You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Pits - how to get out??

edited November 2014 in Poker Chat
Been struggling with my game for a month now

I play just low stakes mtt's in general and sat's but the amount of trash talk is getting to me and effecting my game even more

Playing today and guys consistently bring up sharkscope, making mum jokes and general bad mouthing.  That together with a big down swing is killing me - So i play on my phone but then that messes up my bet sizes and can not view lobby etc.

I love poker (Well did) and just need a bit of advise on how to get back on the happy train. 

Been close to jack ing it all in and would hate to go back to talking rubbish myself so would quit if ever felt the need to do that again.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Run well

Comments

• edited November 2014
    If the chat is getting you down and you cant ignore it then my advice would be just to turn that chat function off that way u remove that completely and its not a distraction and affecting your game.

also if peole are posting your sharkscope stats onto the game chat i believe they are breaking sky poker rules and u should report them.

hopefully removing this will improve your enjoyment of poker and the form will return with the enjoyment
  • edited November 2014
    Turn off chat and opt out of Sharkscope

Ignore chat, it's easy 
  • edited November 2014
    I don't mean to be harsh, but really? You're actually going to let some random degenerate gamblers spoil your fun? These people are playing from their bedrooms wearing nothing but underwear trying to decide which po*n site they should next browse. They haven't washed in over 2 weeks and they've forgotten what daylight looks like. 

If you let these people affect you, then yes, you should stop playing online poker immediately. In fact, you should probably quit life and reincarnate into something that doesn't have feelings or emotions because you clearly can't handle yours - perhaps an olive, or maybe a mug. 

And yes before someone chimes in (BATESY) - I do know about the stuff I wrote of in paragraph 1 from experience. 
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: The Pits - how to get out??:
    If the chat is getting you down and you cant ignore it then my advice would be just to turn that chat function off that way u remove that completely and its not a distraction and affecting your game. also if peole are posting your sharkscope stats onto the game chat i believe they are breaking sky poker rules and u should report them. hopefully removing this will improve your enjoyment of poker and the form will return with the enjoyment
    Posted by RLT16
    Yeah thought about turning it off but I am a loosin rec player, use scope to ensure I am on the straight and narrow and not going to wild and often set personal goals.

As for turning off chat, main reason I play is for enjoyment and talking to the regulars at my level. Turning off and just sitting in front of laptop not uttering a word is not my idea of fun.

Thanks for being constructive though. 
  • edited November 2014
    Regarding the chat and Ss. I don't like getting g involved with muppets in the chatbox, but if they are being really abusive I do respond, but never from a place of anger. That's only going to wind you up and effect your game, when in fact you want the opposite. Poke fun at them in a light hearted way, but don't get drawn in to a slanging match, and watch them self destruct. If you're getting stick about ss, remind them it doesn't take cash games into account so they don't know what they're talking about (even if you don't play cash lol). As for the downswing, when I feel I am running bad I read and remind myself the percentages in teaxs hold em! You are never really ever that far ahead. Try only considering hands where you are 95% when the money goes in as a " bad beat".

That's my little bit of advice. Hope you turn it round mate.
  • edited November 2014
    You don't need SS to keep track for you, do it yourself, set yourself limits and record results. You will need one pencil and one piece of paper. You may need to add additional pieces of paper at a later date. Surely it's a little deflating looking at a downward trend line all the time?

Having said that I've seen people get stick because they've locked their stats! So the only thing you can really do is switch off chat, ignore them, report them or play games they're not playing. Or grow yourself a thicker skin.

Worth having a think about why you're losing too, and find a couple of changes to make.
  • edited November 2014
    So unreal that players still berate other players for their ss stats,had 1 the other day that said hes hacked into it and can see everyones stats,i mean really get a life,chin up bud try and find a format that u like and have a bit of an edge in,and as for the haters and keyboard warriors,ignore report or give it back to them double barrels.
  • edited November 2014

Hi Nuggy

Sure the rest of the community will help with tips to get you back on track.

However, one thing that's worth saying again is that if you or anyone else do believe that someone has overstepped the mark in the chat box please do report it to customer care. Tell them the person who did it, the table / game it happened in and at what time. We will then take appropriate action.

And secondary to this, do please remember that someone quoting sharkscope is against our community / chat rules too so that is not acceptable either. If someone does that, please report it too. See here for more on that.

Best of luck with your game and thank you to the rest of the community guys who are helping you. Things like this help make the Sky Poker community great.

