You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

will there ever be a time bank on sky or are we stuck with a blue line?

edited December 2014 in Poker Chat
without the time bank i always feel too concerned about getting timed out to really think about hand ranges.

until we do see a time bank (if we do), anyone have any advice about thinking of the opponents range without getting too concerned of that timer running out

Comments

• edited December 2014
    you should have a rough idea of range as soon as the first aggresive action is made, then the range will only get narrower and narrower as you play down the streets, so i dont think we would really have any need for a time bank, 

if sky was to do a timebank option for say an extra 30secs which can be used once or twice a tournament then i wouldnt have a problem with that but i think part of online poker is the ability to make the right decisions quickly and a timebank will just take away that skill
  • edited December 2014
    actually it's not 30 second only 15 seconds and what i hate about this timer is that it sticks right out in front of your face so when looking at the street you'll likely be forced into rushing because of that timer as that timer will be going down right in front of you.

is their any way you can set the time to look exactly like it looks when others are doing something (a blue bar going round the alias)?
  • edited December 2014
    What's the point Craig? You could make the timer a clock counting down in seconds or any number of different variations but at the end of the day if you've got 15 seconds to act, it doesn't matter what it looks like, you still got 15 seconds.

Making decisions faster, putting people on ranges faster etc, is something that will come with time and experience. There are plenty of people on Sky (me included) who can comfortably play 10 tables and not run out of time so it is very possible, it's just a case of practice. Maybe just take a step back with the tables, if 6 is pushing it for you, try 4 for a while and no doubt you'll get to a point where you're so comfortable that you start to think 'god I'm sat here bored waiting for something to do' then you know you can add another 1 or maybe 2, and just move it up slowly.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: will there ever be a time bank on sky or are we stuck with a blue line?:
    you should have a rough idea of range as soon as the first aggresive action is made, then the range will only get narrower and narrower as you play down the streets, so i dont think we would really have any need for a time bank,  if sky was to do a timebank option for say an extra 30secs which can be used once or twice a tournament then i wouldnt have a problem with that but i think part of online poker is the ability to make the right decisions quickly and a timebank will just take away that skill
    Posted by jordz16
    Because giving yourself more time to think hinders your ability to make the correct decision.

Jordz your a winning player - I assume you play multiple tables - very often you need time to think - expessially when given your decision is often based elsewhere before you come to this table. 
  • edited December 2014
    in the last hour i've played on another site. in my session i had 4 tables up at once and not once did i feel concerned about the time.

the difficulty i find here is you see a blue bar getting short and it's not long before you begin to rush concerned about the timer.

on cash it's not that much of an issue because the tactic there is just consistantly wait for them premium hands, in an MTT you need to take greater risks and as i saw when i exited with that AK my mind was was simply thinking things like QQ and 1010 would fold AA is 3bet preflop, so just defend from flush draws and i just got too concerned about timing out that i forgot about the chip to pot ratio and his chip stack aswell as KJ JJ and the sets from flop.

the fact it's a great community i would hate to leave this one but i'm thinking i might move over and make that other one my main site and just use this one as fun.
  • edited December 2014
    If they ever added a time bank here id never play the site again personally nothing is more annoying than having someone run the bar down.

As lambert states maybe your playing to many tables and you cant focus enough there are many players who can multi table no problem only time and thing a time bank would be of any bonus is final tables of the bigger mtt tournies otherwise id say there pointless.
  • edited December 2014
    really i don't think a time bank is needed myself, all i would say is perhaps set it up in a manner where the timer is just going down on the alias and once it gets down to 5 seconds then put an alert telling you to hurry up.
  • edited December 2014
    well i've put a thread up in feed back and suggestions about  a timer which is left on the alias then when it's down to the final 5 seconds an alarm will sound and you now need to hurry, that way we'll have non of this abuse of time banks and we'll also not have a timer right in our face.
  • edited December 2014
    In response to the original question, no way. Time banks would just annoy recs playing 1 table.
  • edited December 2014
    I don't see the harm in having a time bank... appreciate it is needed rarely, but if we're talking about having 30 seconds throughout the whole of a tournament then it isn't exactly intrusive to the overall game.

