edited November 2014
    I'm sure this will get as much recognition as your 'how Sky can half dodge the new rules' thread a few weeks ago ;)
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Satellite Improvements - Please Read Sky :):
    Tikay started a feedback thread after the UKOPS and a couple of people mentioned satellites which reminded me of a thread I started a while ago. I'll just C+P what I said there because nothing much has changed in terms of how things are atm and the improvements that I think are a good idea....... Obv the SPT bit aint very relevant atm ============================================== " T he satellites need a complete overhaul and that's what would increase ME numbers imo. Firstly give tourney tokens, so u can play a sat whenever, win the token and play whenever. Tons of people can't afford a direct BI to the ME and can't play the nightly 6pm sat for the ME, whether it's due to working, having dinner, sorting the kids out etc. so they simply don't play the ME at all. But if they could play a ME sat at 10pm and use that ticket the next day, lots would. If you're worried about overlay, maybe run them as SnGs. Maybe run them as 1in5s capped at 2 seats, so it runs when 10 people join, sure it wouldn't take too long to get 10 runners, then no danger of overlay cos if it doesn't fill, it doesn't run. Then as SnGs, they could just run 24 hours a day if the people wanna play them. Imagine how many runners a ME could get if there was potentially SnGs running throughout the entire day, every day. If they aint that popular, so what, they'd just sit in the lobby not being played like regular SnGs do now, and then you could get rid of them if after a prolonged period they were not running. But imo, I'd be shocked if you couldn't get at least 10 of these games to run every day... at 2 seats a go, that's 20 extra runners in every ME.... 20 more lots of rake (and there's rake on the SnGs too), and imo it's not being overly optimistic to expect them to run at least 10 times a day. Same applies to the SPTs, look how few people are regged for it. Why aren't there non stop SnG all in sats? £6, 55 runners, goes when it fills, its not like you need to be at the computer for an all in sat, can reg in advance. Or non stop SnGs to win entry to the Semi or Quarter? boost the number of seats at each stage. More sats, more sats. Maybe give them their own full tab so it's Cash, SnGs, Tournaments, and Satellites, then within that new group, you can have subgroups, 'Main Event', 'UKOPS', 'SPT' etc. If you do start tourney tokens then it'd be easier to just say this is a sat for an £11 game then people can use it for a variety of different games. And/Or you could have subgroups to split between scheduled sats and SnG sats. Don't really understand why all in sats aren't run as SnGs literally 24 hr a day, 365 days a year for every type of game.... people don't need to be there to play, so you could reg up 3-4 and even if it takes 5 hours for them to fill, so what, you come back later and find out if you got a seat. It's just a win-win scenario for everyone who wants to play them and Sky.
    Posted by Lambert180
    The bit above describes me perfectly!

+1 to the sng sats as well.

The tourney tokens surely can be easily done - they can give you a free bet for Sky bet easily enough so a sky poker free "bet" must be reasonably straight forward?!
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Satellite Improvements - Please Read Sky :):
    In Response to Satellite Improvements - Please Read Sky :) : The bit above describes me perfectly! +1 to the sng sats as well. The tourney tokens surely can be easily done - they can give you a free bet for Sky bet easily enough so a sky poker free "bet" must be reasonably straight forward?!
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Yeah, I didn't post this just for selfish reasons but it describes me too.

I play in the mornings, but then kids get home from school just after 3pm, and so I'm with them, having dinner etc, and then getting them up to bed at 7pm so all ME sats are long gone by then unless I wanna punt an all-in sat.

Also, sometimes I'll be playing MTTs and I've bust a load and there's just nothing else worth regging at that point in the night... if I could flick in a couple of £12 SnGs (10 runners) with 2 x £55 seats, then I'd deffo play them and use them the following night.
  • edited November 2014
    Quite like booking myself in a main event without having to buy in direct or be on the computer pretty much as soon as I get from work.

The recent satellites for the double guarantee mains are perfect, although the structure is pretty slow.

So I'll be playing Monday's 16k BH ;)

If even one or two satellites were to go up for the £33 mains or £55 BHs a few nights before scheduled I'm sure they'd be a hit.
  • edited November 2014
    Quite like booking myself in a main event without having to buy in direct or be on the computer pretty much as soon as I get from work. The recent satellites for the double guarantee mains are perfect, although the structure is pretty slow. So I'll be playing Monday's 16k BH ;) If even one or two satellites were to go up for the £33 mains or £55 BHs a few nights before scheduled I'm sure they'd be a hit.
    Posted by bbMike

+1

I just finished the sat for next Thursdays B/H/ 

At 10 min blinds it did take a while, but I have to say I prefer that to the frenzy type sats, and the 9.15 time slot was perfect.