Thanks
    Sky Poker
  • edited November 2014
    Hi mate,
    been where you are many times, so don't think it is only happening to you.
    play a few dym's £3's  or less would be my advice & if u win a few quid from them use that to fund your mtt's
    freerolls are always cheap & fun so maybe worth a look. when things were really bad for me I just played them for a week or so, just to get out of the habit of losing  :)
    chin up mate, it will come good again.
    as to the chat box, I now play with it off only so I can concentrate fully, especially as I'm still trying to crack the £5's...again  lol
    just chat to players who you know or who you become friendly with, as to the others just ignore them, as giving any reply is exactly what they are waiting for, easier said than done though, isn't it.
    gl mate,
    dev

• edited November 2014

Hey mate goodluck with this, ignore the haters.
    Sharkscope is a crock of sh*** tbf. Only tells a small % of a persons ability.
    One thing I would say re scope is be aware of your average buyin, If your a small stakes player this should be around the £3 mark. If it's higher ask yourself WHY?? 
    Maybe the enjoyment comes out of beating the stakes your comfortable with, once we step out of these the games seem to be less so ;'))
    Rungood
    Jon
  • edited November 2014
    Sorry to hear you having a bit of a hard time nug. I've never understood the chat-box shenanigans and never will I suppose.
    If you fancy an escape from the lunacy, why not dip your toes into the PLO Hi Lo pool?
    It shouldn't take anyone, more than 30 minutes to read up on the rules and to have an understanding of what good starting hands are.
    Those 'moments' in the chat-box are so rare, they're almost non-existent. 99% of us take a bad beat like a grown-up.
    You never know, you might discover a game you really like too, gotta be worth a couple of quid to try it eh?

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: The Pits - how to get out?? : Yeah thought about turning it off but I am a loosin rec player, use scope to ensure I am on the straight and narrow and not going to wild and often set personal goals. As for turning off chat, main reason I play is for enjoyment and talking to the regulars at my level. Turning off and just sitting in front of laptop not uttering a word is not my idea of fun. Thanks for being constructive though. 
    Posted by Nuggy962
    I can understand that part of whats great about sky poker is there are nice people to talk to but just like every other forum of any kind on the internet there will be keyboard warriors, either doing it to set players on tilt or doing it because they are just generally that kind of person. Just try your best to ignore it, im currently grinding 2.25 Dyms daily. dont see a lot of abuse or nastiness there, if u fancy it come join me im always happy to chat :) 

I dont know if this is already in place but maybe an option to mute individual players should be added
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Nuggy

Dont listen to them just a bunch of *******

Use to get it myself as my SS use to be around -400 but have now turned it around.

If you dont want your SS to get any worse you have to use BRM

If you just wanna have fun just play the games you can afford to lose and block SS.

I use a spreadsheet to record my dyms e.g L or W then count them up every 100.

This might seem harsh but maybe its not a downswing just bad play look over Hand histories.

I went through a bad time a while back look through some of my hand histories and thought what the Hell was i thinking there.

Hope this makes sense.
  • edited November 2014
    Clear abuse and commenting on s/scope stats - just report it.

Any other form of trying to get at you for "bad play" rise above it.

I used to talk back with something like "well it should be easy for you to get all my chips, gl m8 XXX"

sometimes worked.

I think some "smarter" players will try and call you out to see if you know what you are doing - e.g. you had the odds to make that call, or you had reason to put them on a bluff etc. Must are just numpties though. Dont give them info and dont abuse back as you lose your focus.

If I see it going on at a table I will generally try and police it to some extent through chat or reporting.

Main thing as others have said is to make sure you are confident in your own game - query your own hands and post in clinic if not sure. Plenty of supportive people around to help on here.

PLO8 is a very friendly game (except when Macacgirl is playing v tikay of course)
  • edited November 2014
    Try playing the low stakes PLO8 DYM games (as mentioned above by Phantom), good fun and hardly ever any nastiness. Just keep the chat on and the first bit of abuse you or anyone else gets turn it off for that game then start again on the next.
  • edited November 2014

Nuggy.

Don't respond, just ignore. If you respond, you end up "biting back" & might even get yourself banned - I've seen that so many times. (See David Beckham in the World Cup a year or two back). They sometimes do it to deliberately rile you so you get banned. NEVER respond.

And as a few have said, come play a bunch of PLO8 DYM's, you'll never meet a friendlier bunch anywhere Online, honestly. They waffle a lot of nonsense, especially Maccgirl, but you'll never enjoy your poker more than with that crew.  

