You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice

edited November 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all i would just like peoples opinions please. i am a profitbale player and enjoy playing but a few of my friends and fami;y dont agree with me playing as they say it is not a acceptable way of making money. I am studying at the moment and my logic is if i can make extra money playing then keep playing. Any thoughts on how i can address the issue

Many thanks Kerrnal

Comments

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Advice:
    Hi all i would just like peoples opinions please. i am a profitbale player and enjoy playing but a few of my friends and fami;y dont agree with me playing as they say it is not a acceptable way of making money. I am studying at the moment and my logic is if i can make extra money playing then keep playing. Any thoughts on how i can address the issue Many thanks Kerrnal
    Posted by Kerrnal
    Hi kerrnal.

Your logic is 100% sound, just so long as it is not interfering with your studies.

Why do they think it is an unacceptable way of making money?

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Advice:
    In Response to Advice : Hi kerrnal.   Your logic is 100% sound, just so long as it is not interfering with your studies. Why do they think it is an unacceptable way of making money?  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ihad the same problem with most people they think its just gambling.No matter what i say i cant convine them there is a lot of skill involved.I suppose you just have to put it down to people wanting to protect you ,which is understandable. T he truth of the matter though is theyre just a bit ignorant.no offence meant.
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Advice:
    In Response to Re: Advice : Ihad the same problem with most people they think its just gambling.No matter what i say i cant convine them there is a lot of skill involved.I suppose you just have to put it down to people wanting to protect you ,which is understandable. T he truth of the matter though is theyre just a bit ignorant.no offence meant.
    Posted by matrixxs
    Pretty much, yes, in some circles there remains a stigma attached to gambling.

I would use "naive" rather than "ignorant", but yes, they mean well.

We should also remember that a minority do let it get out of control, & lose money that can ill afford. For those, the advice is good, & well-intentioned.

The OP should simply show them his Sharpscope graph. That's not the result of luck, that's skill, & it's sustainable. 

"Mum, every time I play an MTT, I make, on average, 10 bob."  

• edited November 2014

Hi there

I think an important aspect to take into account is poker IS gambling.  Does not matter how good or bad you are l, will always have good days and bad days.

A big part of that conversation with family has to be around bankroll and enjoyment. Of poker is a hobby that you so happen to be earning some money on the side from then that's great. Problem will be if have a down swing and you need the money you could chase and then study time looses.

Would you get a part time job?  Maybe one eve a week to keep the family happy and then poker on the side?

If your a winning player over a time then just accept family members care about you and listen to their advise and compromise if it's possible. 

• edited November 2014
    Hi Tikay i think it is exactly that the stigma that it is gambling. But yes i think from what you are saying i should show them my sharkscope and explain the situation then hopeully they will be more understanding.

Nuggy: your advice is very sound i am working for my dad which is part of my course so maybe just some explaining that there is some skill involved will help the situation.

• edited November 2014
    Hi Kernal

Think it will be the same for many people, the perceptions to them playing poker.

Outside of the poker world, the general public don't really understand it and just see it as degenerate gambling.

Some people will just never understand it. If people disagree/ disapprove best just not to discuss it with them.

A lot of those who earn a living from the game even see poker as gambling.

In no way do I see poker as gambling. Guess it depends on the term "gambling".

Prob wrong but to me gambling there is only one winner - the house.

With poker clearly being a Skill game.

Maybe it's just the negative connotations of "gambling" why I would say poker is not gambling.
  • edited November 2014
    Poker IS gambling Larson, there is no 2 ways about it. It's just a different form of gambling compared to sports betting, roulette, the lottery etc etc.

You are risking X to try and win Y ultimately.
  • edited November 2014
    It sounds like its more their problem than it is yours, you can only explain to them to a certain degree, some people have a set in stone opinion of these kind of things and there will always be a murky stigma attached to poker in general... If you play very sensible stakes and take few risks then just explain to them that you wont ever go broke and that you do well at the game, and if you do lose its only money you can afford to lose..
  • edited November 2014
    Kernal, just show the doubters various threads in BBV, that will put their minds at ease ;)
  • edited November 2014
    The way I explain it is simple.....

Imagine a chess grandmaster playing a player almost at grandmaster level.

Although the player aspitring to be a grandmaster will win the odd game over 100's of games he will always be a loser.... the same as poker.

or ask them to bet a pound on 100 heads or tails flips.... but you get a 7 headstart before flipping 7%.

See how many times they win!