You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

played badly...but is this an insta call?

edited November 2014 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ySmall blind 50.0050.004305.00
devonfish5Big blind 100.00150.001865.00
 Your hole cards
  • A

REDARROW61Raise 200.00350.001745.00
Frankie122Fold    
RumpyCall 200.00550.001745.00
yCall 150.00700.004155.00
devonfish5Call 100.00800.001765.00
Flop

yCheck    
devonfish5Bet 100.00900.001665.00
REDARROW61Fold    
RumpyCall 100.001000.001645.00
yRaise 650.001650.003505.00
devonfish5Fold    
RumpyFold    
yMuck    
yWin 1100.00 4605.00
yReturn 550.000.005155.00

Comments

• edited November 2014
    £5 dym
    y checks the flop
    not sure why i only bet 100 think it was a stopper/see where i am sort of bet
    had no notes on player y  but he had been quite busy & aggro.
    felt i was probably good here but would have felt silly if y had shown me a better hand, so reluctantly folded to find a better spot.
    as it happens i ran into KK twice on the bubble & lost  :(
  • edited November 2014
    100 lead is pointless and leaves you wide open for being taken off your hand. Should never really be betting to ''see where you are''.

Folding what you think is the best hand not to look silly? Really?

Would've thought it was a simple check call the flop and go from there.
  • edited November 2014
    i did say i played it badly hh  lol
    yes the 100 bet i can now see was pointless.
    ok maybe silly wasn't the correct phrase but you know what i mean. i didn't want to lose a game with just tptk when there would have been other spots i could find later.
    check calling the flop would have been just as bad i think, as all the chips would still have all gone all-in at some point, probably.
  • edited November 2014
    So what then, you peel A10d, 10 high flop and you just wanna fold to a single bet?

Should probably just fold pre if that's the case.
  • edited November 2014
    yep, that's a good point.
     but for just 100 chips more, having invested 100 already from the big blind isn't it worth a look with A10 suited? it must be with 700 chips in pot.
    i'm thinking it's my post flop play that is possibly in question here?

should i have bet 1/2 pot ie; 400 chips on flop? or would the check have been better?

in each case what should i do if re-raised or set all-in?

i don't play oop very often as you can tell  lol
  • edited November 2014
    Think its a pretty easy flop check and pray for a free card which is a nice turn (A/10) a diamond etc. Wouldn't be putting any more chips in as played however, small blinds range will be very wide and after raising the flop at worst I expect him to have pair+straight draws again all dependant on notes, so even against hands we beat we aren't in great shape (note dependant obviously, some may go crazy with K10/Q10)

Dont understand your donk min bet at all if you are folding to a raise. Screams to be taken advantage of
  • edited November 2014
    Why would you lead half pot here?

I think most are checking this to the PFR. Chances of getting a free card are probably quite good.

Look, I don't think anyone folds pre. Just give up poker if you do. Granted, multiway we might want to be looking at smashing a flop as opposed to hitting it sideways like this. Leading out with any sizing here is a mistake IMO. With one diamond on board and TPTK, I think we need to see what others do and go from there. It might well be bet and raised before it gets back to use, so easy fold. It might be checked through and we hit a gin turn card. To lead then fold is just pointless.

Thoughts on shoving pre? I don't play with these guys so no idea on their game, but we realistically only have to get the shove through RedArrow, as the others have pretty capped ranges. There is about 40% of our stack in the middle, and the chance to get it without even seeing a flop. Unlikely to get looked up by worse but can fold out plenty of flips.
  • edited November 2014
    thanks Matt, hhy,

why would i 1/2 pot lead here? because it's better than how i played it? by taking the lead in the hand & showing some agression,(how i usually play), 
    i now know that the check is ok for next time.

this is not a common hand situation going 4 way to the flop especially at the £5 level, so i was unsure as to my best play v 4 opponents.
    yes, shoving pre is an option but is it worth the risk?
    we have no idea what redarrow has and many are happy flipping with some kind of pair, even at this level.

• edited November 2014
    Check flop. You dont do well when called, esp with that many players in the pot, esp oop.

You're going to be played back at often. Very standard check. even if you were in position, the original raiser and heads up youd be probably better off checking
  • edited November 2014
    I would be shoving pre, so much dead money to pick up and i think we only get called from 1010+ and id say we would take it down pre 80% of the time as people hate calling off shoves in DYM's even if he shows up with jj/qq/kk you aint in bad shape i think the reward of shoving outweights the risk here.....