I've been in poker long enough to become jaded by the game, but once I started playing PLO8 DYM's here a year ago, I've never enjoyed my poker more & I can't wait to start my session every day. I've not played for a few weeks as I've been unwell, but I'm missing it like mad, & will be back very soon - hope to see you amongst us, & amongst friends.*

* Macac excepted, she is the Orford of PLO8.   
  • edited November 2014
    I have another amazing fact.
    I believe it is common knowledge that humans and chimps share 98.8% of the same DNA.
    However, did you know that humans also share ...
    80% DNA with a cow
    50% DNA with a banana
    That may seem surprising, but we also share 66% of our DNA with wheat.
    Given that Twiglets are a wheat based product, each and every single one of us, is in fact, two-thirds Twiglet.
  • edited November 2014
    Nuggy, I can assure you I've probably had more chat abuse on here than most! ;)

Please don't go back to your old ways, like you hinted at. Just take it on the chin (I have multiple chins to take it on so perhaps an advantage....) and get on with the game and enjoying yourself.

When you're having fun playing poker, the results generally tend to reflect this. Ditto for when you're not enjoying yourself at the felt.
  • edited November 2014
    Hey Nuggy - As everyone else on here has said, just ignoring them is best. It is amazing how brave some people can be from behind a keyboard. Reminds me of people that are extremly brave when with their mates v someone on their own, generally find they aren't as brave when they are on their own.

With regards to stats you don't need sharkscope, I keep a record of all my results (Cash, MTT, SNG) in a spreadsheet which I sort by buy-ins and format's so I can keep track of what my record is at all levels. I downloaded one called Kingsoft spreadsheets which is free, you only need to know a few basics and you can keep track of all your results. As I said I sort by the different games and keep results of each as the year goes on, but also get it to add up my nightly and monthly total wins / loses.

I am happy to e-mail you the spreadsheet I use if you want to PM me your e-mail address, you would just need to download the Kingsoft spreadsheet software.

Remember most people on here are friendly, especially compared to other sites.

All the best

Greg.
  • edited November 2014
    I have another amazing fact. I believe it is common knowledge that humans and chimps share 98.8% of the same DNA. However, did you know that humans also share ... 80% DNA with a cow 50% DNA with a banana That may seem surprising, but we also share 66% of our DNA with wheat. Given that Twiglets are a wheat based product, each and every single one of us, is in fact, two-thirds Twiglet.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I lol'd so much.

Pretty much proof for the theory of evolution.

But aside from the science, when I think about this post it will prevent me from tilting ever again!!! Hope it helps you too Nuggy
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Nuggy, just keep your chin up and keep plodding on, nothing else you can do...
    :) GL

• edited November 2014
    Hi mate,sorry to hear that some undesirables are spoiling your enjoyment of the game,there has been a lot of good advice on this thread which goes to show that most of the folk on here are kind considerate souls.there are a few ways to deal with this,first and foremost do not take what hey say to heart,they do not know you,they do not know your full history of poker and as others have pointed out they are just sad individuals trying to get a rise/ edge from you.
    I play poker for the fun of the game and have a good chat with decent folk,when the odd simpleton puts garbage in the chat box I feel sorry for them as they are quite obviously uneducated crank pots,I mean how can anyone comment on any particular play,or shark scope ( lol) which hasn't got the full picture,I mean it doesn't show my 15 k package I won;) I just had to mention it..feel free to berate me;)

On a more constructive note,please consider the advice given and enjoy yiour game,so what if you lose sometimes,we all do but as long as you play within your funds it's a great game.Let the small things go cos the big ones come along and bite you in the bum.good luck at the tables my good man.
  • edited November 2014
    wow wow wow

Thank you so so much everyone. Some of that advise is so basic yet so true.  You know what, call me mad, but I am going to give Omaha a go. Going to have a break over weekend and spend some quality time with mummy to be (just 7 weeks to go) read up on how to play hi lo and play a few DYM's just for the experience. 

On my phone today but come Monday will opt out Ss ( to be fair you guys have told me to do it before) 

Looking back at some hands..... Hmmm what was I thinkin indeed pre flop! Thereis one big leak there for sure ( one MTT I 3 bet every hand I played regardless of posistion)

I think sometimes I am nieve and forget what a great bunch we have on the community 

Thank you again for all of you who have taken the time to offer some encouraging words. 

See you at the tables guys 

Matt

• edited November 2014
    Yay! See you at the PLO8 tables soon then.
    After having a read-up, might be an idea to watch a game a game or two at the £3 level (this level plays to the same standard as the £5 and £11 tables) to give you an idea.
    The 60p and £1 tables sometimes run quite often too I think, strangely enough, the £2 tables, less so.
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy the game, pretty much everyone does who ventures over.