You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Turbo MTT's - How short can you get?

edited November 2014 in Tournament Strategy
Just after some thoughts on how short it is ok to go in a Turbo MTT, reason I ask is in last weeks Turbo Tuesday I was sitting around 15th out of 40 (roughly, can't remember exact figures) and had about 12 BB's, so stack of around 72K with blinds of 3K/6K. I min raised in Cut-off and BB shoved for about 35K, I call. Anyway, they had 89, flopped the straight and beat my KK - no complaints about that, it happens. I remember having 36K left next hand and was UTG (we were 5-handed I think) and I picked up J7s. With the 9K worth of blinds about to go through me I shoved and got looked up by the BB who had KK!!!

Even with 36K (6 BB's) left there were still around 8 people out of about 40 with the same or shorter stacks than me, so with stacks being pretty shallow is it ok to go down to say 4 BB's? Could I have folded the J7s UTG and potentially gone down to 27K with blinds probably soon to go to 4K/8K?

Would be interested in hearing a few thoughts?

Thanks

Greg.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Standard MTT's you are pretty much shoving anything sub 15bbs when you have a hand, but even then i think its fine to fold down to 7-8 bbs. i think in turbos you can allow yourself to go lower, personally i would have folded that UTG but definitely shoved it sb, button or cut off.. j9suited though would definitely be a shove utg just because you can get calling hands beat a lot easier... i really think it depends on the dynamics though, if everyone at the table has 5-20 bbs you may get your utg shove through with people wanting to hang on for the money, whereas if everyone is 10-40bbs then you will probably be getting called by any ace any pair and ace semi decent paint... also depends on the quality of the players, if you know them to be good players they will be calling off super light and going for the win, but lesser experienced players may not quite have that frame of mind and shoving would then definitely become a good thing to be doing.
  • edited November 2014
    Thanks for the input Jordz and well played on your big wins last night.
  • edited November 2014
    I think I can add something as I do quite well in these situations. I think you can get down to 4/5 BBs simply because blinds get so big. A few successfull shoves and your back in it. It's all about getting in first. Shoving sb/button/ cut off with anything (as long as your first in) is profitable. After that your hand needs to be stronger. 

Above all though, you have more time than you think. People do get carried away simply because it is a turbo. You can still be patient. 
  • edited November 2014
    Any time you get shorter than MattBates you're in some trouble and should be shipping ASAP!