You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Could I have done better here?

edited December 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Sunday Mini

Blinds 100/200
Have 4015 chips

On button with 

• A

All Folded to meRaised to 600
SB Calls BB Folds
Flop

SB Checks.I push all in (3815)
SB Calls with
   10A

Turn 8River 10!!
Button raise with A 4 I think is OK ??
Biggest question is should I bet less on the flop and try and save some chips ?
Drazz

Comments

• edited December 2014

hate to say it drazzi but I think going all in on the flop is the worst option. You are pretty much never getting called by a worse hand (I know the above contradicts this but whatever!).

Lets go from the top.

Think you can raise less on the button. You only have 20bb to start the hand, so really don't need to be making it 600. Min raise, maybe slightly more, is fine, certainly not over 500. 400-450 seems about right.

It's a reasonable flop for us, I'm kinda in 2 minds whether to bet or check this. Will depend on the tendencies of the caller in the blinds. Think it's important to note that we don't have to bet this flop, perfectly fine to check behind. We have a pair, we might well be ahead but it's pretty hard to bet for pure value. A lot of hands that peel from the blinds will be in or around this flop, so probably ain't folding to a single c-bet. This would make me lean towards checking back in position, as we really don't want to be bloating the pot with a short stack and a marginal hand. Also worth bearing in mind we've outflopped a lot of Aces that didn't 3bet pre flop, and can potentially extract value from them on a later street.

If you do bet the flop, you wanna be going for around 40-60% of the pot. This is why pre flop raise sizing is important. The more we raise pre flop, the more expensive our c-bet is gonna be on the flop (if we make one).
    If you'd gone min raise pre, the pot is 1000 and we can bet around 500. By making it 600, the pot is 1400 so our bet is significantly more. When you're down to the 20bb mark, you really don't wanna be having to make large cbets! It eats into our stack too much, and chip preservation is crucial when short stacked.

Hope this is food for thought.