You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad Beats make me feel sick!!

Really struggling to get past some hands, they really affect me! I play very tight poker and wait patiently for my spot. I Seem to always do ok in tournaments but when it gets to near the end I get bad beats a lot! Because of the way I play I tend to always be ahead when the chips go in. Yet more often than not I lose. It hurts and I rack my brains on how to improve and what I should do? Or is it just bad luck when it gets to a certain point? Tonight I lost AA against 99 9 on river after 4 rags! its just poker eh? wouldn't mind winning a tournament though! I feel im capable do everything right and lose like this!! HELP!!! gutted poker player!!

Comments

• edited November 2014
    By the sounds of what you say your style is, it's gonna happen like this a lot.

When you play really tight, and just sit round waiting for big hands, then you're gonna be just folding lots, your stack will slowly be dribbling away and then when you get a hand and GII you're constantly going to be relying on winning races.

Even AA is only gonna be about 80% to win against a lot of hands so 1in5 times you lose. Now assume you keep folding down low and then everytime you get it in with AA, say you do this 3 times in a tournament.... you're only gonna win all 3 of those 1in15 times, need to do it 4 times in an MTT, now it's 1in20 times etc etc. So even though you may always going in as a big favourite it's easy to see how you won't go deep/win MTTs very often if you constantly rely on having to win races when your tournament life is on the line

I don't know if the above applies to you but it's definitely a problem a lot of people have in MTTs.

If you open up your game a bit, loosen up, get a bit more aggressive (these are very general suggestions ofc) then you can be winning lots of small pots without going to showdown every time and always needing to have the best hand by the river, and then when you take races it's more likely to won't be for a huge chunk/all of your own stack
  • edited November 2014
    Thank you for the advice lambert, would you suggest opening up and a little only in positions?
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Bad Beats make me feel sick!!:
    By the sounds of what you say your style is, it's gonna happen like this a lot. When you play really tight, and just sit round waiting for big hands, then you're gonna be just folding lots, your stack will slowly be dribbling away and then when you get a hand and GII you're constantly going to be relying on winning races. Even AA is only gonna be about 80% to win against a lot of hands so 1in5 times you lose. Now assume you keep folding down low and then everytime you get it in with AA, say you do this 3 times in a tournament.... you're only gonna win all 3 of those 1in15 times, need to do it 4 times in an MTT, now it's 1in20 times etc etc. So even though you may always going in as a big favourite it's easy to see how you won't go deep/win MTTs very often if you constantly rely on having to win races when your tournament life is on the line I don't know if the above applies to you but it's definitely a problem a lot of people have in MTTs. If you open up your game a bit, loosen up, get a bit more aggressive (these are very general suggestions ofc) then you can be winning lots of small pots without going to showdown every time and always needing to have the best hand by the river, and then when you take races it's more likely to won't be for a huge chunk/all of your own stack
    Posted by Lambert180
      Though i agree with most of what you posted here the highlighted bit has to be just about the most inaccurate figures i have ever seen.
     The actual figures are to win 3 out of 3 is 51.2%
                               and to win 4 out of 4 is 40.96%

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Bad Beats make me feel sick!!:
    In Response to Re: Bad Beats make me feel sick!! :   Though i agree with most of what you posted here the highlighted bit has to be just about the most inaccurate figures i have ever seen.  The actual figures are to win 3 out of 3 is 51.2%                            and to win 4 out of 4 is 40.96%
    Posted by Talon
    Sorry, yeah, rushed post. I was working it out 1in5 x 1in5 x 1in5, but that's the chance of us losing 3 out of 3, not the chance of us winning 3 out of 3.

But yeh ya get the point :P