You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What's it all about, Neil Channing?

edited November 2014 in Poker Chat

For those who missed last night's Show, the various poker media sites that have made it known, or the Twitter feeds which are on fire today, Neil Channing has been appointed as Sky Poker Ambassador.

More follows, as to what has happened, what has been said, & the sort of things Neil will be doing with Sky Poker.

Comments

• edited November 2014

There are articles all over the internet about it now, here's one, which is a sort of Neil Channing Poker CV......

"Neil Channing joins  Sky Poker as Ambassador 

It was announced on Sky Poker TV last night that Neil Channing, very much respected throughout poker, has joined Sky Poker as their new Ambassador with immediate effect.  

Neil has quite a CV in poker, & sits 10th in the All-Time Money list for Great Britain & Ireland. 

He has no less than 33 WSOP Cashes, which includes 3 Finals & two runner-up spots, & of course famously won the Irish Open, collecting over €800,000.  

He also won a GUKPT Main Event, was 2nd in another, as well as 5 other cashes on the GUKPT Tour, & currently sits in 10th spot in the all-time GUKPT Money List.  

Fittingly, his last recorded live cash was in August this year, at the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC. 

More recently, he played 3 Events in the Sky Poker UKOPS, the highlight being 2nd of 469 in the Main Event for just over £6,500.  

Neil will be making regular appearances on Ch 861, Sky Poker TV, writing Blogs, & interacting on the Sky Poker Forum, playing Online regularly on SkyPoker.com, as well as representing Sky Poker at various Live Events, including the upcoming Sky Poker UKPC @ DTD in February.  

He joins Julian “Nicest Man in Poker” Thew at Sky Poker, where Julian is the resident Site Pro, so that’s quite a pairing. 

At a time when many Online Poker Sites are struggling to keep their traffic levels stable, Sky Poker traffic is increasing rapidly, & at a record high in all three formats, MTT’s, Cash & SNG’s.  

They also recently introduced “Touch ID” (log in via fingerprint on Mobile Devices) the first Online Poker site so to do.  

Neil won’t be able to use third party software on Sky Poker, as it is not permitted there, which is a big reason for its success, but that is unlikely to stop Neil continuing to succeed, as he is a firm believer in a level playing field."   
  • edited November 2014

And this appeared on UK PokerNews.com this morning...........

"Neil Channing joins Sky Poker as an Ambassador

British legend Neil Channing is now a Sky Pokerr Ambassador after he was unveiled during Sky Poker TV on Thursday night. Channing joins fellow British star Julian Thew in Sky Poker's stable.

With more than $3.4 million in live tournament winnings, Channing is one of the most successful British players of all time.

In 2008, Channing took down the Irish Open for a massive €801,400 score, which is by far the largest cash of his career so far.

Two years later, Channing finished second in the Grosvenor UK Poker Tour (GUKPT) London Main Event for £84,700 before going on to win the GUKPT Luton Main Eventt a few months later for an additional £64,050.

It isn't only on the United Kingdom circuit that Channing has excelled. The Reading-born pro has been a regular feature at the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas for many years, notching up 33 in-the-money finishes, three of which were final table appearances and two of those were runner-up finishes.

Quite fittingly, Channing's last came came at the Sky Poker UK 6-Max Poker Championships Main Eventt where he busted in 14th place from 500 entrants.

According to our sources at Sky Poker, Channing will be making regular appearances on Sky Channel 861, Sky Poker TV, writing blogs for the Sky Poker site and interacting with players via the Sky Poker Forum. Channing will also play online regularly on SkyPoker.com, as well as representing Sky Poker at various live events, including the upcoming
    Sky Poker UKPC at Dusk Till Dawn in February 2015.

Adding someone with Channing's experience and following as an ambassador is a great move by Sky Poker and I for one am surprised that nobody has snapped up the man known affectionately as “BadBeat” before now. Everyone at UK & Ireland PokerNews wishes Channing the best of luck in his new role."

• edited November 2014

Barny Boatman Tweeted this earlier today.....

"Congratulations to @SkyPoker for signing the great @SenseiChanning . I hope for their sake they're not paying him by the word."
  • edited November 2014

In plain speak, although I don't have all the details, obviously, Neil will.....

Appear on Ch 861 more frequently, & not just "Betting Preview" Shows.

Write the occasional Blog for Sky Poker.

Pop onto the Community regularly & field questions. He may not be able to manage all of them, but he'll do what he can.

Play Sky Poker MTT's from time to time. No fixed schedule, just "as & when".

Play Sky Poker Cash Games from time to time, again no fixed schedule. He said on last night's Show that he will more likely play 10p-20p& the like than £1 £2 stuff.

Represent Sky Poker at Live Events. He will certainly be at the Sky Poker UKPC in February. He will also be playing the Unibet "Golden Cash Game" next Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday @ Aspers in London.

Any questions fire away. I'll chat with Neil today & see what he thinks, but probably best if he starts an "Ask Channing" thread, as it will be easier to keep all the questions together that way.   