As for the the flop, id check and call a reasonable bet and then if we are bet into again on the turn we can give up unless we have improved at all.
  • edited November 2014
    thanks Teddy, jordz.

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: played badly...but is this an insta call?:
    I would be shoving pre, so much dead money to pick up and i think we only get called from 1010+ and id say we would take it down pre 80% of the time as people hate calling off shoves in DYM's even if he shows up with jj/qq/kk you aint in bad shape i think the reward of shoving outweights the risk here.....
    Posted by jordz16
    5 handed and we have 18.5bb, there is no point in taking any risk at this stage of a DYM with A10s. Easy call pre and evaluate on the flop
  • edited November 2014
    I'd say the reward of shoving and likelihood of getting it through far outweighs the risk. Perhaps that's with my tournament blinkers on though.
  • edited November 2014
    thanks again Matt, hhy,

looks like it's a pretty close call for the aipf
    I am leaning towards the check call though.
    would be interesting to see what more dym players think.

• edited November 2014
    I'd say the reward of shoving and likelihood of getting it through far outweighs the risk. Perhaps that's with my tournament blinkers on though.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Definitely tempted to shove if this was in an MTT scenario. DYM a no no 
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Dev

I think a shove pre is ok 80% to 90% everyone folds.

But i think most of the time i just bin it, in a dym i feel it doesnt play too great 4 handed.

I would rather be calling with a PP trying to set mine.

Playing A10d any Ace on the board i think we would get into trouble, one of the other 3 may have a better kicker.

Also we have loads of chips behind if we fold there will be a much better spot.
  • edited November 2014
    Think a shove pre is probably good.

As above, it just makes no sense why we would donk bet the flop at all imo (putting aside the sizing issue).

Few really flawed thought processes from you in this thread, like 'not wanting to lose a game with TPTK'...

1) How do you know you're gonna lose?
    2) Forget about the finite strength of our hand and think about the relative strength of it. Sometimes TPGK is effectively the nuts, sometimes top 2pr is just never good.

I'd c/c a reasonable bet size and re-assess on the turn depending on how many called the flop, who it was that bet the flop, what the turn card is etc. Remember, you said if you c/c it's all gonna do in anyway, well that just isn't true. So many people are gonna cbet here with say AK then just completely lock up when called (if they don't improve), likewise someone may cbet JT here and then slow down to keep the pot under control etc. Just cos someone bets the flop doesn't mean they're firing 3 barrels everytime.
  • edited November 2014
    THANKS  Matt, Stuart, Paul

unlike you Paul i'm not a professional & making mistakes/not thinking correctly is an everyday thing, as here., but i take your points on board, & from everyone.
    i didn't know i was going to lose, i said i didn't want to lose with tptk, i think.
    I did think about shoving pre-flop but thought i would possibly only get called by better or a strong draw, & knowing i could find better spots later, decided to reluctantly fold.
    post flop again nearly went all-in but bottled if you like for the same reasons above, but was thinking at the time this could be my best chance of getting chips i needed to cash, & even as i folded thought it was possibly a mistake, hence my reason for posting this hand, as i thought it was interesting for a few reasons.

anyway, i've learnt from it, so that it good.
    c/c next time i think, or even fold p/f Stuart  :)

thanks all for your advice, appreciated.
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: played badly...but is this an insta call? : Definitely tempted to shove if this was in an MTT scenario. DYM a no no 
    Posted by Matt237

surely it gets through far more often in a dym?? i dont play 1000's of dyms a month but i think adding a 1/4 of a stack to yours by making a shove that gets through 90% of the time is great value especially with the ace blocker, getting above average stacks is important in dyms as you want to be able to put pressure on people and you dont wanna get to the point where you are having to get shoves through to stay in, id much rather take a slight risk with sub 20bbs than i would take big risks when i get down to sub 10,... with 2.5/3k chips its so much easier to play than it is with under starting stack.
  • edited November 2014
    it was tempting to shove jordz but players do call quite wide with draws. it's possible y even had 2 pairs or even a set too.
    then there were the other 2 players to consider 
    I think you could make an argument for all scenarios on a hand like this, which is out of the normal, that being to shove allin pre-flop for an all-in on the flop...possibly or the c/c...
    obviously how i played it by betting 100 & opening the betting was a mistake & next time i'll know to check here.

• edited November 2014
    Jordz is talking about shoving pre not postflop. It's partly down to how much people understand about ICM/DYMs but if you shove pre they should deffo fold JJ, pretty sure they should fold QQ, and AA/KK are about the only hands they 'should' call with... obviously most people don't play like you 'should' so gotta take that into consideration.

Fwiw, I make a ton of mistakes every single day, almost every single player in the world does, professional or not.
  • edited November 2014
    ty Paul,
    yeah, realised that after i posted but no worries just one more mistake to add to my collection, ha ha.
    i appreciate your posts, truly as i do from everyone else
    sorry if i came across as being a bit funny with you earlier, your post obviously pointed out things i dodn't know, also the bleedin obvious too, so sorry again for that.
    i'm obviously still learning as i go, like most of us i guess  & sometimes i can/do take things to heart, which i know i shouldn't, but i can't change the way i am made, or how i'm feeling at any particular time, so apologies to you Paul & everyone  else for that.
    i'm loving the £5 game challenge right now & if i get any more interesting hands to post, i will.
    cheers again for everyone's help...it really is very much appreciated.
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: played badly...but is this an insta call? : surely it gets through far more often in a dym?? i dont play 1000's of dyms a month but i think adding a 1/4 of a stack to yours by making a shove that gets through 90% of the time is great value especially with the ace blocker, getting above average stacks is important in dyms as you want to be able to put pressure on people and you dont wanna get to the point where you are having to get shoves through to stay in, id much rather take a slight risk with sub 20bbs than i would take big risks when i get down to sub 10,... with 2.5/3k chips its so much easier to play than it is with under starting stack.
    Posted by jordz16

Just dont see the point in taking any risk whatsoever at this current blind level given stack sizes (5 handed, 4 players w/ 1.6-1.9k start of hand). Each to their own obviously but think tight is definitely right in these spots. It will get through here way more than in an MTT but again i'd rather minimise the risk in a DYM spot. Obviously all depends if you have reads or not, some people are not going to understand ICM.

• edited November 2014
    Hi Dev I think a shove pre is ok 80% to 90% everyone folds. But i think most of the time i just bin it, in a dym i feel it doesnt play too great 4 handed. I would rather be calling with a PP trying to set mine. Playing A10d any Ace on the board i think we would get into trouble, one of the other 3 may have a better kicker. Also we have loads of chips behind if we fold there will be a much better spot.
    Posted by stuarty117
    You would prefer to peel a small/mid pair here? Id say thats a pretty big leak in ur game if ur set mining with 18bbs esp in a dym when chip presevation is crucial, a10s flops pretty good and we can check ship on some good flops and make better hands fold, 6 months ago i would of said ship pre but I think a peel is ok here for reasons stated above, flop lots of good draws etc. Deffo check calling flop and re avaluating on the turn, lead on flop just opens u up to getting pwned.
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: played badly...but is this an insta call? : You would prefer to peel a small/mid pair here? Id say thats a pretty big leak in ur game if ur set mining with 18bbs esp in a dym when chip presevation is crucial, a10s flops pretty good and we can check ship on some good flops and make better hands fold, 6 months ago i would of said ship pre but I think a peel is ok here for reasons stated above, flop lots of good draws etc. Deffo check calling flop and re avaluating on the turn, lead on flop just opens u up to getting pwned.
    Posted by K8LOU

Hi K8LOU

Yes i said i would rather play a PP, but didnt actually say i would play it. I would fold this hand pre and fold most PPs at this stage of a DYM. A10 really we are hoping to hit a straight or a flush. 

Other stages are better to play PPs.

In my experience if you shove at this stage with 4 in the pot someone will call. e.g. Someone with 66 for example and that means its a flip. I think its too early to flip.

Dev says the player was very loose so i think he would have called a shove. In my experience its a fold pre.
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: played badly...but is this an insta call? : Hi K8LOU Yes i said i would rather play a PP, but didnt actually say i would play it. I would fold this hand pre and fold most PPs at this stage of a DYM. A10 really we are hoping to hit a straight or a flush.  Other stages are better to play PPs. In my experience if you shove at this stage with 4 in the pot someone will call. e.g. Someone with 66 for example and that means its a flip. I think its too early to flip. Dev says the player was very loose so i think he would have called a shove. In my experience its a fold pre.
    Posted by stuarty117
    Hey mate, I have just read my post and it seems like I have come across as being really rude to you, this was not my intention mate, was just stating my opinion.
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: played badly...but is this an insta call? : Hey mate, I have just read my post and it seems like I have come across as being really rude to you, this was not my intention mate, was just stating my opinion.
    Posted by K8LOU
    No not all all mate i love talking about dyms if it makes me better.

• edited November 2014
    Fold pre for me to early to start shoving!