I almost had a divorce last week playing all the UKOPS sats around dinner time and leaving my wife to do everything ;-) 

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Satellite Improvements - Please Read Sky :) : +1 I just finished the sat for next Thursdays B/H/  At 10 min blinds it did take a while, but I have to say I prefer that to the frenzy type sats, and the 9.15 time slot was perfect. I almost had a divorce last week playing all the UKOPS sats around dinner time and leaving my wife to do everything ;-) 
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Must try harder next time ;)
  • edited November 2014

Tournament tokens are taking choice away from players, not giving them more choice. 

As long as you can take the value of the seat in cash when winning a sattellite we already have the most flexible sat system around. 

You can use the £33 for the target event, for 3 x £11 tournaments, 6 x £5.50 tournaments, sngs, cash games, bingo, whatever you want. 

Yes to more sats, big Nooooooo to tourny tokens ! 
  • edited November 2014
    Tournament tokens are taking choice away from players, not giving them more choice.  As long as you can take the value of the seat in cash when winning a sattellite we already have the most flexible sat system around.  You can use the £33 for the target event, for 3 x £11 tournaments, 6 x £5.50 tournaments, sngs, cash games, bingo, whatever you want.  Yes to more sats, big Nooooooo to tourny tokens ! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Very good point! More sats no tokens gets my vote :)
  • edited November 2014
    The lack of pee breaks while playing sats is a far bigger issue IMO 

That said i do agree with all points made
  • ommomm
    edited November 2014
    Sng sats are the best idea, big no no to tournament to kens though. Totally agree with that there is plenty more choice with the cash than tokens. 
  • edited November 2014
    Yeah good points, I agree about token tourney tokens actually, although like I said in my 2nd post, tokens aint the important thing, The most important thing is just having more sats, HAS to be better for Sky and the players.
  • edited November 2014
    As a small rolled rec short flexible sats are the best to tempt me into a M/E.

I think the tourney token/cash debate is all about trying to keep the sats as a cheap way of getting into bigger events. 

While the pros and rolled regs have as much as right to do that as anyone else, it does get a bit frustrating when you know they are already entered and just doing it for the cash sometimes many times. 

Presumably they only do that when there is overlay on the guarantee? Otherwise they would be entering all the small BI tourneys if it was just to play weaker fields and make money.

Therefore : +1 for SNG SATS

The more people +1 that here and in Tikays thread the more chance the suits will give it a try.

• edited November 2014
    Treating satellite wins as cash is fine if you have enough on your account to register to the target event before the end of the sat and get the cash as your prize and then you can un-register from the target.

I expect a fair proportion of those playing the satellites won't have that much though, and tokens might be a good idea for them.
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Satellite Improvements - Please Read Sky :) : Must try harder next time ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

If only I could afford it......;-)
  • edited November 2014
    I really like the idea of SnG sats. I think the only problem with having a cash prize instead a tournament ticket/token is that some regs will be grindng these and just taking the cash and not playing the tournament. This will put off the lower staked player in playing these IMO.
  • edited November 2014
    The biggest issue with sats is the lack of breaks.  There seems to be no consistency.  For example if a satelite starts at 8.30 and the event starts at 9 i can fully understand why there would be no break in the satelite.  The issue is sats starting at 6pm etc or even sats at 4pm on a sunday and having no breaks in them is absurd.  There will be people who refuse to enter these sats because there is no breaks therefore reducing the amount of seats for those sats because of it.  This has been an issue brought up many times and i really dont see why breaks cant be added into these sats.  Another example is the 7.15 ukpc quarter final sat which doesnt have any breaks at all.  
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Satellite Improvements - Please Read Sky :) : +1 I just finished the sat for next Thursdays B/H/  At 10 min blinds it did take a while, but I have to say I prefer that to the frenzy type sats, and the 9.15 time slot was perfect. I almost had a divorce last week playing all the UKOPS sats around dinner time and leaving my wife to do everything ;-) 
    Posted by HENDRIK62

I fail to see how this wasnt a win win situation for you then?

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Satellite Improvements - Please Read Sky :) : I fail to see how this wasnt a win win situation for you then?
    Posted by mewillows
    :-)