It then gives a bit of extra breathing room at that inevitable point where you get two tough spots simultaneously and as you finish thinking through a hand on table 1, are currently left to instinct-click a button on table 2 rather than consider where you're at.

Of course, to offset any minor inconvenience to recs, you could offset this with a reduction in 'normal' decisions from 15secs to 10secs and speed up the overall game.
  • edited December 2014
    No time bank.

It will slow the games down even more, its 6 max. No need to have a minute to mull over a move. just play.
  • edited December 2014
    Is the suggestion that you're going to leave the site because a graphic is putting you under too much pressure? When you massively overbet that turn I thought you'd mistyped your bet and shoved by mistake. The problem shouldn't be time here (unless other tables meant you only saw the action with two or three seconds to spare), it should be that you consider turning TPTK into a bluff in a 100BB pot in the roller because you want to fold out TT QQ and any draws.

Having said that, I have found 30secs extra to use throughout a tournament to be useful in the past, though wouldn't have wasted it trying to work out how best to continue with AK on that board.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: will there ever be a time bank on sky or are we stuck with a blue line?:
    actually it's not 30 second only 15 seconds and what i hate about this timer is that it sticks right out in front of your face so when looking at the street you'll likely be forced into rushing because of that timer as that timer will be going down right in front of you. is their any way you can set the time to look exactly like it looks when others are doing something (a blue bar going round the alias)?
    Posted by craigcu12
    Seems like you need to work out a way of ignoring it "being in your face" rather than the site do anything different.

Most of the problems people face is clicking buttons without a plan for later streets or actions by opponents. For example 3b or 4b without knowing what your doing if opponents raises you. I think while a timebank would help in certain spots, the number of times it would be of benefit would be outweighed by timebanking at bubble time (even when its H4H!) and people adding in tables as they have a timebank and slowing down tables by constantly using their timebank for mundane decisions.
  • edited December 2014
    No.

A time-bank would only aid multi-table grinders or those who deliberately stall. Cash games, tournament bubbles and DYMs would all be negatively affected.

I could see an argument at nosebleed stakes perhaps, but for the vast majority of games played on Sky Poker there is absolutely no need for a time-bank in my opinion. The current blue bar is always enough time for me.
  • edited December 2014
    I wouldn't be against a 30 second time bank to be used throughout a tournament, just occasionally you need those few extra seconds to think.

Would definitely say no for cash games though.
  • edited December 2014
    Time bank for Main Event final tables? Just an extra 10/15 seconds?
  • edited December 2014
    If they ever added a time bank here id never play the site again personally nothing is more annoying than having someone run the bar down. As lambert states maybe your playing to many tables and you cant focus enough there are many players who can multi table no problem only time and thing a time bank would be of any bonus is final tables of the bigger mtt tournies otherwise id say there pointless.
    Posted by kidwiz10
    So you wouldn't play on a site cause it has a timebank when virtually every other site (certainly every site ive ever played on) has timebanks
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: will there ever be a time bank on sky or are we stuck with a blue line? : So you wouldn't play on a site cause it has a timebank when virtually every other site (certainly every site ive ever played on) has timebanks
    Posted by The_Don90

Yea hence the reason i play on sky? it has no "timebank" people would take the pi ss constantly use it and it would slow the games down way to much  , If there is many players who 10+ tabling who can manage the clock as it is then im sure those who 1/2 table can easily cope.

Only time the time bank should be introduced if ever is for the final table mains which still wouldnt be for my benefit but for those who it may help but to be added on cash tables would be terrible indeed.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: will there ever be a time bank on sky or are we stuck with a blue line? : Yea hence the reason i play on sky? it has no "timebank" people would take the pi ss constantly use it and it would slow the games down way to much  , If there is many players who 10+ tabling who can manage the clock as it is then im sure those who 1/2 table can easily cope. Only time the time bank should be introduced if ever is for the final table mains which still wouldnt be for my benefit but for those who it may help but to be added on cash tables would be terrible indeed.
    Posted by kidwiz10
    There's plenty more times that this. While i agree there are drawbacks - MattBates covered most of these imo so won't go into them, theres plenty of advantages aswell. 

You've mentioned one of these. I think theres far more spots where they'd be even more useful. 
  • edited December 2014
    no no no no....just no
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: will there ever be a time bank on sky or are we stuck with a blue line? : There's plenty more times that this. While i agree there are drawbacks - MattBates covered most of these imo so won't go into them, theres plenty of advantages aswell.  You've mentioned one of these. I think theres far more spots where they'd be even more useful. 
    Posted by The_Don90

Yea they may be usefull for mtt final table eg but for cash id hope they were never added.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: will there ever be a time bank on sky or are we stuck with a blue line? : Yea they may be usefull for mtt final table eg but for cash id hope they were never added.
    Posted by kidwiz10
    I haven't played alot of cash with a timebank to comment on that 

I defo agree they shouldnt be on some games. But on the whole they are needed IMO 
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: will there ever be a time bank on sky or are we stuck with a blue line? : I haven't played alot of cash with a timebank to comment on that  I defo agree they shouldnt be on some games. But on the whole they are needed IMO 
    Posted by The_Don90

You gotta imagine if it was a 30 second time bank on top of the original 15 seconds and you got more than 1 player using it per hand on a 6 max it would be an utter nightmare theres just no reason to need more than 15 seconds to make a decision in cash maybe for mtt in the very late stages but besides that just no need.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: will there ever be a time bank on sky or are we stuck with a blue line? : You gotta imagine if it was a 30 second time bank on top of the original 15 seconds and you got more than 1 player using it per hand on a 6 max it would be an utter nightmare theres just no reason to need more than 15 seconds to make a decision in cash maybe for mtt in the very late stages but besides that just no need.
    Posted by kidwiz10
    There are many spots which are pretty close in poker. These spots have the biggest differance on your win rate. At any time of any stage of any game these spots can come up - while i agree I wouldn't have them on DYMs - theres lots of reasons to have them at any stages. 

At the same time this doesn't have to be a static 30 seconds. Say its a maximum of 30 seconds per hour per player (30 seconds on each table would be seperate) and it only ever replenished to 30 seconds - would this be more appealing? 

• edited December 2014
    Play a lot of cash 6+ tabling on a site with timebanks and it doesn't slow the games down much at all. Probably only dip into maybe 2-3 times a session but it's nice to have a bit of extra thinking time for really tough decisions.

Fwiw you only get 10 secs added per hour so it's not like everyone is tanking for 30+ secs every hand.

Would like to see something similar here...
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: will there ever be a time bank on sky or are we stuck with a blue line? : There are many spots which are pretty close in poker. These spots have the biggest differance on your win rate. At any time of any stage of any game these spots can come up - while i agree I wouldn't have them on DYMs - theres lots of reasons to have them at any stages.  At the same time this doesn't have to be a static 30 seconds. Say its a maximum of 30 seconds per hour per player (30 seconds on each table would be seperate) and it only ever replenished to 30 seconds - would this be more appealing? 
    Posted by The_Don90
    +1

this is probably the perfect way of having a time bank in MTTs and it cold be only allowed to get used post flop that way people are going to be forced to waste chips for the sake of letting the timer drop.

think of it like this most sports including football now have technolegy to help out with very tough decisions and in sports where it's common such as cricket they only allowed 2 challenges.

so 30 seconds through the whole hour and only allowed to be used post flop as you will have wasted chips yourself, so those who take an MTT seriously will consider it stupid to limp in and them who do limping frequently are already consistantly causing the time to go down by as long as a minute.
  • edited December 2014
    Not sure what limping has to do with a timebank?