• edited November 2014

hmm maybe channing can implement some ideas from BBP.. live staking??? hmmmmm

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: What's it all about, Neil Channing?:
    Posted by LnarinOO
    I'll definitely be pitching in with ideas, it may be best that they don't follow all of my lunatic BBP ideas though. Don't want to bring the company down!
  • edited November 2014
    Welcome Mr Channing, a fine addition to the Sky poker team.

Sigh, I feel the need to add something sarcastic but I don't know what yet.

TBC....
  • edited November 2014
    Channing's Floppy Chops?

It has poker, hair and mouth references.

Perfect column name IMO.
  • edited November 2014
    Good afternoon Mr Channing.
    Excellent news on you becoming Ambassador for Sky Poker.
    I am a low level player, but love playing poker, normally play deepstacks.
    Would consider it a massive honour if you could find the time to participate in the £2.20 @ 2.20 deepstack.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
    p.s my idea for your  blog name is  CHANNING,S  CAULDRON
  • edited November 2014
    Good afternoon Mr Channing. Excellent news on you becoming Ambassador for Sky Poker. I am a low level player, but love playing poker, normally play deepstacks. Would consider it a massive honour if you could find the time to participate in the £2.20 @ 2.20 deepstack. All the best. Rainman397 p.s my idea for your  blog name is  CHANNING,S  CAULDRON
    Posted by rainman397
    You are relentless Rainy!

As it happens, I wrote to Neil today & told him all about you & your comp.

Fingers crossed.
  • edited November 2014
    Good afternoon Sir Tikay.
    Thank you for passing on information to Mr Channing.
    Would also be excellent if you could spare the time again, need a top player to take away Mr Orfords crown.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
  • edited November 2014
    Honestly can't think of anyone in UK poker more suited to this role more than Neil.

Everytime I've read a blog, watched an interview/the shows, chatted to him at poker events or have played against him I've always managed to learn something.

Well done to Tikay and the higher ups at Sky at getting this deal signed and look forward to doing a show with Neil soon or playing on the site with him!

• edited November 2014
    Echo all of the above, I always try and catch some of the live show when Mr Channing is on, definitely the best guest IMO.  Can only be a good thing to have him on the box more often.

Plus I do miss the blog articles from BBP so very much hope we get regular blog updates via this website moving forwards!
  • edited November 2014
    I haven,t washed my hand since I shook his hand in Nottingham :)
    welcome aboard Neil
  • edited November 2014
    Posted by LnarinOO
    I'd accept just ante's tbh 
  • edited November 2014

Great News for Skypoker going forward 

Cant think of too many more respected players around. (Orford top obv ;) )

Welcome to Skypoker Neil

• edited November 2014
    Had the pleasure/nightmare of being 2 to Neils left on day 1 of the UKPC.
    Really nice guy and a great signing by Sky Poker! 
  • edited November 2014
    Welcome aboard sir
  • edited November 2014
    well done sky and a warm welcome neil
  • edited November 2014
    Neil Channing. Ambassador for Sky Poker.
     IMO, Sky have struck Gold, and as sure as eggs is eggs
    Sky poker will prosper, I have no doubt about it'
    Welcome to my poker site Mr Channing. 

Regards Alan 

• edited November 2014
    Great Ambasssdor for a great site me thinks......anyone who has not seen Neil's apperances on the TV poker channel,should book a front row seat asap,comes over as a top bloke, who seems to love the game...and is so very knowlagable of how to play it...respect...very pleased..... :-)
  • edited November 2014
    Just to echo everyone else a great scoop by Sky. I have much respect for Neil especially after that excellent column he wrote about the ignoramuses  in that tourney in Vegas.
  • edited November 2014
    great addition to sky poker neil channing  ya a great poker player ive followed u a while now from late nite poker to poker million have come along way best of luck to you sir
  • edited November 2014
    What a great addition to the team, think this is a great move for both parties.
  • edited November 2014

Great addition welcome Neil.

can we have a few tips for the gg's please?
  • edited November 2014
    great addition to sky poker neil channing  ya a great poker player ive followed u a while now from late nite poker to poker million have come along way best of luck to you sir
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Deffo a great addition Steve, though I have to say, I don't ever recall seeing Neil in the original 6 series of Late Night Poker, but perhaps my memory is playing tricks. If he did play it, I'm sure I'll have remembered him talking....... 
  • edited November 2014
    Echo all said so far.... a good guy who says what he thinks looking forward to his future contributions.
  • edited November 2014

Welcome Neil!!!!

Good luck, am sure it will work really well for You & Sky!!

Hope to see you on tables!!
    [with position, I hope]

• edited November 2014
    Simply awesome addition to an already very good team. 

Well played Sky!
  • edited November 2014
    sorry tikay ya right i was talking about the late night poker a few years back not when it 1st started in the id 90s :)

http://youtu.be/u093pXFQ_DU