You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Laptop cooling pads

edited November 2014 in Poker Chat
Ok so im having a problem with my laptop overheating and shutting down because of it. Thought it was the fan but i can hear it turning and pushing out the air but the laptop itself is still very hot.

So i'm thinking a laptop cooling pad may be the answer. Has anyone got any experience with them? or is there one you'd recommend?

Also is there any way to make your fan go faster? (I know cleaning it by using compressed air or cleaning in general will help so please dont suggest that lol)

Cheers
Jd

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Suffering similar so interested in any answers.
  • edited November 2014
    You may be able to make adjustments to the fan running speed from the BIOS setup screen.  You'll probably need to look at the screen when you first switch on the laptop to find which button press takes you into the BIOS menu.  It's usually something like Esc, F1 or Enter.

Probably best to see if you have a manual with the laptop which explains changing BIOS settings.

Failing that perhaps the application SpeedFan will help?

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

• edited November 2014
    i had the same problem about a year ago, i got my lap top cleaned inside ,,, weas caked in dust, that helped for a while, but now use a fan, got it of ebay for a couple of £.
    thats cured it
  • edited November 2014
    I had a similar problem took to local computer retailer for a service cost £25 all problems resolved.
  • edited November 2014
    I used a laptop cooling pad for quite a few months, but eventually took it apart cleaned all the dust & grime out of the fan & vents and it has been ok since.

Make sure you don't have the vents covered on the bottom too..........

Laptops were not designed for "Laps"

or "Sofa Arms"

or "Beds"

infact they are anything but a laptop lol

Medical Fact "Using a Laptop on your lap can cause medical problems with your reproductive organs"

Thankfully I don't play an "organ", but can strum a few chords on a guitar :) 
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Laptop cooling pads:
    I used a laptop cooling pad for quite a few months, but eventually took it apart cleaned all the dust & grime out of the fan & vents and it has been ok since. Make sure you don't have the vents covered on the bottom too.......... Laptops were not designed for "Laps" or "Sofa Arms" or "Beds" infact they are anything but a laptop lol Medical Fact "Using a Laptop on your lap can cause medical problems with your reproductive organs" Thankfully I don't play an "organ", but can strum a few chords on a guitar :) 
    Posted by POKERTREV

+1 i feel asleep with my laptop on my lap and woke up with 2 burns on my thigh, i hated laptops before that! but now i refuse to use them, gone back to standard desktop pc :)
  • edited November 2014
    I used a laptop cooling pad for quite a few months, but eventually took it apart cleaned all the dust & grime out of the fan & vents and it has been ok since. Make sure you don't have the vents covered on the bottom too.......... Laptops were not designed for "Laps" or "Sofa Arms" or "Beds" infact they are anything but a laptop lol Medical Fact "Using a Laptop on your lap can cause medical problems with your reproductive organs" Thankfully I don't play an "organ", but can strum a few chords on a guitar :) 
    Posted by POKERTREV
    is this straightforward to do?
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Laptop cooling pads : is this straightforward to do?
    Posted by mac24
    Fairly with the right screwdrivers.  There should be a how to guide on you tube to show you what to do
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Laptop cooling pads : is this straightforward to do?
    Posted by mac24
    As Cenachav said...it's pretty straight forward.

Watch a few guides on You Tube before you start, use the correct size screwdrivers and take a note of where you took the long and the short screws from, cause the last thing you want to do is put a long one in where a short one came out of and damage the board.

If in doubt, take it to your local PC Shop for a service.
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Laptop cooling pads:
    Ok so im having a problem with my laptop overheating and shutting down because of it. Thought it was the fan but i can hear it turning and pushing out the air but the laptop itself is still very hot. So i'm thinking a laptop cooling pad may be the answer. Has anyone got any experience with them? or is there one you'd recommend? Also is there any way to make your fan go faster? (I know cleaning it by using compressed air or cleaning in general will help so please dont suggest that lol) Cheers Jd
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Too much po rn fella

I bet your keyboard looks like a painters radio.
  • edited November 2014
    Thought I should post an update in case it helps anyone else.

Bought this cooling pad for £13 and a can of compressed air for £6. Cleaned out the fans using the compressed air and plugged in the cooling pad, since then i havent had any slow downs or shut downs (had 5 complete shut downs in the 7 days before I bought it).

Anyway this is the one I bought: