You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What do you do in this spot - MTT close to Final Table

edited November 2014 in The Poker Clinic
MTT with approx 200 entrants - 13 players left so close to the Final Table.

I am under the gun with approx 30 Big Blinds, I have A/K suited and min raise.

Under the Gun +1 calls.

Under the Gun + 2 who is the chip leader with a huge stack re raised (to 5 big blinds).

Folded round to the player in the Big Blind who with an approx 20 big blind stack shoves all in.

Back to me with my A/K suited.

What do you do in this spot?

Comments

• edited November 2014
    In Response to What do you do in this spot - MTT close to Final Table:
    MTT with approx 200 entrants - 13 players left so close to the Final Table. I am under the gun with approx 30 Big Blinds, I have A/K suited and min raise. Under the Gun +1 calls. Under the Gun + 2 who is the chip leader with a huge stack re raised (to 5 big blinds). Folded round to the player in the Big Blind who with an approx 20 big blind stack shoves all in. Back to me with my A/K suited. What do you do in this spot?
    Posted by MATT8
    Shove-and pray!
  • edited November 2014
    Chip leader is going to reraise will all manner of holdings as there is dead money in the pot and you are near the FT bubble, BB has money invested in the pot and will shove any pocket pairs and lots of hands you have dominated (most Ax etc.) as that 200 BB stack will soon dwindle. UTG+1 would likely have at least raised anything stronger than you (although you haven't included his stack).

You just need to ask yourself do you flip now or later, at some point you will need to commit the chips, for me its a shove but perhaps other more seasoned MTT players will have differing opinions. I look forward to hearing their thoughts.

Neil
  • edited November 2014
    It's a v close decision I think. BB's range here should be AK, JJ+ minimum if he's a good player. We've only invested 2BB and whilst the chip leader could be 3-betting light him and UTG+1 could be holding an A or a K and reducing our outs if we end up GII vs BB who has a pair. Off-suit AK I would fold but I think suited I might go with it. If BB had less BB's as well (15BB or less) I would definitely be going with it.
  • edited November 2014
    Yeah what Ivan said. It's close. I think trying to get a good stack to cruise to the FT, plus it being suited, makes it a reshove.

If chip leader calls as well then pray to the poker gods!
  • edited November 2014
    If you want to win the tournament then ship, if you want to make the final table then fold.

i think im always looking to get it in pre if i have ak suited and 30bbs if i had 40bbs i can find the fold, and if i had ak off then i find the fold.. but ak suited too good to chuck it i would say. 
  • edited November 2014
    There is another question that no one has touched on. How hard is your table? Do you feel comfortable and able to pick up small pots? Or is it hard and not many spots with lots of raising and reraising?  If former then we can pass as we are still comfortable but if it's latter then we may need to gamble more and go with it.